Are Nuts That Bad?

Frankdee20

I eat about 3 Brazil nuts a day because it's high in Selenium and I don't want any other extra supplements. I can't imagine I'll get cancer from the PUFA. I eat no other nuts or polys.

I eat about 3 Brazil nuts a day because it's high in Selenium and I don't want any other extra supplements. I can't imagine I'll get cancer from the PUFA. I eat no other nuts or polys.

PUFAs are more than cancer causing. They depress metabolism and interefere with thyroid.

Terma

I never gained as much weight on anything as I did eating raw macadamia nut butter (the paleo thing). It's sooo good.

Xisca

Maybe because they bring more than PUFAs?
Just think about the hunza traditional eating of apricot's almond, now called vitamine B17...

I would eat some nuts, but not use the oil, nor even the butter with the oil quite separated and un-emulsified.
I also eat some brazilian nuts for selenium.
I eat local macadamias, and exceptional almonds when offered them, as they are local as well.
I use some hemp seeds from time to time. They have the right balance 3 and 6.

DuggaDugga

Most nuts are good sources of minerals that the general public would otherwise not get in the nutrient-void Western diet.
Nuts have been promoted by mainstream science as health-promoting for decades and my guess is any study that finds correlation between them and desirable outcomes is inheriting other unmeasured/uncontrolled systematic differences of these health-conscious individuals.
Short of providing a reasonable physiological mechanism, which most of those studies lack, it's difficult for me to invest much reverence in those epidemiological studies.

Oh, and regarding the OP: I actually watched that guy's hair loss video right before I discovered Danny Roddy. He's pretty entertaining but I recall him saying to avoid animal products because they "gunk you up". Entertaining, yes; rigorous, no.

Last edited:

artlange

Excreting PUFA.

According to Ray, the body prefers to metabolize SFA over PUFA, so when you eat a mix of SFA and PUFA, the PUFA is put into storage and the SFA is burned. Every night the liver gluconerates(sp?) some PUFA (foamy urine anyone?) some of the Peaty things like niacinamide, aspirin and Vit E protect the liver. Haidut suggests taurine helps the liver. so when you cut down on PUFA intale below your liver clearing rate, your body will eventually clear the PUFA from your fat stores provided your liver is getting enough protein and sugar.

see this thread.
PUFA Detox And Long Term Well Being

Frankdee20

Can anyone inform me of how exactly Taurine helps the liver ? Does it simply conjugate fats through bile production?

Gadsie

In your opinion why nuts are associated with health in, apparently, every study?

Nuts & Obesity: The Weight of Evidence | NutritionFacts.org

Vitamin E, antioxydant?
That video only shows that nuts are associated with lower weight gain (as far as I saw, I quickly scanned through it), not necessarily 'health'. I think it's true that PUFA's can cause slightly less weight gain than SFA's on a eucaloric diet, but it's not going to make a significant difference. When humans are pufa depleted their metabolism can increase up to 40%.

johnwester130

they are not that bad

it's the liquid oils you want to avoid, sunflower oil, canola oil, etc etc

lampofred

Most nuts come with high amounts of Vitamin E. Nature is smart. Peat's anti PUFA stance gets unreasonably obsessive at times. Don'ta bucket a day but I really don't think a few high quality nuts daily will do any harm especially if they are giving you minerals you can't get elsewhere.

It's mainly refined vegetable oil devoid of vitamin e that's the main problem imo.

Xisca

Yeah, and I would not neglect berries either, even if their seeds have pufas... Now I spit grapes seeds, but I still eat stawberries or raspberries whole!
Even unrefined sunflower oil is not ok for me. Green sprouts of sunflower make a nice salad.... and no job to open seeds.

"Nature is smart" +1
If we can stay smart ourselves....

Lurker

Peat has mentioned that raw nuts contain uncooked starches and roasted would obviously be oxidized nut pufa plus some rancid industrial waste product such as cotton seed oil. But a few nuts every once in a while probably would not be the prime cause of your death. I also eat a few Brazil nuts and occasionally a handful of almonds. I buy mine at Whole Foods or Earthfare. I've tried other stores and the nuts weren't nearly as fresh.

schultz

That brings your PUFA up to 3.5g for the day, just with those 3 nuts. You could eat 5 eggs instead and get way more nutrients and still lower PUFA. Selenium is an easy mineral to get. If you enjoy the Brazil nuts then I say go for it, but if you're only doing it for the selenium then you should look into finding a different selenium source (my personal opinion).

Also I think Brazil nuts contain radium and barium. However, I am not sure if it is significant and I don't know much about it. I never looked into it because I don't eat them. Just something to consider, though my guess is it probably doesn't matter.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals