Supplementing Glycine and N-Acetylcysteine (GlyNAC) in Older Adults Improves Glutathione Deficiency, Oxidative Stress, Mitochondrial Dysfunction

Ismail

Supplementing Glycine and N-Acetylcysteine (GlyNAC) in Older Adults Improves Glutathione Deficiency, Oxidative Stress, Mitochondrial Dysfunction, Inflammation, Physical Function, and Aging Hallmarks: A Randomized Clinical Trial

Abstract​

Background

Elevated oxidative stress (OxS), mitochondrial dysfunction, and hallmarks of aging are identified as key contributors to aging, but improving/reversing these defects in older adults (OA) is challenging. In prior studies, we identified that deficiency of the intracellular antioxidant glutathione (GSH) could play a role and reported that supplementing GlyNAC (combination of glycine and N-acetylcysteine [NAC]) in aged mice improved GSH deficiency, OxS, mitochondrial fatty-acid oxidation (MFO), and insulin resistance (IR). To test whether GlyNAC supplementation in OA could improve GSH deficiency, OxS, mitochondrial dysfunction, IR, physical function, and aging hallmarks, we conducted a placebo-controlled randomized clinical trial.

Methods

Twenty-four OA and 12 young adults (YA) were studied. OA was randomized to receive either GlyNAC (N = 12) or isonitrogenous alanine placebo (N = 12) for 16-weeks; YA (N = 12) received GlyNAC for 2-weeks. Participants were studied before, after 2-weeks, and after 16-weeks of supplementation to assess GSH concentrations, OxS, MFO, molecular regulators of energy metabolism, inflammation, endothelial function, IR, aging hallmarks, gait speed, muscle strength, 6-minute walk test, body composition, and blood pressure.

Results

Compared to YA, OA had GSH deficiency, OxS, mitochondrial dysfunction (with defective molecular regulation), inflammation, endothelial dysfunction, IR, multiple aging hallmarks, impaired physical function, increased waist circumference, and systolic blood pressure. GlyNAC (and not placebo) supplementation in OA improved/corrected these defects.

Conclusion

GlyNAC supplementation in OA for 16-weeks was safe and well-tolerated. By combining the benefits of glycine, NAC and GSH, GlyNAC is an effective nutritional supplement that improves and reverses multiple age-associated abnormalities to promote health in aging humans.
Clinical Trials Registration Number: NCT01870193

Summarised and discussed here:

View: https://youtu.be/EvX6ivegQRE

sugarisgreat

Still have to wonder why Amazon removed NAC from their platform?
Thanks for posting.

Brad Marshall (Fireinthe bottle.net) is not in favor of antioxidants, but says NAC is not as bad as some of them.

I recently had to stop high doses of Vitamin C, because I think it was causing ROS (fatigue in my muscles by my symptoms).
I started using Sweetemine (Glycine) and I'm feeling better.

OP
Ismail

Ismail

Still have to wonder why Amazon removed NAC from their platform?
Thanks for posting.

Brad Marshall (Fireinthe bottle.net) is not in favor of antioxidants, but says NAC is not as bad as some of them.

I recently had to stop high doses of Vitamin C, because I think it was causing ROS (fatigue in my muscles by my symptoms).
I started using Sweetemine (Glycine) and I'm feeling better.
I think it was a pre-emptive move by Amazon, well according to this doc apparently:

View: https://youtu.be/OcNshFh9VjY

Yes I also stopped high dose vitamin C, not for the same reason, just felt a little unbalanced to be taking high doses of it 🤷‍♂️

Limon9

Supplementing Glycine and N-Acetylcysteine (GlyNAC) in Older Adults Improves Glutathione Deficiency, Oxidative Stress, Mitochondrial Dysfunction, Inflammation, Physical Function, and Aging Hallmarks: A Randomized Clinical Trial

Abstract​

Background

Elevated oxidative stress (OxS), mitochondrial dysfunction, and hallmarks of aging are identified as key contributors to aging, but improving/reversing these defects in older adults (OA) is challenging. In prior studies, we identified that deficiency of the intracellular antioxidant glutathione (GSH) could play a role and reported that supplementing GlyNAC (combination of glycine and N-acetylcysteine [NAC]) in aged mice improved GSH deficiency, OxS, mitochondrial fatty-acid oxidation (MFO), and insulin resistance (IR). To test whether GlyNAC supplementation in OA could improve GSH deficiency, OxS, mitochondrial dysfunction, IR, physical function, and aging hallmarks, we conducted a placebo-controlled randomized clinical trial.

Methods

Twenty-four OA and 12 young adults (YA) were studied. OA was randomized to receive either GlyNAC (N = 12) or isonitrogenous alanine placebo (N = 12) for 16-weeks; YA (N = 12) received GlyNAC for 2-weeks. Participants were studied before, after 2-weeks, and after 16-weeks of supplementation to assess GSH concentrations, OxS, MFO, molecular regulators of energy metabolism, inflammation, endothelial function, IR, aging hallmarks, gait speed, muscle strength, 6-minute walk test, body composition, and blood pressure.

Results

Compared to YA, OA had GSH deficiency, OxS, mitochondrial dysfunction (with defective molecular regulation), inflammation, endothelial dysfunction, IR, multiple aging hallmarks, impaired physical function, increased waist circumference, and systolic blood pressure. GlyNAC (and not placebo) supplementation in OA improved/corrected these defects.

Conclusion

GlyNAC supplementation in OA for 16-weeks was safe and well-tolerated. By combining the benefits of glycine, NAC and GSH, GlyNAC is an effective nutritional supplement that improves and reverses multiple age-associated abnormalities to promote health in aging humans.

Glycine is known to be beneficial in the fields tested - it's unfortunate there wasn't a glycine-only group, since that's clearly the main rate-limiter in glutathione synthesis, not NAC.

OP
Ismail

Ismail

Glycine is known to be beneficial in the fields tested - it's unfortunate there wasn't a glycine-only group, since that's clearly the main rate-limiter in glutathione synthesis, not NAC.
I didn’t know that, thank you.

Any idea if it would be more beneficial to take glycine individually or from a more natural source, such as collagen or gelatin?

Osukhan

i usually take one serving of collagen with my coffee in the morning, but at night i use glycine 3-4 grams along with taurine.
i will be trying a new product called Young Body by Joel Greene, which has glycine, nac, and white willow bark together

sugarisgreat

i usually take one serving of collagen with my coffee in the morning, but at night i use glycine 3-4 grams along with taurine.
i will be trying a new product called Young Body by Joel Greene, which has glycine, nac, and white willow bark together
I'd be curious to know how that goes with that product-if you like it or notice any effects.

Limon9

I didn’t know that, thank you.

Any idea if it would be more beneficial to take glycine individually or from a more natural source, such as collagen or gelatin?
You hear good things about both, but I think gelatin is probably safer for long-term use. I have no idea what kind of contaminants get into isolated amino acids to be honest (not to suggest that the gelatin production process is clean, lol)

Dave Clark

I don't know about NAC, but here is a good article outlining the benefits of glycine:

Vinny

Abstract​

Background

Methods

Results

Conclusion

thanks

OP
Ismail

Ismail

You hear good things about both, but I think gelatin is probably safer for long-term use. I have no idea what kind of contaminants get into isolated amino acids to be honest (not to suggest that the gelatin production process is clean, lol)
Thank you 🙏

OP
Ismail

Ismail

I don't know about NAC, but here is a good article outlining the benefits of glycine:
very beneficial, thank you 👌 🙏

Heroico

1) N-acetyl cysteine isn't an "antioxidant". It's an acetylated form of the sulfur-containing amino acid, cysteine, that combines with glycine and glutamate to form the major antioxidant glutathione. In the Baylor GlyNAC study, it's interesting to note that supplementation did not raise glutathione levels above those of young adults, it only restored RBC and serum glutathione levels to youthful levels. It forms glutathione when it combines with (and simplistically, silences the excitatory substance) glutamate. The importance of these facts to me is that I'm not worried about getting cancer due to "antioxidants" as in the tocopherol controversy.

2) RP is well known to be supportive of glycine, at times as individual aa but preferably as a component of collagen supplementation. RP does not support the use of cysteine. I think his reasons are four; a) old data about poor nutritional results using "free" amino acids in infant formulas, b) a general aversion to and suspicion of reductionist and manufactured products for good reasons which may color his judgement here c) amino acids in the blood signal exercise and starvation and thus are antimetabolic/antithyroid which holds great weight with RP perhaps in this case excessively so d) he lists cysteine as one of the amino acids associated with reduced mortality, although I can't find the data specifically on cysteine.

Anybody know more about RP's views about cysteine?

OP
Ismail

Ismail

1) N-acetyl cysteine isn't an "antioxidant". It's an acetylated form of the sulfur-containing amino acid, cysteine, that combines with glycine and glutamate to form the major antioxidant glutathione. In the Baylor GlyNAC study, it's interesting to note that supplementation did not raise glutathione levels above those of young adults, it only restored RBC and serum glutathione levels to youthful levels. It forms glutathione when it combines with (and simplistically, silences the excitatory substance) glutamate. The importance of these facts to me is that I'm not worried about getting cancer due to "antioxidants" as in the tocopherol controversy.

2) RP is well known to be supportive of glycine, at times as individual aa but preferably as a component of collagen supplementation. RP does not support the use of cysteine. I think his reasons are four; a) old data about poor nutritional results using "free" amino acids in infant formulas, b) a general aversion to and suspicion of reductionist and manufactured products for good reasons which may color his judgement here c) amino acids in the blood signal exercise and starvation and thus are antimetabolic/antithyroid which holds great weight with RP perhaps in this case excessively so d) he lists cysteine as one of the amino acids associated with reduced mortality, although I can't find the data specifically on cysteine.

Anybody know more about RP's views about cysteine?
Thank you for this, extremely helpful insight 👌 🙏

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals