Re-introducing Caffeine Back In To My Diet . How Should I Do It?

So I can give a short background. I used to actually drink a LOT of caffeine (or at least it seemed that way as I was never really a caffeine drinker until I hit my 20s). I think I would have 200-500mg per day, often all at once between energy drinks. Knowing so many stories here about the pros of caffeine and anecdotes, plus the science behind it, it occurred to me that I'm possibly doing myself a disservice by having nearly completely removed it from my diet. When at my highest consumption I would solely get it from energy drinks I would use to fool myself in to thinking I had an excellent metabolism (was mostly just stress hormones + caffeine + will power which can seem like excellent conditioning from the surface).

So I've been thinking of getting some back in, but not sure where. I was thinking about coffee, but that's never been my regular forte (not really a coffee drinker, but I don't hate it or anything). Should I start with coffee? Pick up energy drinks here and there maybe (being more mindful of which ones though)? What about just pure caffeine straight? I know there must be differences between, say, a plain cup of coffee and additives/crap in some energy drinks.

I've been almost completely off of it for months now, so I might need to start slower. Another last thing that's important to me is fear of triggering stress/adrenaline or getting "hopped up" and fooling myself/going too far. I don't want to "get energy" to fall back in to the pseudo-good metabolism illusion of being hypermetabolic/extremely energized or such from high caffeine doses, which can pair with and/or bring back loads of adrenaline. I was so sucked in to that before and it made the crash build up all that much worse when you realize your underlying, weak condition without the endless stress + stimulants. So any input would be appreciated, I suppose.

Barry

I am in the same situation. I restarted coffee after quitting many years ago. I think the benefits of caffeine are only found when the caffeine is consumed as part of coffee. Soda doesn't have the same benefits. My experience with coffee has been mixed. I used to never get headaches. Now I get them regularly if I drink too much caffeine one day, and try to have less the next. I think I would be better off without caffeine to be honest. I am back to reducing my intake now and hope to quit soon. I think the big problem is that it is a diuretic, it makes you piss out things that your body may want to retain. I think the best things in the RP protocol are fruit, sugar, coconut oil, b-vitamins, red light/sunlight, the carrot salad, and, most importantly, cutting out the PUFAs.

rei

Energy drinks can be good once in a while, like one per day. But more than that i would definitely go with coffee, it can be seen as medicine while energy drinks are industrial food.

Vinero

Caffeine pills work much better than coffee for me. Much cleaner energy. Too much coffee gives me headaches and upset stomach, while caffeine pills provide a clean buzz.

OP
MetabolicTrash
I've started with the occasional coffee again and seems to be no issues so far! Looks like I'll just have some coffee every week or such and see where to go from there.

redsun

I've started with the occasional coffee again and seems to be no issues so far! Looks like I'll just have some coffee every week or such and see where to go from there.

I would just go grab an energy drink whenever you feel like it. Whatever is most convenient. Maybe coffee tomorrow, then buy an energy drink the next day. Monster is my favorite one, like the taste but if you like redbull or something else it doesn't matter. Obviously you want a energy with actual carbs in it, none of that zero carb drink crap.

OP
MetabolicTrash
I would just go grab an energy drink whenever you feel like it. Whatever is most convenient. Maybe coffee tomorrow, then buy an energy drink the next day. Monster is my favorite one, like the taste but if you like redbull or something else it doesn't matter. Obviously you want a energy with actual carbs in it, none of that zero carb drink crap.

Well I did used to drink lots of Monster/Rockstar not very long ago anyways, but thought I was maybe too dependent on them. At the least you can avoid the ones with carnitine -- and most have some B vitamins/taurine/guarana/etc. so they're not necessarily bad choices sometimes overall. Found/tried one brand at a gas station several weeks back that didn't have any carnitine -- just sugar, flavors, caffeine/guarana, taurine, salt, some vitamins, etc. -- and it sat well with me at ~160mg of caffeine.

The problem is that I don't want to convince myself (wrongly) that being laced/hopped up on tons of caffeine is the same thing as more natural energy. This sounds like what the weak, low energy/thyroid person would do -- use caffeine as a substitute for energizing themselves, but without it they're unable to function much.

Last edited:
M

member 2106

What seems to work for me is drinking coffee or tea to craving only.

It not as easy as it sounds to identify a true craving when it occurs. Drinking coffee out of habit was not good for me at all.

Vinny

The problem is that I don't want to convince myself (wrongly) that being laced/hopped up on tons of caffeine is the same thing as more natural energy. This sounds like what the weak, low energy/thyroid person would do -- use caffeine as a substitute for energizing themselves, but without it they're unable to function much.
Well, imho, to avoid issues with caffeine, you have to go VERY SLOWLY. And your body will adapt. At least, this is what I`m planning to do in the winter months, starting in December, aiming to reach 1 gram a day, without any energy fall-downs whatsoever.
I gave the coffee/caffeine a go a few months ago, but went too fast and got SEVERE gastric problems. Now I hope I`ll be patient enough, to reap some of the awesome benefits of the substance.

OP
MetabolicTrash
Well, imho, to avoid issues with caffeine, you have to go VERY SLOWLY. And your body will adapt. At least, this is what I`m planning to do in the winter months, starting in December, aiming to reach 1 gram a day, without any energy fall-downs whatsoever.
I gave the coffee/caffeine a go a few months ago, but went too fast and got SEVERE gastric problems. Now I hope I`ll be patient enough, to reap some of the awesome benefits of the substance.

Yeah, it makes sense. I wanted to incorporate caffeine for all of its benefits, not just as an energy replacement as some people might.