Coffee & Constipation

metabolizm

Am I the only one here for whom coffee sometimes causes constipation?

I notice that when I stop drinking it, and switch to tea, my transit time improves dramatically.

Does anyone know why this happens?

My only guess is that the nervous system activation from the caffeine is somehow having a detrimental effect on peristalsis. I have always been unusually susceptible to the effects of caffeine. I can just about manage one small cup of instant coffee per day without being too badly affected, but I’m better off with either tea or no caffeine at all.

Last edited:

ivy

Instant coffee can be quite strong on peristalsis, in a bad way, as far as I'm concerned. 100% arabica filter coffee, however, is pleasurably mild. Its lower caffeine content makes it perfect on the tongue and gut. I have IBS and the only way to circumvent a full ban on coffee was ditching instant coffee and opting for 100% arabica. I am very regular, experience much less pain and cramps.

metabolizm

Instant coffee can be quite strong on peristalsis, in a bad way, as far as I'm concerned. 100% arabica filter coffee, however, is pleasurably mild. Its lower caffeine content makes it perfect on the tongue and gut. I have IBS and the only way to circumvent a full ban on coffee was ditching instant coffee and opting for 100% arabica. I am very regular, experience much less pain and cramps.

Interesting! Thanks, I’ll look into that. Can you recommend a particular brand?

boris

It took my quite a while to finetune my coffee without getting gut issues and a stress spike.

I figured out that I really only need a very light coffee to rev up metabolism to a pleasant level and get a clean bowel movement. I was doing it way too strong before.

1 heaped tablespoon through a coffee filter. With whole milk, extra cream, 1ts sugar. That‘s perfect for me.

metabolizm

It took my quite a while to finetune my coffee without getting gut issues and a stress spike.

I figured out that I really only need a very light coffee to rev up metabolism to a pleasant level and get a clean bowel movement. I was doing it way too strong before.

1 heaped tablespoon through a coffee filter. With whole milk, extra cream, 1ts sugar. That‘s perfect for me.

Do you just have one coffee each day?

ivy

Interesting! Thanks, I’ll look into that. Can you recommend a particular brand?

I get very affordable arabica either from Aldi (Markus) or Lidl (Bellarom Gold). If I want to spend a little extra money, I might buy Buondi. Assuming you're not in Europe, these brands might not be available. There's a variety of Starbucks (light roast) which is also 100% arabica.

kYgirl

Am I the only one here for whom coffee sometimes causes constipation?

I notice that when I stop drinking it, and switch to tea, my transit time improves dramatically.

Does anyone know why this happens?

My only guess is that the nervous system activation from the caffeine is somehow having a detrimental effect on peristalsis. I have always been unusually susceptible to the effects of caffeine. I can just about manage one small cup of instant coffee per day without being too badly affected, but I’m better off with either tea or no caffeine at all.
Yes, I do not have bowel movements drinking coffee either. But years ago it helped me with that issue. Not sure what happened.

metabolizm

Yes, I do not have bowel movements drinking coffee either. But years ago it helped me with that issue. Not sure what happened.

I still have bowel movements when I'm regularly drinking coffee, but it's 1 a day at best, and then when I experiment with not drinking it for a few days my transit time improves dramatically. (Even one small weak cup of coffee a day has this negative effect).

Yesterday I had a STRONG coffee in the afternoon and I really regret it. Constipated today.