Niacinamide For Type II Diabetes

haidut

Forum Supporter
Ray has written about trials with niacinamide showing remission of even some type I diabetes cases. This study compared niacin to niacinamide for type II diabetes, and found niacinamide to be superior most likely due to stronger effect on mitochondrial biogenesis. Human dose equivalent would be about 1.2g-1.5g a day.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24314867

"...With regard to NAD-sirtuin pathway, intracellular nicotinamide phosphoribosyltransferase, NAD, the NAD/NADH ratio, Sirt1, 2, 3, and 6 mRNA expressions, and Sirt1 activity all increased in livers of NAM 100-treated rats. These alterations were accompanied by the increased levels of proliferator-activated receptor gamma, coactivator 1 alpha and mitochondrial DNA. The effect of NA treatment was less evident than that of NAM 100. These results demonstrate that NAM is more effective than NA on the regulation of glucose metabolism and the NAD-sirtuin pathway, which may relate to the altered mitochondrial biogenesis. "

burtlancast

haidut said:
Ray has written about trials with niacinamide showing remission of even some type I diabetes cases.

Do you have the reference ?
To my knowledge, the only type 2 diabetes cure he gave as an example was his father's ( with a 2 weeks fast on brewer's yeast).

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
burtlancast said:
haidut said:
Ray has written about trials with niacinamide showing remission of even some type I diabetes cases.

To my knowledge, the only type 2 diabetes cure he gave as an example was his father's ( with a 2 weeks fast on brewer's yeast).

There are several older studies showing remission in some pediatric patients. I have to dig hard for all of them but here are some:

http://www.restoreunity.org/cure_type1_ ... ht_now.htm
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2881146
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15132730

superhuman

wow, RP recommends only 50-100mg 2-3 times a day.
1,2-1.5g seems like alot and im afraid of getting headache and it will also prevent loosing some fat that i so dearly want to loose :P
If i take 1 dose of niacinamide i can take a very hefty dose without getting some ill effects but if i take 2-3 dosages of say 500mg i can get a headache

tara

superhuman said:
wow, RP recommends only 50-100mg 2-3 times a day.
1,2-1.5g seems like alot and im afraid of getting headache and it will also prevent loosing some fat that i so dearly want to loose :P
If i take 1 dose of niacinamide i can take a very hefty dose without getting some ill effects but if I take 2-3 dosages of say 500mg i can get a headache
Possibly because you are not eating enough carbohydrates to support improved sugar oxidation?

sladerunner69

[ moderator edit: posts moved from Niacinamide Can Help Treat Highly Drug-resistant Bacterial Infections ]

Yes, if the effective concentration was 1mM then 5g-6g of niacinamide are needed. You mentioned 1 nM, which I assume was typo, right? Also, the antibacterial effects could be due in part to higher NAD levels and raising NAD through niacinamide in both mice and humans has pretty similar pharmacokinetics.
Anyways, thanks for pointing it out and btw even 5g-6g of niacinamide as a single dose or taken for just a few days is probably still pretty safe. In one toxicity study it took 5g of niacinamide daily for 4 weeks to cause minor liver enzyme elevations in about 20% of the patients. I am assuming the antibacterial treatment will only last a few days (maybe up to a week) similar to what is done with antibiotics.

Someone else posted this study about niacinimide potentially triggering type 2 diabetes and insulin sensitivity? Are Low Doses of Niacin Dangerous? - Perfect Health Diet | Perfect Health Diet

Does this concern you at all?

Last edited by a moderator:

raypeatclips

Someone else posted this study about niacinimide potentially triggering type 2 diabetes and insulin sensitivity? Are Low Doses of Niacin Dangerous? - Perfect Health Diet | Perfect Health Diet

Does this concern you at all?

These are the studies:

Chronic niacin overload may be involved in the increased prevalence of obesity in US children. - PubMed - NCBI
Nicotinamide overload may play a role in the development of type 2 diabetes. - PubMed - NCBI

I am not sure why they keep changing between saying niacin then nicotinamide.

sladerunner69

I am fairly certain that the obesity epidemic stems from inefficient glucose metabolism brought on by PUFA and other unasturated fat consumption.

I think niacinimide can significantly icnrease the emtabolism of blood glucose so t is necessary to throoughly refuel it.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I am fairly certain that the obesity epidemic stems from inefficient glucose metabolism brought on by PUFA and other unasturated fat consumption.

I think niacinimide can significantly icnrease the emtabolism of blood glucose so t is necessary to throoughly refuel it.

Most of the studies showing insulin resistance used niacin. That is not surprising as niacin increases systemic lipolysis. There are only a few studies with niacinamide and most of them showed improved insulin sensitivity.
Niacinamide For Type II Diabetes

Kartoffel

To me reports like this pretty much sound like "cures"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2058092/pdf/brmedj03819-0028c.pdf

"Nicotinic Acid Amide in Diabetes

SIR,-Ever since my student days diabetes mellitus has fascinated and intrigued me. At that time I evolved a theory that this only too rampant disease was a deficiency one, the deficiency existing in some vitamin, known or unknown. It was my contention that the islets of Langerhans required an adequate quantity of some special vitamin in order to function normally, and that a lack or inadequate quantity would result in islet of Langerhans insufficiency. In order to pursue this question I required an intelligent and co-operative diabetic who was not partaking of insulin therapy. This last essential was necessary in order that the results could not be attributable to the insulin intake. To be brief, massive doses of different vitamins were tried (but not D, E, or K), without any improvement in the blood sugar manifesting itself. One massive dose of nicotinic acid discouraged further investigation " up that alley " by virtue of the almost unbelievably violent recurrent flushing of the entire body. However, I resorted to the nicotinic acid armide instead, and it is the result of this "experiment" that I wish to report.

The patient, a highly intelligent and co-operative man of about 40 years-of age, is a foreman in a garage and agreed to try the administration of the amide.
1. On a rigid diet of about 1,200 calories (of which approximately 70 g. was protein, carbohydrate 90 g., and fat about 60 g.) the " fasting " blood sugar was 160 mg. per 100 c.cm. of blood. In the normal the blood sugar drops below fasting level in two hours. I endeavored to take the blood from the patient about 2 hours after the same meal, thus having the blood at the most suitable time.
2. After the administration of 1,200 mg. of nicotinic acid amide, in the form of six tablets each containing 200 mg., for a month, the blood sugar registered 60 mg. of sugar per 100 c.cm. of blood- i.e., a drop of about 100 mg.: a tremendous fall.
3. The patient was then instructed to " eat a normal diet " but to proceed with the administration of his amide. However, becoming rather worried over his " low sugar," he of his own accord reduced the tablets to 400 mg: daily. After about 14 days his blood sugar was again estimated, and registered 120 mg. of sugar per 100 c.cm. of blood-an increase of 60 mg. over the previous result, but 40 mg. below his blood sugar when he maintained a rigid diet but without any tablets, and he was now enjoying " normal " meals.
4. I thereupon instructed the patient to proceed with his " normal " diet, but to increase the dosage of the nicotinic acid amide to the original 1,200 mg. daily. The subsequent blood-sugar-estimation registered 100 mg. per 100 c.cm. of blood. (The normal blood sugar is 80 to 120 mg.)
I have not investigated the patient as fully as I would have liked because of lack of facilities and time, neither have I pursued the investigation in a great number of cases, but the results appear, so far, vastly encouraging. The nicotinic acid amide may be what we have been looking for.-I am, etc.,

W. GORDON."​

forterpride

Ray has written about trials with niacinamide showing remission of even some type I diabetes cases. This study compared niacin to niacinamide for type II diabetes, and found niacinamide to be superior most likely due to stronger effect on mitochondrial biogenesis. Human dose equivalent would be about 1.2g-1.5g a day.

Nicotinamide improves glucose metabolism and affects the hepatic NAD-sirtuin pathway in a rodent model of obesity and type 2 diabetes - PubMed

"...With regard to NAD-sirtuin pathway, intracellular nicotinamide phosphoribosyltransferase, NAD, the NAD/NADH ratio, Sirt1, 2, 3, and 6 mRNA expressions, and Sirt1 activity all increased in livers of NAM 100-treated rats. These alterations were accompanied by the increased levels of proliferator-activated receptor gamma, coactivator 1 alpha and mitochondrial DNA. The effect of NA treatment was less evident than that of NAM 100. These results demonstrate that NAM is more effective than NA on the regulation of glucose metabolism and the NAD-sirtuin pathway, which may relate to the altered mitochondrial biogenesis. "
So what would be better for type 2 diabetes...Pyrucet or Niacin? Thanks Haidut.

Dr. B

i dont get it, if niacinamide showing remission of diabetes, why most people experiencing fat gain with it?

Im not sure, it could be it inhibits lipolysis too much? or maybe it requires doing a very lowfat diet alongside it? I think milk doesnt have much niacin/niacinamide in it and it could be due to the fat content... possibly if youre supplementing niacinamide your body wont burn fat. additionally i heard the fat burning mechanism in the body is there for a purpose; if we couldnt burn fat, we would instantly start dissolving our skin or muscles or organs and converting them to sugar each time we went out for a run or exercise. so any stressful situation would quickly deteriorate the body. if youre taking something like niacinamide and possibly aspirin, which force you to burn more carbs, they may cause a stress reaction where the body is encouraged to boost cortisol and convert tissues to sugars. even if you megadose on more sugars to support the niacinamide and reduce chances of your body turning its own tissues to sugar, that would still reduce the chances of your body burning its own fat.

Higher amounts of niacinamide will inhibit fat burning. Georgy was saying on a recent episode of Danny Roddy that normal doses don’t inhibit fat burning but high doses do. It is likely that the dosage required to get the body to burn sugar are probably high enough to inhibit a lot of fat burning and therefore inhibit weight loss.

Dr. B

Higher amounts of niacinamide will inhibit fat burning. Georgy was saying on a recent episode of Danny Roddy that normal doses don’t inhibit fat burning but high doses do. It is likely that the dosage required to get the body to burn sugar are probably high enough to inhibit a lot of fat burning and therefore inhibit weight loss.
burning fat isnt too big an issue if its saturated/mufa anyway right?just not as good as burning carbs, but not negative like burning pufa either? milk has very little niacinamide but, it has tryptophan which may convert if needed.

OkayByTheSea

Great insights, folks. I could use some help.

I am trying to create a regimen for type-II diabetes. So far, I understand that:
1. Type-II diabetics can consume sugar, ad-libitum. Sugar is not the culprit; it is therapeutic.
2. PUFA restriction is necessary for better outcomes. SFA is therapeutic.
3. B vitamins (B1, B3, B6, B7) are therapeutic to the cause.
4. Milk, gelatin, and Fruits are the preferred diet.
5. Aspirin, D3, K2 are therapeutic to the cause.
6. -- what else can be added here?

My questions - where I could use some insights and advice from the group - are as follows:
1. I cannot tolerate more than 200 mg/day of Niacinamide, despite eating any amount of sugar with them. Some studies posted by @haidut talk about 1000mg/day or more for controlling diabetes. My question is - should I soldier on with a gram a day and tolerance will be built or should I reduce the intake and increment gradually?
2. I can't sustain without adding starches; too few calories come from 1.5 liters of milk and 1.5 liters of orange juice. I also eat around 200 grams of cottage cheese, a medium size carrot, and two eggs cooked in coconut oil. Any suggestions on what can be added?
3. Is cooking in coconut oil (2 teaspoons/day) a problematic thing for a diabetic?

Please advise.

Truly,
OTBS

cami06

Great insights, folks. I could use some help.

I am trying to create a regimen for type-II diabetes. So far, I understand that:
1. Type-II diabetics can consume sugar, ad-libitum. Sugar is not the culprit; it is therapeutic.
2. PUFA restriction is necessary for better outcomes. SFA is therapeutic.
3. B vitamins (B1, B3, B6, B7) are therapeutic to the cause.
4. Milk, gelatin, and Fruits are the preferred diet.
5. Aspirin, D3, K2 are therapeutic to the cause.
6. -- what else can be added here?

My questions - where I could use some insights and advice from the group - are as follows:
1. I cannot tolerate more than 200 mg/day of Niacinamide, despite eating any amount of sugar with them. Some studies posted by @haidut talk about 1000mg/day or more for controlling diabetes. My question is - should I soldier on with a gram a day and tolerance will be built or should I reduce the intake and increment gradually?
2. I can't sustain without adding starches; too few calories come from 1.5 liters of milk and 1.5 liters of orange juice. I also eat around 200 grams of cottage cheese, a medium size carrot, and two eggs cooked in coconut oil. Any suggestions on what can be added?
3. Is cooking in coconut oil (2 teaspoons/day) a problematic thing for a diabetic?

Please advise.

Truly,
OTBS
Hi There,
I'm a 72 year old man in overall great shape for now but with prediabetes. My average glucose reading in the mornings is 111.
I am a little bit frustrated because I have tried and am trying many of the suggestions on this site and have had no encouraging results.I was wondering if you could share with me any results you have noticed in your treatment process and any suggestions you might have.
Thanks!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals