Advice On Ankylosing Spondylitis

I put 2 + 2 together and think this looks promising for Ankylosing Spondylitis...

"Ankylosing spondylitis is a form of reactive arthritis following Klebsiella infection, usually occurring in an HLA-B27-positive individual"

"Antibacterial effects of orange peel have also been demonstrated in the literature. Mehmood et al. (2015) showed potent antibacterial activity (against Enteric pathogens) of extract from Orange peels (4). Orange peel extract was also found to be effective against Klebsiella pneumonia by Akdemir (2015) (5)."

Gustav3Y

"Ankylosing spondylitis is a form of reactive arthritis following Klebsiella infection, usually occurring in an HLA-B27-positive individual"

Wasn't a cheap test, but as you know I did it, came negative.
Maybe I should test for Klebsiella antibodies anyway.

This is concerning.....

"The rare African studies reporting ESBL-producing K. pneumoniae in food products emanated from Benin and Sudan where ESBL-producing K. pneumoniae were detected in 5.77% of vegetables (Moussé et al., 2016) and 62% of raw milk (Badri et al., 2017), respectively.

In Cameroon, where antibiotics are used without restriction not only in the healthcare sector but also in the food production industry, the epidemiology of antibiotic resistant bacteria in food animals and associated public health implications is neglected. This study investigated the antibiotic resistance genes, virulence factors, MGEs and genetic lineages of circulating ESBL-producing K. pneumoniae strains isolated from pigs and exposed workers in Cameroonian abattoirs using whole genome sequencing (WGS), to ascertain zoonotic transmission (viz. from animals to humans and/or vice-versa) of ESBL-producing K. pneumoniae in the food chain."

"Based on the results of existing microbiological, molecular, and immunological studies, Klebsiella microbe seems to have a key role in the initiation and perpetuation of the pathological damage involving the gut and joint tissues in patients with CD. Six different gastroenterology centres in the UK have reported elevated levels of antibodies to Klebsiella in CD patients. There is a relationship between high intake of starch-containing diet, enhanced growth of gut microbes, and the production of pullulanases by Klebsiella. It is proposed that eradication of these microbes by the use of antibiotics and low starch diet, in addition to the currently used treatment, could help in alleviating or halting the disease process in CD."

"The large bowel in humans is described as a complex ecosystem, containing a large number of microbial species [58]. Although the composition of the colonic microbiota in adults is relatively stable, its concentration, however, can be manipulated by dietary means. For example, it has been reported that a high intake of carbohydrate, particularly oligosaccharides, can stimulate the growth of Bifidobacterium spp., Klebsiella spp., Clostridium spp., and Escherichia coli in the human colon [59].

Starches are one of the major carbohydrates available in the human colon. A considerable part of the consumed starchy food escapes digestion in the human small intestine and directly enters the large bowel. These starches that are not degraded in the small intestine and referred to as resistant starch can be used as substrate for bacterial fermentation [60].

It has been shown that up to 20% of the total starch materials consumed by normal individuals fail the absorption process when assessed by oral hydrogen excretion studies [61]. These starch materials are basically present in potatoes and wheat flour products such as pasta and bread (as shown in the lists below).

Recommended Diet for Crohn’s Disease and Ankylosing Spondylitis Patients

Decreased Intake of “High-Starch-Containing Foods”
(i)Flour and related products: breads, biscuits, cakes, puddings, pies, and popcorn.
(ii)Pasta products: macaronis, noodles, spaghetti, pizzas, and pastry.
(iii)Rice varieties: brown or white, boiled, fried, or in puddings.
(iv)Potatoes: baked, boiled, fried, roasted, or mashed potatoes."

"The total colony counts in the bacterial population of bifidobacteria, lactobacilli, streptococci, and enterbacteria species were found to be increased significantly in the caecum and faeces of a group of rats which have been fed resistant potato starch when compared to those rats taking a diet made of rapidly digestible waxy maize devoid of resistant starch [62].

In an in vitro study, it has been found that the mean number of Klebsiella was ten times higher when incubated with simple carbohydrate products such as sucrose, lactose, and glucose than with eleven different amino acids [63]. Furthermore, Klebsiella microbes do not seem to survive or grow on plant cellulose materials [64]. In a recent experimental study, rats which have been fed potato starch diet had higher colonic bacterial loads than those on cellulose only diet [65].

These results indicate that complex carbohydrates such as starch products are necessary for the growth, replication, and persistence of Klebsiella as well as other enterobacterial agents in the gut."

Gustav3Y

Or assume you have them and start eating orange peels to kill them?

Due to my ease of gut irritation and dermatitis causing effect of oranges and organ peels.
Actually I have never found orange juice for me to be more than an acute laxative or skin issues provider.

"Although no studies have yet been carried out on patients with CD in regard to the use of low-starch diet, clinical trials, however, have been carried out in AS patients with some encouraging results. In a longitudinal clinical study carried out on a group of patients with AS receiving low-starch diet, there was a significant drop in the erythrocyte sedimentation rate and total serum IgA by the end of the 9-month period of the study. Most of these patients have reported positive responses to the diet involving partial to complete recovery, ranging from disappearance of symptoms to a drop or even cessation in the intake of anti-inflammatory drugs [75]. From experience of recommending the low-starch diet in patients with AS for the last 3 decades and more recently in CD, it is concluded that normally it takes around six to eight months for the diet to show its effects [76].

It is plausible that a drop of the starch intake in the daily dietary consumption might reduce the bowel microflora by depleting the substrates necessary for enterobacterial growth. For example, reducing starch intake could stop the growth of Klebsiella, with a possibility of having beneficial effects on the disease outcome."

Due to my ease of gut irritation and dermatitis causing effect of oranges and organ peels.
Actually I have never found orange juice for me to be more than an acute laxative or skin issues provider.

Are you saying that orange juice help your skin issues?

"It is concluded that Klebsiella has a pivotal role in the aetiopathogenesis of CD, as evidenced by enhanced anti-Klebsiella immune responses and significant cross-reactivity and cytotoxic reactions. Low-starch diet could help in the eradication of Klebsiella in the bowel and, hence, decreasing the disease activity and progress with eventual halt or regression of the pathological process in patients with CD and AS."

No, worsens everything.
I get bad gut, immediate need to defecate, loose stool, bad skin on it (dermatitis aggravation, redness).

Maybe you have an allergy to oranges? I know that oranges are high in histamines. They give me some sinus trouble if I drink too much orange juice or drink it too late inbthe evening.

Gustav3Y

I've tried it at different hours, different sources, different doses, matching it with different foods, there results are the same, so I have not bothered with it anymore.

This site had people posting really good suggestions for AS pain relief!

"Hi - I seem to have been very lucky. I have had AS for about 15 years with all the stiffness and pain that I read in the above blogs. Mine has gone totally into remission since I started taking two shots of organic apple cider vinegar every day. It tastes disgusting but I knock it down with a large glass of water.

No more pain.

Its all gone.

Maybe Ive been very lucky and I had something strange in my body but it has been quite remarkable. I call it my miracle cure.

Try it - I hope it worlks for you guys.

Posted by: John M | 28 February 2015 at 04:56 AM

John, I am intrigued! How much apple cider in a shot? Two shots at once or is this morning and night? I'm going to try this right away. I just googled it and found the idea came from Margaret Hills, who says that inflammation is basically acidic, and by alkalising the body one neutralises the inflammation. Thank you so much for sharing your experience, and whether it works for any of the rest of us, I'm really glad you have found something to deal with all that pain you had.. Cheers! Asphyxia"

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals