Soaking nuts, phytic acid, PUFAs

bookshelf

While I avoid nuts, I had learned along the way (prior to knowing the negative effects of PUFAs) that *if* you are consuming them (for whatever reason), it is best to soak them first in salted water, then drain, rinse, and dehydrate to remove or at least reduce significantly the phytic acid (and oxalate, actually) content. *If* I have nuts, this is a delicious way to eat them. I have found that they not only taste even better but digest better. Does anyone know if this process would also reduce they PUFA content?

Ben.

Interesting. Nuts taste like ***t to me when i soak them.

I have no idea if it reduces pufa content. I would think removing the "protective" antinutrients makes the nut more prone to mold and maybe even leading to rancid pufa content?

OP
bookshelf

bookshelf

Interesting. Nuts taste like ***t to me when i soak them.

I have no idea if it reduces pufa content. I would think removing the "protective" antinutrients makes the nut more prone to mold and maybe even leading to rancid pufa content?
Interesting. I've never had them go rancid faster using this method but do put them in the fridge or freezer once they've cooled. They keep very well that way. In fact, I don't think I've ever had them go rancid after soak/rinse/dehydrate and that includes some that had a months on end stay in the fridge. Whenever I offer nuts prepared in this manner, to a person, everyone can't get over how delicious they are. I'm sorry to hear you don't like them that way.

It would be great to confirm if the PUFA content diminishes with this approach. I haven't found anything that suggests that, just wishful thinking on my part. I don't eat enough in a year to have it be a concern, just a bonus if that were the case.

akgrrrl

Interesting. I've never had them go rancid faster using this method but do put them in the fridge or freezer once they've cooled. They keep very well that way. In fact, I don't think I've ever had them go rancid after soak/rinse/dehydrate and that includes some that had a months on end stay in the fridge. Whenever I offer nuts prepared in this manner, to a person, everyone can't get over how delicious they are. I'm sorry to hear you don't like them that way.

It would be great to confirm if the PUFA content diminishes with this approach. I haven't found anything that suggests that, just wishful thinking on my part. I don't eat enough in a year to have it be a concern, just a bonus if that were the case.
Ditto here. I dont dehydrate after soaking but do toast them in the oven on a cookie sheet then freeze if not using them for a red rice toss or baked goodie.
Finding accurate PUFA content for SPECIFIC items with multiple variance factors is challenging.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
I had some soaked and toasted nuts get rancid but I didn't store them in the fridge or freezer so that explains it. I don't buy nuts now and usually avoid them.

OP
bookshelf

bookshelf

Ditto here. I dont dehydrate after soaking but do toast them in the oven on a cookie sheet then freeze if not using them for a red rice toss or baked goodie.
Finding accurate PUFA content for SPECIFIC items with multiple variance factors is challenging.
It is!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals