Nut Consumption

natedawggh

I don't appreciate the tone taken with this poster. Please refrain from using insulting language, some have already been reported to the moderators.

Now about the post... Without commenting on the study, which I'm skeptical of seeing its source, I too have wondered about the health benefits of Nuts. Ray Peat says they are toxic, and I understand that there are toxic elements to them, but Peat also talks about the health benefits of vitamin E, and the best natural source for it is... NUTS. I use vit e as a supplement, and it comes from sunflower seeds. As far as I know there's no such thing as a saturated fat source of vitamin E, so I'd be interested to hear the justification for why the vitamin E in nuts wouldn't counterbalance the negative effects of the toxic parts? Is it so different from milk's high tryptophan content?

juanitacarlos

I think phytic acid is one of the problems with seeds and nuts - it inhibits absorption of minerals and interferes with digestion. Proper preparation would probably minimise this. But I don't think the vitamin E in nuts would have any impact on phytic acid.

I think good quality eggs would be a better source of Vitamin E.

Suikerbuik

Let's sum it up:
Pros:
- Vitamin E
- Nutrient dense (theoretical).
- Contain some phytochemicals*
- It is said that nuts promote testosterone, but this is because of the high amount of Mg, Se and other minerals. So if you make sure you get these nutrients from more other foods. I don't think nuts exert this benefit.

*How phytochemicals affect our biology (in depth) remains largely unknown. though some phytochemicals can inhibit the aromatase enzyme. Just don't think that the ones that have the potential to inhibit the aromatase enzyme in vivo are present in nuts, phytochemicals in nuts. Perhaps consuming orange juice is way better, see below.

Cons:
- Allergenic
- hard to digest (doubt you extract all nutrients)
- Often containing pathogenic molds/fungi and thus carcinogenic substances (aflatoxin is one)
- Often radiated (radiation can cause PUFA to oxidize?, didn't research this but just logical thinking since radiation is ionogenic)
- Not negligible amount of PUFA
- Oxalic acid (binds minerals)
- Phytic acid - If not soaked (binds minerals)
- Ratio of amino acids is not balanced. The arginin to lysin ratio favors the replication of (some) virusses.
- Fig. 1 of the mediteranean study shows no benefit in mortality rates compared to control. (Though it indeed seems to help some heart problems issues)
- Nuts are also somewhat pricey and often not fresh

Easy if you ask me ;)

----

Orange juice as aromatase inhibitor, it's just that most phytochemicals are in the peel. Anyway oranges contain phytonutrients include hesperetin and naringenin.

Chrysin, the most potent of the naturally-occurring flavonoids, was similar in potency and effectiveness to AG, a pharmaceutical aromatase inhibitor used clinically in cases of estrogen-dependent carcinoma.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9831487 (AG is a drug - aminoglutethimide)

Previous in vitro study has demonstrated that apigenin (APG), naringenin (NGN) and hesperetin (HSP) are three of the most potent natural aromatase inhibitors.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22209285 Haven't read full paper so have any other reference

In almost all the works mentioned above, a naringin potential was also assessed. This flavonoid only slightly weaker than chrysin inhibited aromatase. On the other hand, Jeong showed that hesperetin is a AI even stronger than chrysin. Since both compounds are the main polyphenols of citrus fruit (hesperetin - orange, naringin - grapefruit)
http://www.megabol.com/aromatase.htm Nor for this one I can't find any further refenrence unfortunately..

kiran

As far as I know, OJ is re-flavored (after being stored in vacuum to preserve it) with the extract from the peel, so you get that too when you get commercial OJ.

ilovethesea

ttramone said:
I don't know what your age is or your background is, but most people here have been royally f*cked by the medical industry and mainstream science advice, so we're a cynical, yet lovable and adorable bunch.

^This! Thanks for making me laugh out loud - I feel like I have found my people here :)

Curt :-)

@Kasper, In Peaty circles it is considered poor form to question someone's serotonin levels ;-)

jyb

kiran said:
As far as I know, OJ is re-flavored (after being stored in vacuum to preserve it) with the extract from the peel, so you get that too when you get commercial OJ.

Doesn't that leach the pesticides found on the OJ skin? I also noticed that some commercial fresh squeezed OJ had a lot of peel into it, which I can tell from the taste, and I wonder if that also means the serious pesticides are mixed in too.

kiran

jyb said:
kiran said:

Doesn't that leach the pesticides found on the OJ skin? I also noticed that some commercial fresh squeezed OJ had a lot of peel into it, which I can tell from the taste, and I wonder if that also means the serious pesticides are mixed in too.

As far as I can remember, I believe that oranges (and apples etc) destined for juice are spared the final application of pesticide (intended to make them last till market). So the skin might be cleaner than that of oranges sold commercially.

pboy

all I know is that nuts and seeds barely digest...for anyone. So its probably not really a big factor either way...the people who eat nuts are probably simply eating them in place of worse snack foods. They might also be acting like the 'carrot' in the sense that they are a bulk cleaner in a sense. Also...they do have high arginine and usually increase nitric oxide and dilate blood vessels. I don't know if that is actually an immune reaction to the nuts, but it might help people over time keep their arteries more flexible / clear. On a side note...cacao (chocolate) is similar to nuts in terms of nutrition but has much more minerals than most others, and is usually less allergenic

Barry Obummer

I put pumpkin seeds in the coffee grinder and make meal. Does that help them digest? Or is it more of a chemical thing and not a physical thing?

mt_dreams

I put pumpkin seeds in the coffee grinder and make meal. Does that help them digest? Or is it more of a chemical thing and not a physical thing?

easier on the teeth maybe. like all seeds, they contain pufa, so grinding them does not help in this regard.

EIRE24

Well if you like nuts indeed eat them! To be honest, when I sometimes (lately not much) feel like I want to eat nuts I just eat them.. The stress is way more detrimental. In eggs is PUFA too, PUFA is dose dependant and besides that digesting nuts isn´t so easy, part of the fat will certainly be lost in the stool, even in people with good digestion. Remember that Peat is not 0,000000 PUFA just have to be balanced with (mono-un)saturated fat.

Anyway I am not convinced on longlivety. See the chart again, do they really live longer? It's the whole picture, life, place in social community, etc.

Perhaps I am not 100% Peater then.. Broccoli is fine if you ask me and I do eat it occasionally, like other vegetables but just not much.. Not 9-20 servings some mercola or any other advices!! Just eat what you want.. Food is just part of the whole, though PUFA is certainly something not to be consumed to much.

Peat's articles are by far not the only thing I have read. Peat's work on immune system and microbiota misses some points for sure. I think the reason why people don't do good on Peat is gut flora/ disbiosis or state of chronic disease. Not sure a Peat inspired diet resolves all chronic disease states.. no.. unfortunately not, but it helps you understand biology. But for this reason people leave Peat because they want to be cured. Anyway see mercola, when you understand biology, you will come back haha ;) :D . As said before:

By the way Kasper you are Dutch? (your name sounds Dutch)

I also think that this is why some people don't thrive on a peat diet like myself. Gut dysbiosis is definitely a factor, how to fix it is the question.

I think people change too many things too fast and loading an already messed up gut with sugar and fruit will not help to solve anything.

also, Peat is not high on supplements. He's big on real food. Yet people here and elsewhere do "Peating" with a ton of supplements. I'm not saying that's bad, just that it's not what Peat actually talks about doing.

Barry Obummer

also, Peat is not high on supplements. He's big on real food. Yet people here and elsewhere do "Peating" with a ton of supplements. I'm not saying that's bad, just that it's not what Peat actually talks about doing.
I'm pretty sure GNC, walmart, target and some other people got caught by a reputable university study for having virtually no actual herb in the product for which is was labeled. The whole supplement industry is sketchy.

L

Louisa

I am reading on various sites that pumpkin seeds should be avoided with hypothyroidism and other sites say exactly the opposite ???

heartnhands

You keep offering epidemiological studies. I'm pretty sure they can be manipulated to support whatever hair-brained idea the establishment has. It's fish oil; it's broccoli; it's nuts; it's goji berries blah blah. I think most of us were drawn to Peat because his work is based on how the human body actually works, not some guess based on what people reported they ate last year.

From the original study you posted:

Given the observational nature of our study, it is not possible to conclude that the observed inverse association between nut consumption and mortality reflects cause and effect.

Says it all really.
Thanks for your fact based response. The general focus if the abstract is like so many "ted herring" click bate tags....someone needs a hug or new paycheck.

Barry Obummer

I also think that this is why some people don't thrive on a peat diet like myself. Gut dysbiosis is definitely a factor, how to fix it is the question.

I think people change too many things too fast and loading an already messed up gut with sugar and fruit will not help to solve anything.
I can not digest raw fruit or vegetables (except citrus). If I eat an apple, no matter how good I chew, I can see pieces of apple in my stool, as if it didn't get digested at all. The blender helps but I still get bloating. There is no way I would be able to incorporate raw fruit any time soon.
I am reading on various sites that pumpkin seeds should be avoided with hypothyroidism and other sites say exactly the opposite ???
Well they have a lot of minerals and some quality protein which is good but they are high in Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids PUFA which according to RP and some studies I have seen is bad. I think basically every topic has sites that will contradict one another lol.

Luann

To get to the heart of this thread, asking if nuts lead to longevity is like asking, do you want a side of vitamin E with your PUFA? And the answer is a reluctant yes: when compared to other sources of that FA, nuts are better.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals