Baby Aspirin No Longer For Babies

Peaterpeater

My 4 year old son had fever twice during the month of May. The first fever was due to tonsilitis and the second fever was due to H. influenza. Both times I was forced to give him Panadol & Voltaren to bring his high fever down. My husband told me that his mother used to give him baby aspirin to bring down his fever when he was a child. I thought this would be a good idea since Ray has enlightened us on the benefits of Aspirin. I looked for baby aspirin for children and found none. Every "baby aspirin" I found OTC was for adults who needed aspirin in small doses. The reason that baby aspirin is no longer "safe" for babies and children is because of the claim that Aspirin used in children under the age of 19 are at risk for Reye's Syndrome. Can someone tell me if this is a real risk and if it is still possible to use baby aspirin for children safely?

HDD

" In the 1980s, there was a big publicity campaign warning parents that giving aspirin to a child with the flu could cause the potentially deadly Reye syndrome. Aspirin sales declined sharply, as sales of acetaminophen (Tylenol, etc.) increased tremendously. But in Australia, a study of Reye syndrome cases found that six times as many of them had been using acetaminophen as had used aspirin. (Orlowski, et al., 1987)"

http://raypeat.com/articles/aging/aspir ... ncer.shtml

''Reye's syndrome was a rare disease which appeared suddenly in the early 1950s and disappeared just as suddenly in the late 1980s. An association between Reye's syndrome and the ingestion of aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) was claimed, although no proof of causation was ever established. The presence of salicylates in the blood or urine of Reye's syndrome patients has not been demonstrated, and no animal model of Reye's syndrome has been developed where aspirin causes the disease. It is clear from epidemiological data that the incidence of Reye's syndrome was decreasing well before warning labels were placed on aspirin products. Reye's syndrome disappeared from countries where aspirin was not used in children as well as from countries which continued to use aspirin in children. Reye's syndrome was probably either a viral mutation which spontaneously disappeared, or a conglomeration of metabolic disorders that had not been recognized or described at that time.''

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11994026

CoolTweetPete

HDD said:
post 87767 " In the 1980s, there was a big publicity campaign warning parents that giving aspirin to a child with the flu could cause the potentially deadly Reye syndrome. Aspirin sales declined sharply, as sales of acetaminophen (Tylenol, etc.) increased tremendously. But in Australia, a study of Reye syndrome cases found that six times as many of them had been using acetaminophen as had used aspirin. (Orlowski, et al., 1987)"

http://raypeat.com/articles/aging/aspir ... ncer.shtml

The history of nutrition and medicine never fail to baffle me. :ninja

Last edited by a moderator: