Baby Aspirin No Longer For Babies

Peaterpeater

My 4 year old son had fever twice during the month of May. The first fever was due to tonsilitis and the second fever was due to H. influenza. Both times I was forced to give him Panadol & Voltaren to bring his high fever down. My husband told me that his mother used to give him baby aspirin to bring down his fever when he was a child. I thought this would be a good idea since Ray has enlightened us on the benefits of Aspirin. I looked for baby aspirin for children and found none. Every "baby aspirin" I found OTC was for adults who needed aspirin in small doses. The reason that baby aspirin is no longer "safe" for babies and children is because of the claim that Aspirin used in children under the age of 19 are at risk for Reye's Syndrome. Can someone tell me if this is a real risk and if it is still possible to use baby aspirin for children safely?

HDD

" In the 1980s, there was a big publicity campaign warning parents that giving aspirin to a child with the flu could cause the potentially deadly Reye syndrome. Aspirin sales declined sharply, as sales of acetaminophen (Tylenol, etc.) increased tremendously. But in Australia, a study of Reye syndrome cases found that six times as many of them had been using acetaminophen as had used aspirin. (Orlowski, et al., 1987)"

http://raypeat.com/articles/aging/aspir ... ncer.shtml

''Reye's syndrome was a rare disease which appeared suddenly in the early 1950s and disappeared just as suddenly in the late 1980s. An association between Reye's syndrome and the ingestion of aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) was claimed, although no proof of causation was ever established. The presence of salicylates in the blood or urine of Reye's syndrome patients has not been demonstrated, and no animal model of Reye's syndrome has been developed where aspirin causes the disease. It is clear from epidemiological data that the incidence of Reye's syndrome was decreasing well before warning labels were placed on aspirin products. Reye's syndrome disappeared from countries where aspirin was not used in children as well as from countries which continued to use aspirin in children. Reye's syndrome was probably either a viral mutation which spontaneously disappeared, or a conglomeration of metabolic disorders that had not been recognized or described at that time.''

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11994026

CoolTweetPete

HDD said:
post 87767 " In the 1980s, there was a big publicity campaign warning parents that giving aspirin to a child with the flu could cause the potentially deadly Reye syndrome. Aspirin sales declined sharply, as sales of acetaminophen (Tylenol, etc.) increased tremendously. But in Australia, a study of Reye syndrome cases found that six times as many of them had been using acetaminophen as had used aspirin. (Orlowski, et al., 1987)"

http://raypeat.com/articles/aging/aspir ... ncer.shtml

The history of nutrition and medicine never fail to baffle me. :ninja

Last edited by a moderator:
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
ddjd Vaccination schedule for 3 month old baby in Germany...how to convince my partner not to? Ask For Help or Advice 25
ddjd Baby not having bowel movements for 5-10 days after vaccination?? Ask For Help or Advice 22
ddjd NEED HELP. My partner wants the vaccine and is breastfeeding our 3 week old baby Ask For Help or Advice 125
Drareg White Baby’s are racist at 3 months old! Scientific Studies 12
TheSir At What Age Do Men Get 'baby Fever'? Ask For Help or Advice 11
meatbag Baby Boomers Show Concerning Decline In Cognitive Function Political Talk, Alternative World Theories 4
J Homeade Baby Formula As Back Up In Case Wife Struggles Producing Breast Milk Health 4
J Formula Alternatives For A Newborn Baby Female Issues 22
B 18 Month Old Vegan Baby Dies Of Malnutrition Breaking News 87
M What Regimen Would One Adopt To Save This Baby's Life? Ask For Help or Advice 9
haidut Endotoxin (and Baby Formula) May Be The Cause Of IBD And Brain Damage Scientific Studies 29
haidut Johnson & Johnson Concealed For Decades Its Baby Powder Had Asbestos Breaking News 8
Redshine Metabolism Baby/toddler Children 2
C CaliforniaKat's Baby Steps To Health Logs 12
haidut DNA Of Every Baby Born In California Is Collected And Sold To Companies Miscellaneous Health Discussions 31
H Can Your Thinning Pattern Be Observed As A Baby Hair & Nails 1
cyclops Best Diet For Baby Boy Diet 26
michael94 Drinking Milk Out Of A Baby Bottle? Miscellaneous Health Discussions 8
Drareg Baby Death: Parents Convicted Over Vegetable Milk Diet Miscellaneous Health Discussions 20
E First Baby Food Ask For Help or Advice 18
J Shrimp And OJ Make Me Horny Baby! Male Issues 20
kaybb Colic, Fussy, Baby Ask For Help or Advice 6
lindsay Spring Is Baby Making Time (for Snails) Animals 2
Parsifal Why Is There A Lot Of Fat In Baby Milk (half Sugar/fat) If It Exacerbates The Randle Cycle? Ray Peat Topics 28
L Moderate amounts of caffeine during pregnancy do not harm baby's IQ Coffee 0
M Food for a baby/toddler Children 11
Adnada Baby Acne / Rash Skin 1
I optimum baby formula recipe? Ask For Help or Advice 1
J Johnson's baby shampoo Body Care 7
R Aspirin rage Mental Issues 6
M Aspirin-triggered resolvin D1 down-regulates inflammatory responses and protects against endotoxin-induced acute kidney injury Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 0
M Aspirin causing constipation and heartburn? Ask For Help or Advice 2
W Methylene Blue & Aspirin Sources Supplements 1
G Aspirin Yesterday...Salt Today Ask For Help or Advice 2
T New Aspirin Recommendations Aspirin 17
A Aspirin could protect the lungs of COVID-19 patients, minimize the need for mechanical ventilation, according to new research at George Washington U. Scientific Studies 0
F So will aspirin hinder fat loss or not when you hypometabolic??? Ask For Help or Advice 0
haidut PUFA required for periodontal disease, aspirin may help Scientific Studies 12
J Anti-Peat Danny Roddy's aspirin video, Worst of the hair loss industry Debate - Anti-Peat 11
Doludolu Extra "ingredients" in Aspirin & Magnesium Aspirin 8
N Natural versus synthetic aspirin ? Health 4
G When dissolving aspirin Ask For Help or Advice 29
F Is 5g aspirin daily safe in long term? Ask For Help or Advice 15
A Real-world evidence for improved outcomes with Famotidine and Aspirin in 22,560 COVID-19 patients Scientific Studies 4
Kaktos Losartan alongside aspirin? Safe for a few days? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 0
G Vit K mk7 dosages if aspirin is being supplemented? Ask For Help or Advice 3
eat my peat High dose aspirin for costochondritis? Health 23
haidut Aspirin reduces symptom severity, COVID-19 mortality by half Scientific Studies 12
Arnau Where to buy aspirin online in Spain Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 2
OccamzRazer Putting aspirin solution in bloodshot eye? Eyes, Ears, Nose and Headaches/Migraines 8