Why Did This Happen When I Drank ______?

Peatful

I searched Peat's work and this forum for understanding.
I got nothing.

Hope some of you can give hypotheses on this reaction.

Bear with me as I sort through relevant data to share.

I drank Mexican Coke for the first time approximately a month ago; fell in love with it.
Switched to glass bottled pure sugared Pepsi about one week ago.
Then it happened...
After I had my morning Pepsi with food I got out of the shower and noted pain in my big toes. Both.
They started to swell at such a rate that my toenails changed color and the sides and the cuticles pulled away from the nail.

My fingers had no such reaction.
Why do I think it was the Pepsi? Because no other factors changed. Now, since I haven't had any, the swelling subsided.

Other related data about me is my love for, but low stomach tolerance, to coffee.
I have no issue with caffeine pills.
I didn't have this reaction to Mexican coke, but is that an indication of coke vs Pepsi differences, or that I hit a threshold with cola soda?

I wish now I had taken a photo to share. I have nice feet, but this was horrific looking. I thought I may loose my toenails but it looks like they survived the trauma.

I'm usually a pretty cryptic writer, so this is a lot for me.
Would truly appreciate insights.
I don't know if this is telling of my liver health? Leaky gut? Kidneys?
Intolerance to ingredients in Pepsi? Another chemical reaction?
Clearly not a normal response.

Johhny Tazzle

For what its worth ive noticed pepsi contains citric acid, whereas coke doesnt, citric acid will usually give me digestive troubles ie. gas, the feeling things arent moving as fast.

OP
Peatful

Peatful

OP
Peatful

Peatful

For what its worth ive noticed pepsi contains citric acid, whereas coke doesnt, citric acid will usually give me digestive troubles ie. gas, the feeling things arent moving as fast.
Thx for this data.
So, you can safely drink the Mexican coke?
I didn't know if it was the Pepsi v Coke.
Or if I had hit a dietary threshold of sorts.

OP
Peatful

Peatful

Jsaute21

"Pepsi Throwback" does not contain citric acid.

upload_2018-3-4_15-34-38.png

OP
Peatful

Peatful

"Pepsi Throwback" does not contain citric acid.

View attachment 8598
@Jsaute21
Thx for this.
I went INTO my recycling bin. The Pepsi glass bottles came in a 4pack cardboard carrier.
That had the ingredients listed:
Carbonated water
Sugar
Carmel coloring
Phosphoric acid
Caffeine
Citric acid
Natural flavors

If u have a hunch regarding my reaction, lmk.
Thx again.

fradon

I searched Peat's work and this forum for understanding.
I got nothing.

Hope some of you can give hypotheses on this reaction.

Bear with me as I sort through relevant data to share.

I drank Mexican Coke for the first time approximately a month ago; fell in love with it.
Switched to glass bottled pure sugared Pepsi about one week ago.
Then it happened...
After I had my morning Pepsi with food I got out of the shower and noted pain in my big toes. Both.
They started to swell at such a rate that my toenails changed color and the sides and the cuticles pulled away from the nail.

My fingers had no such reaction.
Why do I think it was the Pepsi? Because no other factors changed. Now, since I haven't had any, the swelling subsided.

Other related data about me is my love for, but low stomach tolerance, to coffee.
I have no issue with caffeine pills.
I didn't have this reaction to Mexican coke, but is that an indication of coke vs Pepsi differences, or that I hit a threshold with cola soda?

I wish now I had taken a photo to share. I have nice feet, but this was horrific looking. I thought I may loose my toenails but it looks like they survived the trauma.

I'm usually a pretty cryptic writer, so this is a lot for me.
Would truly appreciate insights.
I don't know if this is telling of my liver health? Leaky gut? Kidneys?
Intolerance to ingredients in Pepsi? Another chemical reaction?
Clearly not a normal response.

soda will raise your uric acid levels and can give gout like symptoms like big toes swelling. Pepsi usually has more sugar than coke but I don't think it was the Pepsi alone it might have been all the cokes and then the Pepsi. Mexican Coke and Pepsi are not regulated the same way that american sodas are. they could have more phosphoric acid and the water could be more acidic especially if it is reverse osmosis they could have all sorts of chemicals in the product that you would not find in the states. There was also a big issue with CARAMEL COLOR which is a carcinogen. I remember that coke did switch to a different form of caramel color but pepsi did not. Not sure if caramel color would cause the problems you have.

What the Ingredients in Coca-Cola and Pepsi Actually Do to Your Body

cyclops

Mexican Coke and Pepsi are not regulated the same way that american sodas are.

Are there any similar decent priced american sodas that use real sugar? Not talking about expensive artisan type sodas.

OP
Peatful

Peatful

soda will raise your uric acid levels and can give gout like symptoms like big toes swelling. Pepsi usually has more sugar than coke but I don't think it was the Pepsi alone it might have been all the cokes and then the Pepsi. Mexican Coke and Pepsi are not regulated the same way that american sodas are. they could have more phosphoric acid and the water could be more acidic especially if it is reverse osmosis they could have all sorts of chemicals in the product that you would not find in the states. There was also a big issue with CARAMEL COLOR which is a carcinogen. I remember that coke did switch to a different form of caramel color but pepsi did not. Not sure if caramel color would cause the problems you have.

What the Ingredients in Coca-Cola and Pepsi Actually Do to Your Body
Thx @fradon !

Jsaute21

@Jsaute21
Thx for this.
I went INTO my recycling bin. The Pepsi glass bottles came in a 4pack cardboard carrier.
That had the ingredients listed:
Carbonated water
Sugar
Carmel coloring
Phosphoric acid
Caffeine
Citric acid
Natural flavors

If u have a hunch regarding my reaction, lmk.
Thx again.

That's interesting. Where do you live? In Chicago or Florida, where i buy Pepsi Throwback I have never seen citric acid. Must be a special type they made.

OP
Peatful

Peatful

I’m in NC
8C06D9CA-5DF4-4E88-8C8D-8D2DC6192F20.jpeg

Bought it at Publix

OP
Peatful

Peatful

that's interesting. Never seen that specific type. I drink a lot of pepsi so i am interested in this lol.
I bought it after I read a post from @theLaw saying he got his at Publix.
@theLaw :
Is this the Pepsi Real Sugar (glass bottles) you purchase at Publix?
With or without citric acid?

Last edited:

theLaw

I bought it after I read a post from @theLaw saying he got his at Publix.
@theLaw :
Is this the Pepsi Real Sugar (glass bottles) you purchase at Publix?
With or without citric acid?

I just looked, and there's no citric acid on the label (glass bottles). There's also no citric acid in the Real Sugar 8 ounce cans, and I assume the plastic bottles are the same.

51CufV-FkuL.jpg

47953350_Alt01

I always looks for the "Real Sugar" logo in the old font.:darts:

Jsaute21

I just looked, and there's no citric acid on the label (glass bottles). There's also no citric acid in the Real Sugar 8 ounce cans, and I assume the plastic bottles are the same.

51CufV-FkuL.jpg

47953350_Alt01

I always looks for the "Real Sugar" logo in the old font.:darts:

Yeah, this is my exact experience. I have never seen a citric acid in real sugar pepsi but @Peatful proved it to be true earlier with his post. I would tell you to not overly sweat it as most commercial soda has way worse garbage in it than citric acid. I wonder if NC is the only place that sells the citric acid form.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals