Anything to stop frequent urination at night?

OP
FitnessMike

FitnessMike

@FitnessMike You say you have adrenals issues relating to low cortisol, and that the cortex you take helps. Was this part of your problem with blood sugar then, that you say had improved? Is this because you weren't able to make sugar from breaking down protein because cortisol was low? But unless you go on fasts, you hardly need cortisol to convert protein to sugar. Unless you are low on sugar from low glycogen stores due probably to sleep issues. Maybe you were using cortisol a lot to make up for blood sugar issues. So, if you can fix your blood sugar issues, such as with beefing up your glycogen stores through better sleep, you won't need to rely on cortisol as much, and you can give your adrenals a break. So, it's good idea that you're trying to fix your sleep issues from peeing.
yes i have suboptimal cortisol that i was suspecting for awhile and saliva test proved it. Blood sugar problems i have had were due to low glycogen at night due to low thyroid and during the day i had low blood sugar if i did not eat or eat anything with sugar, that would stem from suboptimal cortisol. I'm ok at night for now with the glycogen due to maybe black seed oil that or simply from taking cortex and helping the body to utilize thyroid hormones, that's what i think at least. Sometimes i had to eat at night at 3am to fall back asleep eventually, but sometimes even this did not help, but now its good, for now. Im going to test my thyroid tomm and see where my hormones are without supplementation, two weeks ago was still high from supplementation from over month ago now - it was accumulating in the body unused as i previously mentioned. I stongly belive that suboptimal cortisol is due to unaddressed hypothyroidism for a while and now i need to support my hpa axis? adrenals? in order to tolerate thyroid, but i want to see if with black cumin seed oil would be enough. Once sleep will be more restfull, stress load? will decrease and maybe that will be enough to kick off recovery :) last night was less peeing, i did 600mg asprin and stopped drinking at 7pm, im so sensitive to stress that even decaff coffee would make me piss so many times at night.

Nemo

Are we talking the dessicated thyroid you get from Ancestral supplements? I have a bit of fruit juice before bed for a sugar hit but now I'm typing that it's obviously liquid. Maybe I'll try an alternative sugar boost before bedtime.

Calvert, I have a glass of whole milk with sugar and salt in it at bedtime. I literally sit in bed and drink it, then turn out the light and go to sleep.

Now that I'm not hypothyroid, I sleep through the night without having to get up to pee, even though I drink a cup of milk right before sleeping.

When I was hypothyroid, I tried not drinking at all for at least the last hour before bedtime and it made no difference. I still woke up 3-4 times a night or more.

If I talk about dessicated thyroid, I mean a product like Armour or Idealabs' Tyromax.

yerrag

Calvert, I have a glass of whole milk with sugar and salt in it at bedtime. I literally sit in bed and drink it, then turn out the light and go to sleep.

Now that I'm not hypothyroid, I sleep through the night without having to get up to pee, even though I drink a cup of milk right before sleeping.

When I was hypothyroid, I tried not drinking at all for at least the last hour before bedtime and it made no difference. I still woke up 3-4 times a night or more.

If I talk about dessicated thyroid, I mean a product like Armour or Idealabs' Tyromax.
Do you remember the details? Did you pee with a full bladder each time you wake to pee? Strong pressure pee or weak? Large bubble foam (an inch), mid (1/8- 1/4 inch) or beer froth? I'm trying to compare a non-inflammation/infection -based urination to a purely metabolic deficiency-based urination.

Nemo

Do you remember the details? Did you pee with a full bladder each time you wake to pee? Strong pressure pee or weak? Large bubble foam (an inch), mid (1/8- 1/4 inch) or beer froth? I'm trying to compare a non-inflammation/infection -based urination to a purely metabolic deficiency-based urination.

I don't remember foam. A full bladder maybe half to 2/3 of the time, as best I can recall. The rest of the time full enough to make it uncomfortable to fall back asleep without getting up.

yerrag

I don't remember foam. A full bladder maybe half to 2/3 of the time, as best I can recall. The rest of the time full enough to make it uncomfortable to fall back asleep without getting up.
Thanks.

That makes my suspicion that foam is a sign of inflammation stronger. The finer it gets, the more oxidative stress involved, and the more antioxidant action getting in on the action. And with the redox reaction involved, a lot of water is produced and the urination involves a full bladder.

But that is just my experience, so just a hypothesis.

Nemo

Thanks.

That makes my suspicion that foam is a sign of inflammation stronger. The finer it gets, the more oxidative stress involved, and the more antioxidant action getting in on the action. And with the redox reaction involved, a lot of water is produced and the urination involves a full bladder.

But that is just my experience, so just a hypothesis.

Interesting hypothesis, yerrag.

gaze

there's two main causes of it. one is intestinal irritation messing up your bladder, and excess estrogen weakening the prostate. thyroid function helps both, but specifically having a good calcium:phosphate ratio, having good protein intake but not too much to take away from carbs, and clearing constipation are the best ways to tackle both

calvert79

Thank you so much. I'll give that a try. If I don't drink anything before bed I too still wake up 3-4 times to pee. I hardly drink any water at all actually.

Yes, thank you re the Tyromax, I ran a search and found threads on sources. I'm reticent to mess around with it. I've read that the dessicated thyroid can also have a similar benefit although there are threads about adrenals being mixed in...

This is interesting to me. When I get up to pee at night it's never a lot of pee and sometimes I have to actually help push it out... It's not a tiny amount but certainly not a full bladder like I experience after a couple of coffees in the morning. It's more like my body becomes aware I could go and then won't let me sleep until I go - almost like a habit.

Pretty sure my pee is not frothy. And it's usually pretty clear.

calvert79

there's two main causes of it. one is intestinal irritation messing up your bladder, and excess estrogen weakening the prostate. thyroid function helps both, but specifically having a good calcium:phosphate ratio, having good protein intake but not too much to take away from carbs, and clearing constipation are the best ways to tackle both
I am pretty constipated.

yerrag

Good to share our experiences this way, as we can gather what we each believe to be the causes based on individual experiences. It's better than getting answers from Google, which over time gets to resemble more and more the stock answers from conventional doctors. A visit to a doctor would often blame the prostate, for example. But it would never mention anything about estrogen.

I suppose it is related to thyroid when without thyroid, cholesterol doesn't get converted by the liver to pregnenolone, and progesterone, being a downstream hormone of pregnenolone, would be deficient, and the effects of estrogen won't be countered by progesterone. Still, why does high estrogen cause frequent urination?

Could you elaborate on why a good calcium phosphate ratio helps? Has this more to do with bladder control due to having good muscle tone from calcium's role in contraction and relaxation of muscle? If so, then potassium would have an equally significant role as potassium serves as a regulator of calcium influx into the cell.

But this matter would relate more to the problem of incontinence though.

gaze

Good to share our experiences this way, as we can gather what we each believe to be the causes based on individual experiences. It's better than getting answers from Google, which over time gets to resemble more and more the stock answers from conventional doctors. A visit to a doctor would often blame the prostate, for example. But it would never mention anything about estrogen.

I suppose it is related to thyroid when without thyroid, cholesterol doesn't get converted by the liver to pregnenolone, and progesterone, being a downstream hormone of pregnenolone, would be deficient, and the effects of estrogen won't be countered by progesterone. Still, why does high estrogen cause frequent urination?

Could you elaborate on why a good calcium phosphate ratio helps? Has this more to do with bladder control due to having good muscle tone from calcium's role in contraction and relaxation of muscle? If so, then potassium would have an equally significant role as potassium serves as a regulator of calcium influx into the cell.

But this matter would relate more to the problem of incontinence though.
im not sure about the exact mechanism, but estrogen is highly linked to prostate enlargement, inflammation, and cancer. Theres a good amount of research published about it. The weakened prostate then leads to thickening of the bladder walls through pressure and messes up its muscles to hold a certain amount of urine (I think). And going off that, I think excess phosphate is one of the greatest promoters of estrogen and cortisol, which is why i think calcium/phosphate ratio is important for lowering the prostate inflammation. I think magnesium would be more helpful than potassium, but potassium surely doesn't hurt. All the minerals are good.

yerrag

im not sure about the exact mechanism, but estrogen is highly linked to prostate enlargement, inflammation, and cancer. Theres a good amount of research published about it. The weakened prostate then leads to thickening of the bladder walls through pressure and messes up its muscles to hold a certain amount of urine (I think). And going off that, I think excess phosphate is one of the greatest promoters of estrogen and cortisol, which is why i think calcium/phosphate ratio is important for lowering the prostate inflammation. I think magnesium would be more helpful than potassium, but potassium surely doesn't hurt. All the minerals are good.

Thanks.

I just don't know how to draw the line between the diminishing of bladder control and frequent urination, and prostate issues seem more a matter of loss of bladder control that leads to frequent urination. But this invariably leads to some doctors and regular folks tending to point to prostate issues when the subject of frequent urination comes up.

I think though that bladder control is a valid cause of frequent urination, and it's a matter of being able to distinguish it from other causes. I've had the urge to urinate even when the bladder has little urine, and because I test my urine pH, I've seen increased frequency of urination with little urine when my urine pH is either very acidic or very alkaline. And it's happened with taking supplements that cause the ecf to be very acidic or very alkaline. It seems the body is in a hurry to get rid of the urine and so the urge happens even with a near empty bladder.

It was a lesson for me not to take bicarbonates even though it seemed healthy to do so, given the prevailing wisdom around us that alkaline is good, and that acid is bad. When my sugar metabolism is not off, and acid-base balance is fine, the adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rings true.

I was supplementing magnesium but believed the best form is the bicarbonate form, listening to Mark Sircus sing praises of it, and wondering for a long time why I was having issues with frequent urination. it took me 2 years before I stopped taking the. bicarb form. That is one detour on my road to be healthy that I laugh at myself for.

Last edited:

calvert79

Just to add a little to the conversation re bladder control from a woman's perspective. It dawned on me that my frequent urination at night might be to do with childbirthing and a general lack of strength down there. I've been doing kegel exercises and weighted ones at that and certainly noticed that I'm quite strong now so I ruled out that as a cause of it. I also think that's why I sometimes have to push urine out as my PC muscle is so well exercised. (Although I'm not sure now whether that's something to be concerned about.)

I'm throwing it out there in case it comes up for any other women worried about bladder control.

yerrag

Just to add a little to the conversation re bladder control from a woman's perspective. It dawned on me that my frequent urination at night might be to do with childbirthing and a general lack of strength down there. I've been doing kegel exercises and weighted ones at that and certainly noticed that I'm quite strong now so I ruled out that as a cause of it. I also think that's why I sometimes have to push urine out as my PC muscle is so well exercised. (Although I'm not sure now whether that's something to be concerned about.)

I'm throwing it out there in case it comes up for any other women worried about bladder control.
Good of you to mentions Kegels. Wouldn't Kegels also benefit men? I found an exercise I lifted from a book on Taoist exercises that has the effect of firming up the bladder muscles much like Kegels. If I focus on firming up the back muscle directly behind the navel, it seems for me to simultaneously firm up the bladder muscles. Try that and see if you feel the effect.

M

metabolizm

I sometimes have very tense pelvic floor muscles (I’m a man) and this often prevents me from urinating the full amount during the day. When I’m asleep at night, and all of my muscles finally begin to relax, I go to the toilet a few times to release the urine that should have been released before bed.

As long as I can avoid constipation, my pelvic floor is relatively relaxed throughout the day, and I won’t need to get up during the night to pee. (Constipation is not the only cause of an inflamed pelvic floor, however).

Might be something to consider.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jing

I had this problem for a few years about 2 months ago I had caverject injection to check blood flow to my penis that night I didn't wake up to pee and ever since I have only woken up twice lol don't know why or how.

Cuberunner

When I took benadryl at night I stopped having this issue as well as eating more carbs. Maybe an antihistamine like cypro or benadryl may help?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals