Benefits Of Exercise On Mitochondrial Dysfunction And Oxidative Stress

barefooter

Good stuff! I think there's way too much anti exercise thought in the Peat community. I mean I get that excessive exercise is detrimental to health, but appropriate amounts of exercise (especially when you desire it) seem to be highly beneficial for lots of people. I think we have to consider that Peat is biased against exercise and sports, because he seems to have lived a life very heavily weighted towards the intellectual and artistic side of things and not towards athletics.

I think of special consideration for health are exercises that are more social and playful. I'm not a big weight lifter, but I love going to the climbing gym, because it is a very social playful atmosphere where I meet great people. I also enjoy balance related activities that are very low intensity, like slacklining and playing on my balance board, and they seem to put me in a great mood. Juggling is also a great low intensity exercise that I enjoy.

Agent207

Excercise is one of the best examples of great aid to health and mind via hormetic effect; the key is to balance it with rest of stressors in your life and proper rest, avoiding staying with elevated stress hormones all the time. Otherwise, hard and intense workouts rocks!!

XPlus

I have never thought Peat is anti exercise.
He recommended weight training for people in the past and I've seen him mention concentric exercises in positive light.
He seems to speak against prolonged aerobic exercises.
So is the mainstream fitness community nowadays.

I think he doesn't see the super duper uber benefit from exercise as it's promoted by media and health gurus - at least not as a way for everyone to keep fit and healthy.
It might be fun to play 1 or 2 soccer matches a week - 1 or 2 sessions of weights. A jog or a swim in the morning every once in a while - all while making sure adequate nutrition and recovery - but is it absolutely necessary for health to workout for 1hr 5 days a week - I don't see it.

This one quote seems funnily relevant.
Ray Peat said:
"Although it would undoubtedly be best to grow up eating foods with relatively saturated fats, the use of aspirin preventively and therapeutically seems very reasonable under the present circumstances, in which, for example, clean and well ripened fruits are not generally available in abundance. Preventing blindness, degenerative brain diseases, heart and lung diseases, and cancer with aspirin should get as much support as the crazy public health recommendations are now getting from government and foundations and the medical businesses."

I quit intense exercise almost two years ago.
My aerobic performance seems a little tired but my muscles are always energised and are much stronger than they've ever been before.

barefooter

XPlus said:
post 110670 I have never thought Peat is anti exercise.
He recommended weight training for people in the past and I've seen him mention concentric exercises in positive light.
He seems to speak against prolonged aerobic exercises.

Maybe it's more just that he really doesn't write that much about exercise in general, and if you read his writing and hang out in the forums, you might get the impression that exercise isn't really that important. It's similar to if you read the writing of someone who was very into exercise, that you would see all these studies about exercise and it's benefits, and not much on nutrition, and you might get the impression that exercise is the most important thing to health.

XPlus said:
post 110670 It might be fun to play 1 or 2 soccer matches a week - 1 or 2 sessions of weights. A jog or a swim in the morning every once in a while - all while making sure adequate nutrition and recovery - but is it absolutely necessary for health to workout for 1hr 5 days a week - I don't see it.

I agree, but I think exercise can have a very broad and differing definition depending on who you're talking with. I'm doubtful that intense exercise is necessary for health at all, and think that it's benefit may lie more in enjoyment of certain activities that require more strength. However, I think low intensity exercise, really just movement like walking, is necessary for health. In my experience, when I'm healthy I generally desire movement, play, and exercise, and when I'm not healthy, it feels like I have to force myself. I think forcing yourself to exercise is probably pshycoligically stressful (a from of self torture) just as much as physically, and should be avoided. In people that don't feel like moving or exercising, it's probably best to address health from other angles until a natural desire arises, indicating improved health.

Last edited by a moderator:
how can girls be attracted to muscles if it is not good for you? perhaps you would need to go into overdrive on the sugar to counteract the cortisol increase from exercise. i know some celebs like john stamos.. who's famous for being the pretty boy even at 50+ does yoga or similar type exercises.

Agent207

I think -aside from muscles- for girls being attracted to, being "hard" and ripped/shredded is crucial and, beyond aesthetics, this use to be linked to high androgen low estrogen profile, a clear sign of masculinity.

Muscles in the context of high volume low density is the opposite.

frankfranks

Peat absolutely comes off as poo-pooing exercise. And trying to qualify by saying some strength training (focusing on the concentric) can be good is just wrong. Both endurance aerobic training and strength training have huge benefits. By far the best is to do both. You want a big "breathless" run or bike ride once or twice a week as well as one or two stressful strength training sessions that leave you a bit sore. cbass.com does a pretty good job collating the exercise research and making sense of it. The key is that once you hit rather moderate levels of fitness anything more than two or three exercise sessions a week is too much added stress. You also have to understand that the point of exercise *is* to be stress. It has to be difficult. An easy daily run is not exercise.

As far as aging gracefully sedentarism is clearly horrible for you and in what I've read Peat kinda seems to shrug about sedentarism.

mujuro

Forum Supporter
XPlus said:
I quit intense exercise almost two years ago.
My aerobic performance seems a little tired but my muscles are always energised and are much stronger than they've ever been before.

I dare say then that you were exercising too frequently, for too long, or not resting enough. I am ALWAYS strongest after I take a week off, or after a de-loading week. Adequate CNS recovery, in the way of plentiful sleep, is so often underestimated as a determiner of strength output. I think folks think that if you take a week off your strength will dwindle, but many powerlifters put a week of rest just before their competition.

Uselis

My most favourite Peat qoute is where he mentions that walking through interesting surroundings consumes more energy than harder but boring exercise. I also read somewhere that he's pro lifting (because of increased lean mass burning more calories at rest). He even mentioned somewhere that sprints should be ok. So here you have it: walking as a base of your movement (preferably keeping yourself lost in new place once in awhile), sprinting and some lifting. It's pretty much same what Paleo crowd recommends.

XPlus

barefooter said:
post 110675
Maybe it's more just that he really doesn't write that much about exercise in general, and if you read his writing and hang out in the forums, you might get the impression that exercise isn't really that important.

It depends on what you define as exercise and then why you ascribe importance to.
I find daily stretches beneficial but I'm not sure whether they count as full-on exercise or should be called important, since I can do just fine without them.
Our friend frankfranks doesn't even think an easy daily run should qualify as exercise.

mayweatherking said:
post 110678 how can girls be attracted to muscles if it is not good for you?.

Unless after you commit rape and double homicide you'd not quite be the ladies man.
If attraction is the purpose, then hybristophilia works the same way muscles work. They're fake or partial signals.
Note that many Peatrians report increased muscle size and improved aesthetics without exercise.
And if you rely on muscles for attraction, you might soon realise you're just beating around the bush - a little more than too much.

frankfranks said:
post 110700 Both endurance aerobic training and strength training have huge benefits. By far the best is to do both. You want a big "breathless" run or bike ride once or twice a week as well as one or two stressful strength training sessions that leave you a bit sore. cbass.com does a pretty good job collating the exercise research and making sense of it. The key is that once you hit rather moderate levels of fitness anything more than two or three exercise sessions a week is too much added stress. You also have to understand that the point of exercise *is* to be stress. It has to be difficult. An easy daily run is not exercise.

As far as aging gracefully sedentarism is clearly horrible for you and in what I've read Peat kinda seems to shrug about sedentarism.

Been there done that brah.
I don't see sedentarism as a bad thing when all other variables, like food and emotional stability are good.
The sedentary people around me, on average, are more healthy than myself and other athletic-type of friends.
They didn't flatten out the feet, break their knees and toes, tear their tendons, dislocate their shoulders, crush their teeth, clog their liver and ruin their digestion, lose their hair trying to beat somebody in a race or look like the alpha man.

It seems like we always look up to athletic people who come from very good health backgrounds in the first place and assume it that's how it's going to be like.
They seem unbreakable. They tolerate exercise very well but we ignore the weakling bunch who end up with some freakshow health problem after years of exercise.
The reality is those two kinds of people will perform relatively the same under average diets and lifestyles as they do on the athletic diet and lifestyle.
Hormonal and nutrient imbalances and deficiencies seem like the culprit in much of modern day diseases, exercise alone has little to offer in sorting them out.

mujuro said:
post 110701
I dare say then that you were exercising too frequently, for too long, or not resting enough. I am ALWAYS strongest after I take a week off, or after a de-loading week. Adequate CNS recovery, in the way of plentiful sleep, is so often underestimated as a determiner of strength output. I think folks think that if you take a week off your strength will dwindle, but many powerlifters put a week of rest just before their competition.

Yes, you're spot on.

Lift 1hr-2hrs every day until you drop dead and then follow up with cardio on your rest days, and then restrict calories. No pain no gain. Eat indigestible food. Go paleo and you still don't measure up. This versus a little challenging fun exercise, followed by a lot of rest and eating easily digestible foods to cravings.
It's a culture and the reality is many of us get stuck in loops within the first paradigm for a good chunk of our lives trying to beat a set benchmark on TV or magazine that is promoted by a Phd dumbass who never exercised before (worse nowadays is those bald muscular Phds with tattoos and ISIS-style no pain-no gain theories)

frankfranks

XPlus said:
post 110712
barefooter said:
post 110675
Maybe it's more just that he really doesn't write that much about exercise in general, and if you read his writing and hang out in the forums, you might get the impression that exercise isn't really that important.

It depends on what you define as exercise and then why you ascribe importance to.

There are silly semantics debates about the definition of exercise of questionable worth. The idea is it's not "exercise" if it doesn't produce an adaptive response. So under this idea, jogging a mile five days a week in eight minutes is not exercise (assuming that's not hard). Exercise is that once a week you try to break your mile record, and just maybe come to vomit while trying.

That said, daily "non exercise" movement has value on its own in the sense that we are clearly not meant to sit around in front of computers or books all day every day. We are built to burn through a lot calories walking around outside, at a minimum. Sedentarism is straight up retarded by any informed light.

XPlus

You've effectively eliminated easy running from being an exercise and then you sorta praised what sounds like moderate activity and denounced Sedentarism.
I feel retarded trying to distinguish the fine line between exercise and Sedentarism according to your view.

Ray Peat said:
Cytochrome oxidase in the brain can also be increased by mental stimulation, learning, and moderate exercise, but excessive exercise or the wrong kind of exercise (“eccentric”) can lower it (Aguiar, et al., 2007, 2008), probably by increasing the stress hormones and free fatty acids. Sedentary living a high altitude has beneficial effects on mitochondria similar to moderate exercise at sea level

Ray Peat said:
While jogging became popular for preventing heart disease, we were frequently told by experts how many miles a person has to run to burn off a pound of fat. However, in Russia, physiologists always remember to include the brain in their calculations

Ray Peat said:
Stressful exercise, which has been known to cause breakage of the nuclear chromosomes, is now seen to damage mitochondrial genes, too.

Three's a world of difference between a hiking trip and a daily routine on the treadmill.

I can make more sense of this stuff. Here's more of them. It's fascinating.
http://www.functionalps.com/blog/2012/0 ... -exercise/

Amazoniac

Juan's 'Exercise Increases Endotoxin.. Clearance By Increasing DHEA Levels' reminded me to post these:

- Vitamin D: the light side of sunshine

"Although vitamin D is stored in fat, it is not clear whether there is much release of vitamin D from fat, as obesity is associated with lower vitamin D levels for a given input (Wortsman et al., 2000). Little is known about storage of 25OHD, although there is some in muscle (Clements and Fraser, 1988; Heaney et al., 2009). In many studies, exercise is associated with better vitamin D status (for example, Giovannucci et al., 2006). Although this may be due to outdoor exercise and better sun exposure, this may not be the entire explanation (Scragg et al., 1992). Exercise may improve storage or retrieval, as in at least one trial, an indoor exercise program resulted in improved 25OHD concentrations (Bell et al., 1988[*]). There is some evidence that accelerated catabolism of 25OHD and calcitriol is induced by agents such as phenytoin and phenobarbital, which induce P450 enzymes (Gough et al., 1986)."

This is curious..
*The effects of muscle‐building exercise on Vitamin D and mineral metabolism

upload_2019-7-6_6-4-48.png

- Is Vitamin D Supplementation Even Neccessary

- Exercise prevents hyperhomocysteinemia in a dietary folate-restricted mouse model

I think you need to be “fit” meaning you can do the chores and take a long walk and have decent muscles, not atrophied ones.

There is a fetish towards intense exercise, just as there is one towards losing weight, that I think Dr. Peat is not in favor of and we shouldn’t be either.

There is a lot of evidence that being fit is helpful in aging, but I think the evidence that intense exercise makes us live longer is lacking. I have read a number of studies that are supposed to show it, but I am not convinced there is any evidence for intense exercise being linked to longevity. In fact I tend to think it is linked to dying sooner.

Dr. Peat has said in interviews I’ve heard that it’s good to have decent muscles. On several occasions he has said that light dumbells are probably enough to kind of let the muscle know that it’s there, and stimulate it a bit.

Amazoniac

"Female intercrossing outbred mice (9–10 weeks of age) were obtained from Harlan (Indianapolis, IN) and initially housed in groups of 2 or 3 in a 12-h light: dark cycle and provided an AIN-93G semi-purified diet (Table 1) and water ad libitum [28]. No antibiotics were added to the diets or drinking water, resulting in a moderate degree of folate deficiency as we have previously reported [24]. After an acclimation period of 3 days, mice were randomly assigned to one of 2 groups: sedentary or free-access wheel exercised. Wheel exercised mice were housed individually to obtain accurate distance calculation. For the duration of the study, wheel exercised mice had free-access to their wheels 24 h/d for 5 d/wk. After 4 weeks, half of the mice in each group were switched to a folate-restricted diet resulting in 4 groups: sedentary with control diet; sedentary with folate-restricted diet; wheel-exercised with control diet; and wheel-exercised with folate-restricted diet."

upload_2020-3-13_17-33-28.png

:yipes

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals