Caffeine intolerance

iLoveSugar

Caffeine in Pepsi or coke give me awful palpitations that last for 24 hours or so. No matter the amount of food I consume with it, it just doesn't bode well for me.

Any ideas what causes a Caffeine intolerance?

Bozidar

Forum Supporter
Caffeine in Pepsi or coke give me awful palpitations that last for 24 hours or so. No matter the amount of food I consume with it, it just doesn't bode well for me.

How do you know it's caffeine?

N3G4T3

How do you know it's caffeine?
+1 to this.

One would need to order isolated caffeine, and work the dosage up, on separate days, to the same amount that's in Pepsi or Coke, and stopping the test early if palpitations occur before reaching the Pepsi or Coke dosage. The results will vary, depending on variables, like current stress, thyroid function, micro-nutrient and macro-nutrient levels at the time of test, etc.

You could test coffee, however, you may react negatively to the other compounds in coffee. I get brain fog with some coffee, with straight caffeine, on the other hand, I have no issues. Thiamine (Vitamin B1) helps, but doesn't get rid of the issue.

If it is a caffeine intolerance, and it isn't a genetic sensitivity, then you possibly have high stress as it is, and the caffeine could be further agonizing it, increasing adrenaline, then as a result, palpitations.

There could be other additives in the Pepsi and Coke increasing your stress levels. Combined with the caffeine, it could act synergistically, and intensify the negative effect.

Up to you if you want to test caffeine on its own to determine how sensitive you currently are to it, just be careful with the dosages.

Regardless, I'd say keeping your caffeine consumption below stress response is how it should always be done.

GTW

For me combinations of sugar, alcohol, caffeine caused PVCs, premature ventricular contractions. Not the life threatening kind.
Determine excess level and avoid.
Simple answer to your question would be, one man's meat is another man's poison.

PopSocket

Could be the caffeine or could be the phosphoric acid in coke which makes the body dump its magnesium.

wzuo

Confirming that when I was in high stressed state I was unable to drink any amount of coffee, or anything that had caffeine. I got palpitationsc anxiety and stomach issues just after drinking. No nutrition solved this short term so it's a long process to fix underlying stress.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

+1 to this.

One would need to order isolated caffeine, and work the dosage up, on separate days, to the same amount that's in Pepsi or Coke, and stopping the test early if palpitations occur before reaching the Pepsi or Coke dosage. The results will vary, depending on variables, like current stress, thyroid function, micro-nutrient and macro-nutrient levels at the time of test, etc.

You could test coffee, however, you may react negatively to the other compounds in coffee. I get brain fog with some coffee, with straight caffeine, on the other hand, I have no issues. Thiamine (Vitamin B1) helps, but doesn't get rid of the issue.

If it is a caffeine intolerance, and it isn't a genetic sensitivity, then you possibly have high stress as it is, and the caffeine could be further agonizing it, increasing adrenaline, then as a result, palpitations.

There could be other additives in the Pepsi and Coke increasing your stress levels. Combined with the caffeine, it could act synergistically, and intensify the negative effect.

Up to you if you want to test caffeine on its own to determine how sensitive you currently are to it, just be careful with the dosages.

Regardless, I'd say keeping your caffeine consumption below stress response is how it should always be done.
I had to cut coffee out like 10 years ago and go to decaf because of the same issues. No matter what I ate with it, I became extremely hypersensitive, wired in a bad way, etc.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

For me combinations of sugar, alcohol, caffeine caused PVCs, premature ventricular contractions. Not the life threatening kind.
Determine excess level and avoid.
Simple answer to your question would be, one man's meat is another man's poison.
Agree, but there is underlying causes to this that I would like to figure out.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

Confirming that when I was in high stressed state I was unable to drink any amount of coffee, or anything that had caffeine. I got palpitationsc anxiety and stomach issues just after drinking. No nutrition solved this short term so it's a long process to fix underlying stress.
Definitely sounds like me. My body us very stressed solely due to health issues and nothing else. Any tips on things that helped you that I could possibly look for?

Bozidar

Forum Supporter
@iLoveSugar now that I am thinking. This used to happen to me when I was keto. I would be exhausted from work and exercise and then on my free day off of work I would drink coffee, but that resulted in strange heart hickups.
I think it happens cause caffeine agonizes dopamine and that dopamine converts to adrenaline. If you body is not ready to go full throttle for whatever reason its gonna be like this.
You know like pushing a gas pedal to the max on an old car

wzuo

Definitely sounds like me. My body us very stressed solely due to health issues and nothing else. Any tips on things that helped you that I could possibly look for?
This is what I have also been thinking but I've realized that this is not just only stress caused by health issues. There are many things in my life that induced stress but I wasn't aware of them. Besides this what helped me is to have proper nutrition, eat frequently, supplement thyroid and cypro

Bozidar

Forum Supporter
This is what I have also been thinking but I've realized that this is not just only stress caused by health issues. There are many things in my life that induced stress but I wasn't aware of them. Besides this what helped me is to have proper nutrition, eat frequently, supplement thyroid and cypro
Can I ask what is cypro doing for you?
I am perplexed about cyproheptadine, so many people are using it, but I also read it has side effects.
I ordered a bottle, I will get it in a week, but could you describe what are you using it for, what is it doing and if you have any side effects?

Thanks

GTW

Agree, but there is underlying causes to this that I would like to figure out.
I told you the underlying causes for me. At that level I knew how to prevent the harmful effects. No need for biochemical mechanistic reductionist rabbit holes.

wzuo

Can I ask what is cypro doing for you?
I am perplexed about cyproheptadine, so many people are using it, but I also read it has side effects.
I ordered a bottle, I will get it in a week, but could you describe what are you using it for, what is it doing and if you have any side effects?

Thanks
I had no side effects except weight gain which was good because I was underweight. I was not expecting anything from taking it, but it turned out to be a great choice. It solved my depression, managed me to calm down, bumped up my libido. Life stopped being meaningless and I have started to get back emotions. I took 2x1mg since April but since December I'm trying to take only 1mg in the evening to see if it solved my issues or the underlying problem still occurs. You can safely start with 2mg, it's not much. Maybe in bigger dosages you'll get too much calming effect, but I haven't tried. Waking up was more difficult but on other hand I started to sleep whole night without waking up and having bad dreams.
What is my biggest problem now is lack of sun in Europe in winter, unfortunately it's no easily solvable. In last month there was 2, maybe 3 days where you could see a sun despite clouds… I have noticed that more than 10 years ago but each year it is more difficult to survive that lackness of sun.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

I have used cypro for about 8 years now. Problem with me is that it makes be astronomically tired and fatigued the next day. I'm already sluggish, tired, and fatigue without it, so this just compounds.

Coffee and cocoa beans are two of the most pesticide laden foods, so I am thinking you may be reacting to the pesticides instead. If not that it could be the corn in the sweeteners, which by the way is heavily sprayed with pesticides too. I buy an organic Mexican cola sweetened with organic cane sugar in glass bottles. Then there is the can plastic liners that is something to consider.

“Coca-Cola and PepsiCo sold soft drinks containing pesticides harmful to human health and misled India's 1 billion people over claims that their products were safe for human consumption, Indian MPs concluded yesterday.”

“Tests by campaigners showed Pepsi's soft drinks had 36 times the level of pesticide residues permitted under EU regulations and Coca-Cola's had 30 times the level.
The CSE said that, in all 12 of the soft drinks it tested, toxins including lindane and DDT were found. If ingested over long periods, these chemicals could lead to cancer and failure of the immune system. Similar tests on US colas found no such residues.”

“BPA, a component of plastic and epoxy manufacturing, is found in the lining of beverage cans and many other products. It is an estrogen analogue and may cause a variety of health problems.”

“BPA exposure acutely increases blood pressure in elderly women. One canned drink serving is sufficient to significantly increase BPA concentrations in the body, while two canned drink servings causes a transient, measurable blood pressure effect.

It can be implied that a substantial amount of BPA leached from the can liners and into the canned beverages. This suggests that the consumption of canned beverages (depending on the BPA content of the packaging) will not only increase the BPA concentration in the body, but also have measurable, negative effects on blood pressure. Drinking the same beverage from a BPA-free glass bottle does not result in this response.”

OP
I

iLoveSugar

Coffee and cocoa beans are two of the most pesticide laden foods, so I am thinking you may be reacting to the pesticides instead. If not that it could be the corn in the sweeteners, which by the way is heavily sprayed with pesticides too. I buy an organic Mexican cola sweetened with organic cane sugar in glass bottles. Then there is the can plastic liners that is something to consider.

“Coca-Cola and PepsiCo sold soft drinks containing pesticides harmful to human health and misled India's 1 billion people over claims that their products were safe for human consumption, Indian MPs concluded yesterday.”

“Tests by campaigners showed Pepsi's soft drinks had 36 times the level of pesticide residues permitted under EU regulations and Coca-Cola's had 30 times the level.
The CSE said that, in all 12 of the soft drinks it tested, toxins including lindane and DDT were found. If ingested over long periods, these chemicals could lead to cancer and failure of the immune system. Similar tests on US colas found no such residues.”

“BPA, a component of plastic and epoxy manufacturing, is found in the lining of beverage cans and many other products. It is an estrogen analogue and may cause a variety of health problems.”

“BPA exposure acutely increases blood pressure in elderly women. One canned drink serving is sufficient to significantly increase BPA concentrations in the body, while two canned drink servings causes a transient, measurable blood pressure effect.

It can be implied that a substantial amount of BPA leached from the can liners and into the canned beverages. This suggests that the consumption of canned beverages (depending on the BPA content of the packaging) will not only increase the BPA concentration in the body, but also have measurable, negative effects on blood pressure. Drinking the same beverage from a BPA-free glass bottle does not result in this response.”

I never drink anything with corn. I either drink Mexican coke or Pepsi with real sugar.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

Today was as bad as any day I've ever had, so clearly caffeine isn't the only thing. There has to be other triggers.

N3G4T3

Today was as bad as any day I've ever had, so clearly caffeine isn't the only thing. There has to be other triggers.
What does your daily diet comprise of? As in food, drink, anything that enters the mouth.

What comes into contact with your skin throughout the day? As in what you use to bathe, and anything you apply to your body.

What is your daily schedule like? As in physical and mental activity, sunlight, and sedentariness.

All of these factors play a big part in how you feel and function.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals