Low-dose niacinamide has striking anti-obesity effects

Mauritio

I did 500mg twice a day for maybe a month now. No weight loss. On the contrary it seems to cause water retention, causes some acne and causes a puffy face and dry, shrunken eyes. I used thornes 500mg capsules which are pricy and have no excipients.

Someone mentioned 20g sugar per 250mg niacinamide, I definitely got more than that ratio of sugar to niacinamide.

I am now thinking whether i should cut down to 500mg 3x a week or even 500mg once a week. Instead of 500mg twice daily. I dont think 500mg once daily will be tolerable either.

For some it supposedly caused constipation? I dont know about that but if i took 1000mg all at once it would cause diarrhea

I now ordered legions b complex which does have magnesium stearate and silica. But it has some good low doses of the b vitamins. One capsule has 7.5mg b1, 5mg b2 and 5mg b6, 12.5mg niacinamide, 12.5mg b5, 50mcg biotin, 125mg inositol, 125mg choline, 200mcg methylfolate, 50mg ubiquinone, 50mcg b12

These dosages seem a lot lower than most b complexes. And I would only use it 4x a week
On the alternate days i was thinking of doing zma which would provide 3.5mg pyridoxine b6, 150mg magnesium and 10mg zinc

So besides those i could possibly add 500mg niacinamide once a week
If the higher doses dont work for you. Maybe try the low doses that has worked in terms of weight loss for some , speaking of 10-50mg/day.
For me Ive noticed that it wasnt niacinamide which made me gain weight, but biotin. Everytime I take biotin I gain weight the next day. If I dont take it for a day or two I lose it again. It seems to be because it inhibits FAO. Vitamin E lowers lipolysis, so for me that seems to lead to weight gain as well. On the contrary vitamin K and D seem to help weight loss. Go figure...

Dr. B

If the higher doses dont work for you. Maybe try the low doses that has worked in terms of weight loss for some , speaking of 10-50mg/day.
For me Ive noticed that it wasnt niacinamide which made me gain weight, but biotin. Everytime I take biotin I gain weight the next day. If I dont take it for a day or two I lose it again. It seems to be because it inhibits FAO. Vitamin E lowers lipolysis, so for me that seems to lead to weight gain as well. On the contrary vitamin K and D seem to help weight loss. Go figure...

Wow! What dosage of biotin was that?
I think b5 increases FAO and is considered a pro stress b vitamin?
It also helps reduce acne while biotin increases acne. I wonder if its combined with biotin mahbe could negate its weight gain effects? Also 50mcg is maybe a low dose bioton only 150% rda?

Mauritio

Wow! What dosage of biotin was that?
I think b5 increases FAO and is considered a pro stress b vitamin?
It also helps reduce acne while biotin increases acne. I wonder if its combined with biotin mahbe could negate its weight gain effects? Also 50mcg is maybe a low dose bioton only 150% rda?
That was an average dose of 2-3mg per day. Now I take 1-2mg ever second or third day.
Not sure if its pro stress per se, otherwise haidut wouldnt have included it in energin and peat also has a few positive comments on it in his older books. B5 lowers biotin I think. 50mcg is definitely a low dose ,yes. Maybe taking b5 with wont lead to weight gain thats a good thought, although if it only because b5 lowers biotin then that kind of defeats the purpose of taking it.

Dr. B

That was an average dose of 2-3mg per day. Now I take 1-2mg ever second or third day.
Not sure if its pro stress per se, otherwise haidut wouldnt have included it in energin and peat also has a few positive comments on it in his older books. B5 lowers biotin I think. 50mcg is definitely a low dose ,yes. Maybe taking b5 with wont lead to weight gain thats a good thought, although if it only because b5 lowers biotin then that kind of defeats the purpose of taking it.

Regarding vitamin E I thought it doesnt change lipolysis but just makes lipolysis safer thanks to saturating the PUFA? I did not know it lowers lipolysis

Mauritio

Regarding vitamin E I thought it doesnt change lipolysis but just makes lipolysis safer thanks to saturating the PUFA? I did not know it lowers lipolysis
I think it lowers excessive lypolisis. I dont know if thats the reason, but I do gain weight on it.

Peater

I think it lowers excessive lypolisis. I dont know if thats the reason, but I do gain weight on it.

That's really surprising but thanks for posting. I assumed anything anti-estrogen and pro-'saturation' would lead to weight loss.

Mauritio

That's really surprising but thanks for posting. I assumed anything anti-estrogen and pro-'saturation' would lead to weight loss.
No, I used to gain weight on a lot of peaty substances. I think if your liver can't handle it ,it will just result in a cortisol increase, which is of course going to lead to weight gain. Took me only 5 years to figure that out :D

Peater

No, I used to gain weight on a lot of peaty substances. I think if your liver can't handle it ,it will just result in a cortisol increase, which is of course going to lead to weight gain. Took me only 5 years to figure that out :D

Hah! When you say the liver can't handle it, do you mean from a glycogen perspective, or a 'filtering/processing' perspective? It's strange as you'd think anything pro-metabolic would help given sufficient calories but maybe that's where the liver (And not the thyroid necessarily) come in,

Dr. B

From biotin i never used it long enough to observe weight gain but jt would cause acne. Even niacinamide causes some acne but biotin and choline supplements cause the most, across all brands. Theres a lot of reviews for biotin across all brands claiming it causes bad acne.
It’s something related to its pro hair growth effect. Even niacinamide increases keratin production supposedly but it also decreases sebum production or something that’s why i think it only causes a mild increase

Peater

From biotin i never used it long enough to observe weight gain but jt would cause acne. Even niacinamide causes some acne but biotin and choline supplements cause the most, across all brands. Theres a lot of reviews for biotin across all brands claiming it causes bad acne.
It’s something related to its pro hair growth effect. Even niacinamide increases keratin production supposedly but it also decreases sebum production or something that’s why i think it only causes a mild increase

Biotin and pantothenic acid (B5) are antagonists and B5 is reasonably well known as an acne relief supplement, so that makes sense.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals