Why are peanuts, peanut butter bad to eat?

valzim

I know peanuts may have aflatoxin. But that can be said for many other foods. I found this chart of Omega 3 and Omega 6 in nuts. The last column is ratio. Walnuts have a lot of Omega 3. Peanuts have virtually no Omega 3 and compared to other nuts, have an average amount of Omega 6. Atom Bergstrom, who writes books on Omega 3 caused yellow fat disease (lipofuscin, etc), says Omega 6 dose not cause yellow fat disease. Many on this board say avoid peanuts and peanut butter like the plague. But is the peanut falsely accused?

Omega 3 Fats
Omega 6 FatsOmega 6:3 Ratio
Walnuts8.4935.74.20
Macadamia nuts0.1961.36.63
Pecans0.98620.620.89
Cashews0.1617.6647.58
Pistachios0.28914.148.79
Hazelnuts0.0877.8390.00
Pine nuts0.16433.2202.44
Almonds0.05214.5278.85
Brazil Nuts0.03623.9663.89
Peanuts0.0117.21720.00

Demyze

Read peat's articles, he discusses the issues with omega 6 if you're actually curious about the issue

Raypeat.com

Dave Clark

Yeah, and if you get the peanut butter that is not homogenized, where the oil sits on the top, you can pour that in the garbage, and replace it with a better oil of choice, i.e. MCT, macadamia, olive, coconut, palm kernel, etc., and then stir it in. Goodbye to most of the omega-6 fats if you use the right oil.
Although, there are other reasons people don't like peanut butter, chance of aflatoxin {less chance with peanuts like valencia, which is grown in low humid climates}, phytic acid, known as a nutrient inhibitor, etc., and protein content, maybe.

Perry Staltic

Peanuts are typically rotated with cotton, which is one of the, if not the, most sprayed with pesticides crops. So probably a lot of uptake in non-organic peanuts.

Dean

If you want to avoid the PUFA (mostly), just buy the peanut butter powder and mix it with butter or ghee. I also mix it into yogurt and sweetened condensed milk.

I understand there are other problems with peanuts and stuff in powdered form, but there are problems with just about every food if not inherent then in the way it is produced these days. Gotta eat something.

jmparret

I like peanut butter, it is all i have left after my lactose intolerance came to light. I only eat organic so that is a plus.

I got my nose blocked immediately while eating peanut butter. Tho it is one of my favorite tastes. That why I am not eating it. But it coulb be that you have not such reactions and if you feel great about it. One of my friends is eating a lot of peanut butter and he is not searching for particular organic ones. But he is also eating a lot of high quality meats and finsh. He is healthy as ****.

Demyze

I like peanut butter, it is all i have left after my lactose intolerance came to light. I only eat organic so that is a plus.
A lot of people who think they have lactose intolerance just have bacterial overgrowth and are hypothyroid, have you ever measured your temperature and pulse?

jmparret

Good catch, I have hypothyroidism. I am doing research but have not found any temperature pulse rate information with it. My temp is about 97 F and resting pulse rate 50 to 60. Thanks Demyze, I had no idea. Any input would be helpful. Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, EEEK.

Demyze

Good catch, I have hypothyroidism. I am doing research but have not found any temperature pulse rate information with it. My temp is about 97 F and resting pulse rate 50 to 60. Thanks Demyze, I had no idea. Any input would be helpful. Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, EEEK.
I became aware of this concept from Danny Roddy's podcast, check out his website

Functionalps has some good into and its worth checking out the interviews (available on thw forum if you search) with Ray Peat and reading the articles on his website as they're jam packed with information

jmparret

Danny Roddy is very busy and does lots of podcasts, so specific ones are a bit hard to find. I have done some research and think i have enough to get some help from my doctor. i will search more for this video.
Joe

BibleBeliever

The primary issue is polyunsaturated fat; PUFA.

The fat ratio is over 25% pufa. 2 tablespoons has over 1 day's worth: 4.5 grams, as it is not recommended to go over 4 grams generally.
Note that even extra virgin olive oil is about 10% ratio of PUFA and is not highly recommended, and even then has a higher vitamin e content to protect from the PUFA. Good animal fats, butter are closer to 3% PUFA ratio. I think coconut oil is about 1.5% ratio.

Eating it as a staple is like asking to make your joints hurt, decrease your energy output and to become weak.
Otherwise you can find endless studies that state omega 6 is much more inflammatory and cancer promoting.

Last edited:
To compare peanuts to other nuts is like comparing apples to lettuce, cause peanuts aren't a nut. Macadamias are far superior for health. I buy defatted peanut powder and mix in liquid coconut oil and some sugar to make my own peanut butter. My recipe is linked below...

Attachments

• 20210812_173856.jpg
    20210812_173856.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 24
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom