Caffeine causing muscle weakness?

Ippodrom47

I've been wondering what can be causing muscle weakness after I've started drinking coffee and tea daily. I'm a very slow caffeine metabolizer according to my genetics (both gene copies). The thing is, most of the time coffee makes me feel energized for some time, other times it causes me to crash. In any case, I've noticed that even when I'm feeling okay, my muscles are weak. I could easily do 14-15 chin-ups before starting to drink coffee, and now I can only do 8-9 tops. It's not correlated with poor sleep, inadequate rest, blood sugar, calories, cortisol or anything. I feel that I really WANT to exercise, but when I start, it's like I'm already tired.

As a slow metabolizer, should I limit myself to 1 small cup a day or skip caffeine on some days? Honestly, I'm not talking about caffeine addiction, I'm only interested in that weird side effect regarding muscle strength. Would it be logical to assume that: I'm a slow metabolizer → whenever I start drinking caffeine every day there happens to be a build-up in my body → liver and endocrine system can't handle it efficiently → more stress and toxicity → muscle weakness while feeling somewhat energized for a short while due to the stimulatory effect of the caffeine on the adrenals?

TheSir

The caffeine could be inducing potassium deficiency by stressing the adrenals. Are you experiencing any other symptoms besides unpredictable weakness?

OP
Ippodrom47

Ippodrom47

The caffeine could be inducing potassium deficiency by stressing the adrenals. Are you experiencing any other symptoms besides unpredictable weakness?
Sometimes it feels as if it slows down my metabolism - feeling cold, slow digestion. Typical hypo stuff.

cs3000

if its not the potassium or dehydration i think its a pointer to low iron
you have low copper high zinc = probably functionally low in iron if you've had that long enough. im low in iron + hypothyroid & when i take certain polyphenols one of the things i notice first is heavy/weak limbs. and worsened tired feeling around the eyes that comes when iron deficiency is high. coffee/tea high in polyphenols

Last edited:

TheSir

Sometimes it feels as if it slows down my metabolism - feeling cold, slow digestion. Typical hypo stuff.
Yeah, same. A day or two of euphoria followed by an increasingly deranged physical & mental condition. Even one day of use leads to a strong hangover effect the next day.

John mcclain

ITS A DRUG THAT RELEASES ADRENALINE AND STRESS HORMONES AND INTURN SPEEDS MOST PROCESSES UP INCLUDING METABOLISM...MOST AROUND BELEIVE THAT TO BE A GOOD....AMPHETAMINE DOES THE SAME THING...maybe we need more aspirin or thyroid or other like copious amounts of coke maybe...
But seriously say this out loud and think about the madness peaters go through

TheSir

ITS A DRUG THAT RELEASES ADRENALINE AND STRESS HORMONES AND INTURN SPEEDS MOST PROCESSES UP INCLUDING METABOLISM...MOST AROUND BELEIVE THAT TO BE A GOOD....AMPHETAMINE DOES THE SAME THING...maybe we need more aspirin or thyroid or other like copious amounts of coke maybe...
But seriously say this out loud and think about the madness peaters go through
Strangely, heavy amphetamine use took a longer time to ruin me than caffeine, even though it's a much stronger stimulant. Hangovers and withdrawals were non-existent in comparison too.

PopSocket

Lots of hate towards Coffee in this thread : D I agree - it ages the body. Increasing metabolism at any cost using stimulants is a BAD idea for a relatively healthy organism.

The metabolic rate is set by the body using LOTS OF DATA from all tissues and organs. If the organism does not want to up metabolism, there is an underlying reason for this, either a deficiency/toxins that will get in the wrong places, some issues with the heart or some other organ that cannot keep up etc etc. It is very often hard to know.

I used to call it cocaine light and get some backlash over this comparison but it is exactly like COKE in effect. Just lighter : D

Coffee is real good if used once or twice a week as a cleanser for the gut. This is something it is really good at just like the other stimulants - activating the peristalsis and putting it in overdrive. Probably why it is so good for the liver.

Peatress

Coffee can deplete copper if the diet is not adequate.

“Biotin and vitamin B6 and panthenic acid and selenium and copper are things that are among the first to become deficient if you try to run on too much coffee and sugar and not enough food.” Ray Peat

mostlylurking

I've been wondering what can be causing muscle weakness after I've started drinking coffee and tea daily.
Both coffee and tea block thiamine. Thiamine functional blockage and thiamine deficiency share many symptoms of thyroid deficiency because each block oxidative metabolism but in different ways.

Parrot

For me I find there is a food/exercise link. If I have coffee without food or exercise either side of it I feel like you have described, however if I have eaten or exercised there are no adverse effects.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals