Supplementing Glycine and N-Acetylcysteine (GlyNAC) in Older Adults Improves Glutathione Deficiency, Oxidative Stress, Mitochondrial Dysfunction

Heroico

I'm glad you're thinking this through with me. I agree, there are many important issues to sort through. The report you cited above contains many fascinating details; I don't see anything that is negative about glyNAC.
For general interest, I have been taking 7 grams of NAC and about 50 grams of glycine daily for a few months now, so far all positive (mood, cognition, GERD, weight, energy, IBS/endotoxin reactions, loss of sugar craving, remarkable return to normal 180/120 down to 120/80 of blood pressure and I've let go of three blood pressure medications). I also have begun to measure glutathione ratios and fating amino acids in the neurology clinic.
Some observations:
1) I think the forum generally agrees glycine is a good thing, some think best with collagen.
2) I agree with some postings here that we don't know whether NAC adds anything to glycine, and I don't know whether NAC is any different from cysteine and whether effects would be different in different situations. You need two substances to patent and so there is some pressure to study glyNAC rather tha one or the other substance alone.
3) I don't think either substance or the combintation does much below the age of 45-50 for the general population. The effects above that age are very different, since they have a stress condition called "age", and many younger patients with chronic conditions (GERD, migraine, anxiety) may have abnormal glycine, cystine, GSH, or GSSH levels or ratios.
4) Probably most people here would agree that the literature supports extension of life with methionine restriction. While both are sulfur-containing aas, methionine participates in methylation reactions (not Peaty) and cysteine suppresses methionine.
5) The literature is confusing, but it appears to me that oxidized glutathione is acutely suppressed then upregulated during stress (fasting, alcoholism, leaky gut in Ehlers-Danlos, stressful exercise) as part of the stress reaction and that methionine then locks in the structure of the stress response.
6) If there is insufficient cysteine for these stress cycles, the reduced cysteine will fall, as will glutamate, in chronic illness.
7) So can we just feed glycine? Maybe, but you need enough glutathione to put the glycine bricks in place. If total glutathione levels are low, you can't hang on to glycine sufficiently to repair.
8) Stress reactions are asymmetric. There is a brief stress, then the body responds with structures that persist longer than the stress, in anticipation of a possible stress repeat- the body learns. In Selye's sequence, the hands are cold, the blood pressure rises, the blood clots, the thyroid stops, dthe thymus shrinks, and aminos are released from skin and muscle under catabolic signaling. Stress raises amino acids in the serum and reduces them in the skin and muscle. Stores are build again more slowly, through diet and Peaty hormonal sequences. We store most of our glycine in our skin, which functions as as stress pump, buffering stress by releasing glycine and reduced cysteine. At the end of the acute stress response we slowly build these stores back again, partly through diet and partly through synthesis.
9) The core idea of aging as system and energy biology (as opposed to simple oxidation, telomeres, or genetic accumulation of errors) is that the walls built largely from glycine need energy to replace and maintain them at all levels of biology; very roughly speaking, glycine is the bricks, glutathione repairs the energy generators to lift the bricks, and without glutathione you can't keep up the brick repairs. The body lays down structure and locks its knees to keep from falling down (fat, arthritis, sclerosis, amyloid) using methylation reactions.
10) I agree that a little methyl sink is a good idea, and that it is helpful to avoid methionine. Cysteine supplementation, I think, allows you to not hang onto methionine.

Heroico

correction on my above post- methionine increases mortality
see longer response that follows-

DonLore

So to increase glutathione and improve inflammation and stress induced degeneration, what could be done in addition to eating 20-60grams of collagen/gelatin daily? Raw eggs seem to also raise glutathione. Selenium, vit C from diet. What else? Spices seem to increase glutathione?

David PS

So to increase glutathione and improve inflammation and stress induced degeneration, what could be done in addition to eating 20-60grams of collagen/gelatin daily? Raw eggs seem to also raise glutathione. Selenium, vit C from diet. What else? Spices seem to increase glutathione?
Whey protein

Restoring proper Sleep

DonLore

Whey protein

Restoring proper Sleep
Milk has whey protein yes? I heard it is better if its raw milk or undenatured whey. Raw egg whites have something called glutamyl-cysteine or something, which turns into glutathione easily.

Proper sleep is harder, but I guess collagen, magnesium, and sun light in the day time helps

Mossy

For general interest, I have been taking 7 grams of NAC and about 50 grams of glycine daily...
That is a large amount. Do you supplement glycine powder?

Mossy

I would hate to see that amount in pills ! Is the dose even necessary, much less harmful?!
That was my first thought! Which led me to inquire. I didn't want to jump to conclusions, but that is a mighty large amount. That dose would be equivalent to half this bottle every day; or 1.5 bags a month of this.

@Heroico , can we assume that dose is correct and that you've had no negative side effects?

Heroico

A teaspoon of powder is 5 grams. I take 2/3 tablespoon twice daily (10 grams) with four capsules of NAC twice daily (8 capsules daily). The pills have signifiant excipients and aren't practical for larger amounts unless you want to consider the 1000 mg capsules from Life Extension brand. You could take four of those daily and get 4 grams if you prefer capsules. You can also use NAC powder- it has an sharp/sour taste but isn't really too bad, and I think it tastes ok mixed with glycine powder.

Heroico

Also going by the proportion of glycine and cysteine in beef protein, these amounts (say, seven grams daily dose) are found in a large steak.

Dave Clark

Also going by the proportion of glycine and cysteine in beef protein, these amounts (say, seven grams daily dose) are found in a large steak.
Can I ask where you got the idea, or science to take that volume of NAC? I never heard of anybody using that amount before. Hopefully, your decision to use that much is grounded in some science, and you are not just winging it. Not trying to be negative, but it sounds like a lot, and if any negative studies are accurate on the low doses, that might not be good to go that high, depending on what science you believe. Just curious, as I like to keep an open mind.
NAC has a good bit of positive studies, but at what dosage range, more might not be better.

Heroico

I got the idea from the study on GlyNAC posted at the beginning of the thread. I read it in the journal when it came out. IF you read through you will see that they used 100 mg/kg each of glycine and NAC. They got that dose, I think, from a previous study that used a lesser dose with a trend to improvement in some parameters. But in general the psychiatric literature uses NAC in many studies in the range of 1200 to 2400 mg daily. The timing (meals, splitting doses) is not typically proscribed. There are lots of studies on glycine up to 90 grams daily and some data related to meals or at night etc. Dietary intakes are not far from these values (skin is about 1/3 glycine). I have prescribed NAC for some psychiatric syndromes in the clinic for many years. I would think timing would be important, perhaps more so than amount since there are competitive absorption ssues with protein and we take in more protein than we use in many people.

Also, as EcstaticHamster points out, RP doesn't support cysteine, much less NAC, and it prevents the extension of lifespan in methionine-restricted diets.

If you would like to follow my experiment I am keeping a blog on this at unchronic.ghost.io It's not for profit.

Dave Clark

I got the idea from the study on GlyNAC posted at the beginning of the thread. I read it in the journal when it came out. IF you read through you will see that they used 100 mg/kg each of glycine and NAC. They got that dose, I think, from a previous study that used a lesser dose with a trend to improvement in some parameters. But in general the psychiatric literature uses NAC in many studies in the range of 1200 to 2400 mg daily. The timing (meals, splitting doses) is not typically proscribed. There are lots of studies on glycine up to 90 grams daily and some data related to meals or at night etc. Dietary intakes are not far from these values (skin is about 1/3 glycine). I have prescribed NAC for some psychiatric syndromes in the clinic for many years. I would think timing would be important, perhaps more so than amount since there are competitive absorption ssues with protein and we take in more protein than we use in many people.

Also, as EcstaticHamster points out, RP doesn't support cysteine, much less NAC, and it prevents the extension of lifespan in methionine-restricted diets.

If you would like to follow my experiment I am keeping a blog on this at unchronic.ghost.io It's not for profit.
Interesting, thanks. I have heard about NAC for psychiatric issues, but not heard about these type of doses. I will check out the literature and blog. I do use glycine as a supplement. but also not at that high of doses. Regardless of where someone is at on these nutrients, it is always good to see pioneering use and experimentation. Without that, we would not know what we know today about nutrients, and have to keep on doing so to learn more. Science on paper is one thing, but clinical use tells us if the science is applicable.

Mossy

I do recall reading about this combo, and I know there's at least one manufacturer that sells them combined. I did try this combo, thinking the NAC would cancel out the grogginess and fatigued feeling that glycine gives me, but it didn't. Do you not get groggy or fatigued on glycine?

Heroico

I didn't experience grogginess. Much like the induction phase of the Atkins diet, I lost my taste for carbs and was fatigued the first few days. That went away.

Mossy

I didn't experience grogginess. Much like the induction phase of the Atkins diet, I lost my taste for carbs and was fatigued the first few days. That went away.
Thanks for sharing. Maybe when I have the time I'll try to push through for several days and see if that goes away.

cs3000

A teaspoon of powder is 5 grams. I take 2/3 tablespoon twice daily (10 grams) with four capsules of NAC twice daily (8 capsules daily). The pills have signifiant excipients and aren't practical for larger amounts unless you want to consider the 1000 mg capsules from Life Extension brand. You could take four of those daily and get 4 grams if you prefer capsules. You can also use NAC powder- it has an sharp/sour taste but isn't really too bad, and I think it tastes ok mixed with glycine powder.
JCI - S-Nitrosothiols signal hypoxia-mimetic vascular pathology problem from gram amounts
during a 3-week protocol in which mice received high-dose NAC in vivo [10mg/ml of water - mice drink ~4ml - 5ml daily, so 1.6g/kg or ~8g human]. Strikingly, the NAC-treated mice developed pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) that mimicked the effects of chronic hypoxia. Moreover, systemic SNOAC administration recapitulated effects of both NAC and hypoxia. eNOS-deficient mice were protected from the effects of NAC but not SNOAC, suggesting that conversion of NAC to SNOAC was necessary for the development of PAH. These data reveal an unanticipated adverse effect of chronic NAC administration and introduce a new animal model of PAH.

Last edited:

Heroico

I have been on about 7 grams daily in divided doses of glycine and NAC each for 9 months. I feel terrific overall. I have decided to do an experiment and discontinue the NAC while continuing the glycine. There are a number of reasons for this:

1) The study you thoughtfully cited above is with NAC unopposed to glycine. Still, there it is. I have developed an audible venous hum in my left ear, loud enough to be bothersome at times. I stopped the NAC yesterday and today the hum is almost gone. I am reporting all of this on my noncommercial site unchronic.ghost.io and if my health declines and the venous hum doesn't stay resolved that will be reported. Additionally not all the NAC is digested, and passed through pretty quickly after a dose and is obvious in the stool. I thought I would report the trial discontinuation of the NAC first here.

2) I first became familiar with NAC for patients with symptoms that could be ascribable to "excess glutamate"- severe OCD, trichotillomania- and I have seen severely affected patients revolve with NAC and I never saw problems in that small population. There's lots of small studies on NAC in the psychiatric literature. So I was ready to accept using glycine (which I feel is benign) together with NAC. That was the path I took into starting GlyNAC. However, in the clinic, I was testing for fasting amino acids and would see patients with high glutathione who were exercising, some of whom were elderly. One elderly bicyclist had the highest glutathione level of the group. So that undermined the idea that the only way to increase glutathione was by feeding precursors.

3) As others on this forum have pointed out, there is just nothing out there comparing glycine alone to glycine plus NAC. Arguments have been made that generally it is glycine that limits the production of glutathione and as some point out GlyNAC is patentable (being a combination of two amino acids) and glycine is not. So one has the feeling that in judging the addition of NAC to glycine that there is a thumb on the scale of which study gets funded.

4) NAC tastes nasty. On the other hand, I find glycine tastes pretty close to table sugar to me.

5) GlyNAC produces all kinds of documented improvement in bloodwork as well as clinical functioning, over the short term of the study. But when discontinued the improvements revert to baseline.

6) If you want to raise glutathione, there's lots of ways to do it- drinking alcohol, exercise, or taking copper among them. One reason I decided to explore this situation on a blog separate from the forum is that this raises the question of hormesis and what is good stress and all those things and I didn't want to get into arguments about it. I found RP was generally more subtle about these issues than some of his citations suggest.

6) I have become very interested in copper supplementation; this study looked at 10 mg copper daily Supplementing Copper at the Upper Level of the Adult Dietary Recommended Intake Induces Detectable but Transient Changes in Healthy Adults
"Glutathione in PMNC increased significantly after supplementation in the total study group and also in women and men when analyzed separately (P = 0.01). Glutathione concentrations [geometric means (± range of 1 SD)] were 5.6 (1.9–17.1) and 12.5 (7.6–20.8) μmol/mg protein before and after 2 mo of supplementation, respectively (P < 0.01). The 2 Cp groups did not differ. eSOD activity and serum homocysteine concentration did not differ before and after controlled copper exposure; eSOD was 77.3 ± 25.6 IU/g Hb (before) and 67.3 ± 23.9 IU/g Hb (after) in the low Cp group and 83.5 ± 33.5 IU/g Hb (before) and 65.7 ± 21.3 IU/g Hb (after) in the high Cp group." Glutathione levels in this study more than doubled, which is higher than anything in the GlyNAC study.
And so, for those who are exercising, or intermittently stressing their liver by drinking alcohol, or taking copper, I was no longer confident that adding NAC to glycine would do anything at all, or that raising glutathione was the mechanism behind the improved parameters noted in the study.

7) Hence my experiment of a trial of discontinuation of NAC, continuing glycine 7 grams daily, and adding copper. I am working with topical copper preparations and will report on that in the future, here or on my blog.

Mossy

I have been on about 7 grams daily in divided doses of glycine and NAC each for 9 months. I feel terrific overall. I have decided to do an experiment and discontinue the NAC while continuing the glycine. There are a number of reasons for this:

1) The study you thoughtfully cited above is with NAC unopposed to glycine. Still, there it is. I have developed an audible venous hum in my left ear, loud enough to be bothersome at times. I stopped the NAC yesterday and today the hum is almost gone. I am reporting all of this on my noncommercial site unchronic.ghost.io and if my health declines and the venous hum doesn't stay resolved that will be reported. Additionally not all the NAC is digested, and passed through pretty quickly after a dose and is obvious in the stool. I thought I would report the trial discontinuation of the NAC first here.

2) I first became familiar with NAC for patients with symptoms that could be ascribable to "excess glutamate"- severe OCD, trichotillomania- and I have seen severely affected patients revolve with NAC and I never saw problems in that small population. There's lots of small studies on NAC in the psychiatric literature. So I was ready to accept using glycine (which I feel is benign) together with NAC. That was the path I took into starting GlyNAC. However, in the clinic, I was testing for fasting amino acids and would see patients with high glutathione who were exercising, some of whom were elderly. One elderly bicyclist had the highest glutathione level of the group. So that undermined the idea that the only way to increase glutathione was by feeding precursors.

3) As others on this forum have pointed out, there is just nothing out there comparing glycine alone to glycine plus NAC. Arguments have been made that generally it is glycine that limits the production of glutathione and as some point out GlyNAC is patentable (being a combination of two amino acids) and glycine is not. So one has the feeling that in judging the addition of NAC to glycine that there is a thumb on the scale of which study gets funded.

4) NAC tastes nasty. On the other hand, I find glycine tastes pretty close to table sugar to me.

5) GlyNAC produces all kinds of documented improvement in bloodwork as well as clinical functioning, over the short term of the study. But when discontinued the improvements revert to baseline.

6) If you want to raise glutathione, there's lots of ways to do it- drinking alcohol, exercise, or taking copper among them. One reason I decided to explore this situation on a blog separate from the forum is that this raises the question of hormesis and what is good stress and all those things and I didn't want to get into arguments about it. I found RP was generally more subtle about these issues than some of his citations suggest.

6) I have become very interested in copper supplementation; this study looked at 10 mg copper daily Supplementing Copper at the Upper Level of the Adult Dietary Recommended Intake Induces Detectable but Transient Changes in Healthy Adults
"Glutathione in PMNC increased significantly after supplementation in the total study group and also in women and men when analyzed separately (P = 0.01). Glutathione concentrations [geometric means (± range of 1 SD)] were 5.6 (1.9–17.1) and 12.5 (7.6–20.8) μmol/mg protein before and after 2 mo of supplementation, respectively (P < 0.01). The 2 Cp groups did not differ. eSOD activity and serum homocysteine concentration did not differ before and after controlled copper exposure; eSOD was 77.3 ± 25.6 IU/g Hb (before) and 67.3 ± 23.9 IU/g Hb (after) in the low Cp group and 83.5 ± 33.5 IU/g Hb (before) and 65.7 ± 21.3 IU/g Hb (after) in the high Cp group." Glutathione levels in this study more than doubled, which is higher than anything in the GlyNAC study.
And so, for those who are exercising, or intermittently stressing their liver by drinking alcohol, or taking copper, I was no longer confident that adding NAC to glycine would do anything at all, or that raising glutathione was the mechanism behind the improved parameters noted in the study.

7) Hence my experiment of a trial of discontinuation of NAC, continuing glycine 7 grams daily, and adding copper. I am working with topical copper preparations and will report on that in the future, here or on my blog.
You are quite fortunate to be able to take 7 grams of glycine a day; and unless it's the glycine causing the hum in the ear, it seems with no negative side effects. Glycine gives me varying levels of fatigue and overall malaise, and in a matter of a few consecutive days of taking it I can be dealing with quite heavy fatigue that leaves me not able to function normally. It must be providing a good counter balance to your health state, as it seems to be providing you with energy, which is consistent with what Peat has stated:

"RP says: “I don’t think it’s very safe to use individual amino acids, glycine is the only one I know of that is safe by itself because it can be used as energy

It will be interesting to see if you feel any different without NAC; and if the hum goes away.

Last edited:
OP
Ismail

Ismail

Very thorough approach - interested in hearing your results and experience after some time.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals