Mega-Dose Thiamine: Beyond Addressing “Deficiency”

eimearrose

I have had a few people PM me with major issues related to histamine/acetylcholine excess that did not make sense to me at first. Later I found it they are taking massive doses of thiamine, which dramatically increases cholinergic activity and especially in susceptible individuals (those prone to high Ach activity), they can deal with all these issues related to excessive cholinergic activity. This includes light sleep, insomnia, itchiness, muscle weakness, fatigue. Mental symptoms include depression, spaciness and passive like behavior, poor motivation. Excessive cholinergic activity is expected to reduce glutamatergic (especially NMDA), and noradrenergic activity, leading to muscle weakness and mental symptoms.

B1 is thought to possibly cause B6 deficiency. I thought this as well and I am still kind of on the fence with it. But it seems like the reason supplementing B6 counteracts symptoms from excess B1 quite quickly is because it dramatically increases GABA and serotonin levels, increasing their activity at synapses and which quickly reduces cholinergic activity.

Users here really need to be aware especially if they are prone to these kinds of issues. I wonder how many people currently deal with this and have no idea that B1 mega dosing is actually what is giving them this problem because it is way too encouraged here like it can do no wrong. It can and I am sure even now there are people who are doing more harm than good from taking it in high doses.
I wish I'd read this sooner. I tried 500mg thiamine Hcl for 3 days and have hives on my ankles now. No other changes to diet/supps/lifestyle. I guess it's not for me!

VansEnigma

I have had a few people PM me with major issues related to histamine/acetylcholine excess that did not make sense to me at first. Later I found it they are taking massive doses of thiamine, which dramatically increases cholinergic activity and especially in susceptible individuals (those prone to high Ach activity), they can deal with all these issues related to excessive cholinergic activity. This includes light sleep, insomnia, itchiness, muscle weakness, fatigue. Mental symptoms include depression, spaciness and passive like behavior, poor motivation. Excessive cholinergic activity is expected to reduce glutamatergic (especially NMDA), and noradrenergic activity, leading to muscle weakness and mental symptoms.

B1 is thought to possibly cause B6 deficiency. I thought this as well and I am still kind of on the fence with it. But it seems like the reason supplementing B6 counteracts symptoms from excess B1 quite quickly is because it dramatically increases GABA and serotonin levels, increasing their activity at synapses and which quickly reduces cholinergic activity.

Users here really need to be aware especially if they are prone to these kinds of issues. I wonder how many people currently deal with this and have no idea that B1 mega dosing is actually what is giving them this problem because it is way too encouraged here like it can do no wrong. It can and I am sure even now there are people who are doing more harm than good from taking it in high doses.
Great post. I've been taking high dose of b1 daily for a long time. Recently, I've been getting symptoms that seems like a b6 deficiency (dry skin and hair, sore tongue, etc.)

Nokoni

At this point, I hope that the reader can appreciate some of the potentially beneficial applications of thiamine therapy in high doses. Since this nutrient exhibits extremely low toxicity, is relatively cheap and easy to access, I believe that it should be considered as a front-line therapy (in conjunction with other interventions) for any and all disorders involving mitochondrial dysfunction and chronic oxidative stress. This especially applies to neurological diseases, but also is probably applicable in most other conditions. And whilst many people do not require pharmacological doses, there are many who DO benefit from this. I have seen it on many occasions, and I am sure that I will continue to do so in the future. As it currently stands, the therapeutic potential of this nutrient is untapped.
Outstanding post, thanks.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals