How Did Doctors Not Know About The Risks Of Hormone Therapy?

David PS

burtlancast

Too bad the author doesn't discuss the actual amounts of estrogen and compare it with the natural levels.

And as commentators pointed out, where does that leave the anti-conception pill?

tankasnowgod

I'll commend Dr. Gregor for his stance criticizing both HRT and Xenoestrogens, but I never fully trust anything he says. Any animal based food, no matter how it's produced, is always unhealthy, while almost all plant based foods are reviewed favorably.

Case in point is soy. I'd think he'd as least be wary of the phytoestrogens, but no! While talking about soy (http://nutritionfacts.org/topics/soy), he states "Phytoestrogen intake through soy consumption in menopausal adult women may help to reduce hot flashes, while for young girls it may help delay the onset of premature menarche and puberty. Soy foods do not reduce male fertility."

Clicking on the Male Fertility link, I found his argument that Soy doesn't have any effect on male fertility egregiously dishonest. The abstract is Soy food and isoflavone intake in relation to semen quality parameters among men from an infertility clinic. - PubMed - NCBI, and full text- Soy food and isoflavone intake in relation to semen quality parameters among men from an infertility clinic

From the Methods section "The intake of 15 soy-based foods in the previous 3 months was assessed for 99 male partners of subfertile couples who presented for semen analyses to the Massachusetts General Hospital Fertility Center." Uh oh. Do you really want to use a study of subfertile men to claim, as your only piece of evidence, that something doesn't negatively affect fertility?

There is also the problem that this study relied on self reported dietary questionnaires, and the fact that men who reported the highest consumption of soy not only had the lowest sperm concentration, but the lowest percentage of normal sperm. Hardly robust evidence that soy doesn't affect male fertility.