Iodine making hypothyroid symptoms worse?

mariantos

No prob. How is it going the Lugol for you?
So far pretty good, I finally have warm hands and feet, I can eat things that contain sugar without the apparition of eczema, I no longer have problems with constipation, I am calmer, more energetic. I think it works against what I consider to be a fungal infection, which destroyed about 3 years of my life and I still feel that I am not fully cured.

Makrosky

So far pretty good, I finally have warm hands and feet, I can eat things that contain sugar without the apparition of eczema, I no longer have problems with constipation, I am calmer, more energetic. I think it works against what I consider to be a fungal infection, which destroyed about 3 years of my life and I still feel that I am not fully cured.
:cool: super glad to hear that, Iodine has been a life saver for me at some points of my life. God bless it, I can say no less.

And definitely it is a direct anti fungal + if you increase your metabolism with it it will also help clearing up the fungus.

It is funny how my 68yrs old mom found iodine (nascent form, not Lugol) through her naturopathic DR and swears by it. I never mentioned that I was using iodine to her before, it was an "ohhh yeah! welcome to the club" moment.

mariantos

:cool: super glad to hear that, Iodine has been a life saver for me at some points of my life. God bless it, I can say no less.

And definitely it is a direct anti fungal + if you increase your metabolism with it it will also help clearing up the fungus.

It is funny how my 68yrs old mom found iodine (nascent form, not Lugol) through her naturopathic DR and swears by it. I never mentioned that I was using iodine to her before, it was an "ohhh yeah! welcome to the club" moment.
I'm glad it solved your and your mother's problems too.

I hope to keep my metabolism accelerated, otherwise it is agonizing for my body, but also for my mind, I was perplexed when I saw what ugly symptoms the overgrowth of fungus causes.

Makrosky

I'm glad it solved your and your mother's problems too.

I hope to keep my metabolism accelerated, otherwise it is agonizing for my body, but also for my mind, I was perplexed when I saw what ugly symptoms the overgrowth of fungus causes.
Make sure you keep the micronutrients up. Accelerated metabolism uses them faster.

Jam

Hello!

1g of potassium iodide, not Lugol. 2 different things.

Why? Just to experiment. I was young. And bit stupid maybe for doing those experuments. But didn't get any bad effects. I don't recall it exactly but I think from 300mg and above I didn't notice much difference. Whereas from 0mg to 300mg there was an increase in benefits. But please guys be careful when doing that. Everybody is different.

Some people can tolerate 15 or 20mg DHEA x day and I can barely tolerate even 1mg.
Potassium iodide has been taken in multi-gram doses for over a century with no major side effects. Considering that the RDA is 0.150 mg, iodide is less toxic than water. The only documented overdoses that I know of were 2 deaths after multiple 30g+ doses caused by hyperkalemia.

Makrosky

Potassium iodide has been taken in multi-gram doses for over a century with no major side effects. Considering that the RDA is 0.150 mg, iodide is less toxic than water. The only documented overdoses that I know of were 2 deaths after multiple 30g+ doses caused by hyperkalemia.
Less toxic than water... yeah, sure.

The multi gram doses thing is said by many people on the iodine community but I never found any evidence of that on published papers or any kind of records to prove that. Have you? That's why I never mention this fact. But please share your sources for that claim if you have them, I am 100% interested.

Jam

Less toxic than water... yeah, sure.

The multi gram doses thing is said by many people on the iodine community but I never found any evidence of that on published papers or any kind of records to prove that. Have you? That's why I never mention this fact. But please share your sources for that claim if you have them, I am 100% interested.
Yes, less toxic than water. You took 1 gram of KI (a perfectly safe dosage), while the RDA is 0.00015 grams. Assuming the RDA of water is 3 liters, that would be like drinking 20,000 liters. Don't try this at home.

Dr. B

Yes, less toxic than water. You took 1 gram of KI (a perfectly safe dosage), while the RDA is 0.00015 grams. Assuming the RDA of water is 3 liters, that would be like drinking 20,000 liters. Don't try this at home.
that only means its ratio of safety relative to its rda is safer. in literal terms water is still safer as the 3 liters is much greater than 1 gram. Moreover, there is no nutrient, not even vitamin K which you could say is perfectly safe in a dosage thousands of times its rda... according to Peat even 500mcg of potassium iodide (from food and supplements combined) on a daily basis is not safe which means his views on iodine are even more conservative than mainstream medicine. Mainstream docs/medicine consider vitamin A to be one of the most dangerous nutrients with an RDA of 5000IU yet safe upper limit of 10000 IU... and they consider 1mg or 1000mcg to be the safe upper limit for iodine

Makrosky

that only means its ratio of safety relative to its rda is safer. in literal terms water is still safer as the 3 liters is much greater than 1 gram. Moreover, there is no nutrient, not even vitamin K which you could say is perfectly safe in a dosage thousands of times its rda... according to Peat even 500mcg of potassium iodide (from food and supplements combined) on a daily basis is not safe which means his views on iodine are even more conservative than mainstream medicine. Mainstream docs/medicine consider vitamin A to be one of the most dangerous nutrients with an RDA of 5000IU yet safe upper limit of 10000 IU... and they consider 1mg or 1000mcg to be the safe upper limit for iodine
His RDA thing is non sense. Toxicity to death is measured in LD50 or similar, not in times x RDA.

Besides RDA concept is another non sense in itself.

Jam

LOL, think what you wish. That you think RDA is nonsense is a nice strawman, though. The bottom line is that very few substances (or none that I can think of at the moment) have such a broad biologically safe and effective dosage range, period.

Jam

To answer the OP: besides what Makrosky correctly noted about metabolic considerations, iodine is also known to lower histamine...

Dr. B

LOL, think what you wish. That you think RDA is nonsense is a nice strawman, though. The bottom line is that very few substances (or none that I can think of at the moment) have such a broad biologically safe and effective dosage range, period.
RDAs are mainstream standards, Peat agrees with some of them and thinks others are too high or low like he thinks iron is too high.
However, if you believe in RDA's you would also be forced to believe in the "safe upper limits" and "toxicity limits". You're citing RDA of iodine and saying hundreds of mg iodine are safe, but, the people who created the RDA for iodine and who enforce its labelling on vitamin supplements, believe the safe upper limit is 1000mcg which is only around 6x the rda. On a similar note the same people whom established an rda of 5000IU for vitamin A also claim its safe upper limit is 10000 IU daily. if you believe in rdas those have the same credibility and source as the safe upper limits... if you believe in dosing a supplement above/well above the established safe upper limit guidelines then the rda pretty much becomes useless.

Jam

RDAs are mainstream standards, Peat agrees with some of them and thinks others are too high or low like he thinks iron is too high.
However, if you believe in RDA's you would also be forced to believe in the "safe upper limits" and "toxicity limits". You're citing RDA of iodine and saying hundreds of mg iodine are safe, but, the people who created the RDA for iodine and who enforce its labelling on vitamin supplements, believe the safe upper limit is 1000mcg which is only around 6x the rda. On a similar note the same people whom established an rda of 5000IU for vitamin A also claim its safe upper limit is 10000 IU daily. if you believe in rdas those have the same credibility and source as the safe upper limits... if you believe in dosing a supplement above/well above the established safe upper limit guidelines then the rda pretty much becomes useless.
Mr. Bollox, I have nothing against you personally but please be aware that I will no longer read your posts, even if you quote me. Your posts are all identical and always littered with appeal to authority logical fallacies that I quite honestly have no time to waste on.

Dr. B

Mr. Bollox, I have nothing against you personally but please be aware that I will no longer read your posts, even if you quote me. Your posts are all identical and always littered with appeal to authority logical fallacies that I quite honestly have no time to waste on.
no problem, and your claim is honestly mistaken... I dont personally believe in the rda or most of the mainstream dietary/supplemental advice... you brought up the concept of RDA and I was pointing out the same sources who advise on an RDA, also provide a table for "safe upper limits" for each nutrient that they provide an RDA for. its the same source for both the RDA and the upper limits for nutrients. for instance iodines rda is 150mcg, upper limit is 1000mcg. vitamin A rda is 5000IU, upper limit 10000 IU. moreover, iodine cannot be safer than water, its a nutrient and water can be drink by the gallon. there may be different ratios with the lethal dosages of iodine compared to rda, vs water compared to its rda

Were you using potassium iodide or lugol? They act differently.

After seeing it under a Peat prism I think Lugol is better since elemental iodine is pro oxidant I think. So it balances potassium iodide and viceversa.

TSH is meant to increase during the first stages of iodine supplementation, according to one doctor (I can't recall her name now, maybe Tennpeny) TSH increases as a means to pump more iodine into cells or something like that. Don't know how accurate is this or if she made an ad-hoc explanation. I remember from many years ago on iodine forums people reporting this : TSH going high, then after a few weeks/months going down.

I am not advising anyone to use iodine, keep it it mind please. Just sharing the info that I have gathered after many years.

It was 5% Lugol's.

I wasn't so much worried about the TSH increase per se but seeing hair and eyebrows thin out was a sign of there being less thyroid hormones in the body. My labs also showed a drop in T4 to near the bottom end of the range, and it had never been that low before.

It did seem to help somewhat with estrogen control, which was shown in some studies as well. My main reason for taking it was to attempt to improve my thyroid status, but I didn't have the feeling that the changes I saw were positive or were going to help in the long run.

Jam

I think I should make an explicit statement about my views on iodine here for any new readers that haven't had a chance to read what else I've written on the subject on this forum in the past, and also for those who may be misinterpreting by views.

So first off, there are two principal forms of iodine: Molecular iodine (I2), and the reduced form called Iodide (I-).

Unless there is a known iodine deficiency, I do not believe that iodine or iodide should be used as a nutritional supplement.

If there is a known deficiency, the only form of iodine I would recommend is Lugol's iodine, which contains both I2 and I-. 2 drops of the 5% daily should be more than enough to reach sufficiency. When in doubt, selenium as selenomethionine should always be taken along with the iodine.

Then there is the quite broad area of medicinal usage of iodine, principally in the form of I-. During the early half of the last century, the literature produced on this subject was relatively vast, but it has been suppressed and is difficult, although not impossible, to locate some of it. There is also the large body of research recently produced by Abraham, G.E., Flechas et al. Suffice it to say that generally speaking, it has been suppressed for the very same reasons that say Ivermectin or Hydroxychloroquine are being suppressed today. The root motives are the same.

The most important take-home message about iodine/iodide is that it is a fantastic anti-septic, anti-oxidant (the good kind, I2 even more so) and anti-inflammatory, principally due to the fact that it substitutes for chlorine in the myeloperoxidase-produced hypohalous acids generated in activated neutrophils to fight off pathogens. Hypoiodous acid is far less toxic to host tissue than hypochlorous acid.

Finally, I would like to highlight that it is absolutely irresponsible to make gratuitous blanket statements rooted in personal anecdote and appeal-to-authority logical fallacies such as "iodine causes hypothyroidism", as Mr. bull**** is on the record to have done here in the very recent past. "I had (what I think were) hypothyroid symptoms when I took iodine, so iodine must cause hypothyroidism in everyone, and since (I wrongly think that) Peat says iodine causes hypothyroidism, iodine is bad." Do your own research and most importantly, "Perceive, Think, Act." Just stop spewing the typical big pharma-backed propaganda, please.

Makrosky

I think I should make an explicit statement about my views on iodine here for any new readers that haven't had a chance to read what else I've written on the subject on this forum in the past, and also for those who may be misinterpreting by views.

So first off, there are two principal forms of iodine: Molecular iodine (I2), and the reduced form called Iodide (I-).

Unless there is a known iodine deficiency, I do not believe that iodine or iodide should be used as a nutritional supplement.

If there is a known deficiency, the only form of iodine I would recommend is Lugol's iodine, which contains both I2 and I-. 2 drops of the 5% daily should be more than enough to reach sufficiency. When in doubt, selenium as selenomethionine should always be taken along with the iodine.

Then there is the quite broad area of medicinal usage of iodine, principally in the form of I-. During the early half of the last century, the literature produced on this subject was relatively vast, but it has been suppressed and is difficult, although not impossible, to locate some of it. There is also the large body of research recently produced by Abraham, G.E., Flechas et al. Suffice it to say that generally speaking, it has been suppressed for the very same reasons that say Ivermectin or Hydroxychloroquine are being suppressed today. The root motives are the same.

The most important take-home message about iodine/iodide is that it is a fantastic anti-septic, anti-oxidant (the good kind, I2 even more so) and anti-inflammatory, principally due to the fact that it substitutes for chlorine in the myeloperoxidase-produced hypohalous acids generated in activated neutrophils to fight off pathogens. Hypoiodous acid is far less toxic to host tissue than hypochlorous acid.

Finally, I would like to highlight that it is absolutely irresponsible to make gratuitous blanket statements rooted in personal anecdote and appeal-to-authority logical fallacies such as "iodine causes hypothyroidism", as Mr. bull**** is on the record to have done here in the very recent past. "I had (what I think were) hypothyroid symptoms when I took iodine, so iodine must cause hypothyroidism in everyone, and since (I wrongly think that) Peat says iodine causes hypothyroidism, iodine is bad." Do your own research and most importantly, "Perceive, Think, Act." Just stop spewing the typical big pharma-backed propaganda, please.
Now, that PDF from 1961 is a good one. I could never come across any articles backing up the historical claims. Thanks!

Btw, you are being extremely rude with the guy. He got a very bad reaction (God knows why) is worried and needs some support.

Jam

Now, that PDF from 1961 is a good one. I could never come across any articles backing up the historical claims. Thanks!

Btw, you are being extremely rude with the guy. He got a very bad reaction (God knows why) is worried and needs some support.
If you are referring to Mr. Bollox (or Mr. bull**** in American English), he is on my ignore list for continuously spewing misinformation about iodine. I am done with him. If you are referring to the OP, I have not made a single rude statement towards him and even commented to watch out for the antihistaminic effect of iodine, which may be a possible explanation in general in those cases where Lugol's (not so much pure KI) causes someone to feel tired. In such cases, it is probably best taken before bed. FWIW, when I am stressed out after a long day, nothing makes me sleep better than 5-6 drops of Lugol's taken before bed.

Makrosky

If you are referring to Mr. Bollox (or Mr. bull**** in American English), he is on my ignore list for continuously spewing misinformation about iodine. I am done with him. If you are referring to the OP, I have not made a single rude statement towards him and even commented to watch out for the antihistaminic effect of iodine, which may be a possible explanation in general in those cases where Lugol's (not so much pure KI) causes someone to feel tired. In such cases, it is probably best taken before bed. FWIW, when I am stressed out after a long day, nothing makes me sleep better than 5-6 drops of Lugol's taken before bed.
What is your experience with Nascent iodine if any?

I always found Lugol, pure KI or a combination (custom made) of KI+Lugol to work better. And it doesn´t justify its super high price.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals