Mind the caffeine

equipoise

There's a genetic component to caffeine metabolism.

"P-450 1A2, which is coded for by the gene CYP1A2, is the primary isoenzyme responsible for the demethylation of caffeine into dimethylxanthine metabolites paraxanthine, theobromine, and theophylline (Lelo et al. 1986; Miners and Birkett 1996). Each of these metabolites is subjected to further demethylation into monomethylxanthines (Miners and Birkett 1996). Variation in the CYP1A2 activity, both within and between individuals, represents a major source of variability in pharmaco-kinetics of caffeine. The clearance of caffeine can vary to up to 40-fold within and between individuals (Kalow and Tang 1991; Kashuba et al. 1998)."

After 2 and a half months of no caffeine whatsoever (cut out chocolate, coke, coffee) I decided to try drinking coffee again. Caloric requirements to go up, pulse goes up, helps during the colder days, easier to stay warm. The physical benefits are good. However, my sleep definitely suffers. The timing or the amount of caffeine doesn't matter. I never wake up feeling rested. 3 days after quitting all caffeine, I start sleeping soundly. Wake up refreshed. Missing out on sleep is not an option. Bad sleep seems to give me depression and a host of other health problems (you don't say).

I'm way better off caffeine and you might be too if you're a slow metabolizer and thus by the time you go to sleep, you're still under the effect of caffeine, even though you it's been hours since you last felt the mental effects.

aliml

The CYP1A2 gene encodes cytochrome P450 family 1 subfamily A member 2.

This enzyme is mainly found in the liver, where it helps make cholesterol and steroids. It also breaks down some drugs and toxins, including:

Caffeine
Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
Aflatoxin B1
Many carcinogens
Heterocyclic amines (HCAs, from charred meat)

This enzyme can be blocked by some antibiotics, herbs, and herbal teas.

This enzyme’s activity can be increased by nicotine, liquorice and cruciferous vegetables.

DonLore

The CYP1A2 gene encodes cytochrome P450 family 1 subfamily A member 2.

This enzyme is mainly found in the liver, where it helps make cholesterol and steroids. It also breaks down some drugs and toxins, including:

Caffeine
Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
Aflatoxin B1
Many carcinogens
Heterocyclic amines (HCAs, from charred meat)

This enzyme can be blocked by some antibiotics, herbs, and herbal teas.

This enzyme’s activity can be increased by nicotine, liquorice and cruciferous vegetables.

So nicotine increases caffeine metabolism and speeds up elimination of some toxins?

DonLore

Yeah but smoke is estrogenic and not good in a long run. The only option is patches or something.
I sometimes use 4mg nicotine pouch. Maybe 2-3 times a week. Definately feel increased focus/vision, and gives a bowel movement, but feels like easily increases stress hormones. But so does coffee often

OP
E

equipoise

Any proof?
Ray talks a lot about it, give me a moment I'm sure I can find something. Irritation of burning plant material is said to be estrogenic. I can attest that sometimes, periodically, tobacco rolled in organic rizlas can be anti estrogenic (due to nicotines well documented AI effects). That being said, developing a habit is no good, and thus I think smoking should be limited). All the physical side effects are quite unpleasant but.