Advice On Ankylosing Spondylitis

hyrax

I was diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis a few years ago. Since there is no known cure to mainstream medicine I'm looking at any possible new ways of thinking that might help me.

I was wondering if Ray Peat had anything to say, ever, about this condition and what advice he might have.

I've looked up a little about what he says on autoimmunity and am still researching that, but was curious if he ever had any advice about ankylosing spondylitis in particular (there are some theories that it's not even autoimmune; not sure which way I lean right now on the various theories).

Lilac

Ray mentions ankylosing spondylitis in the article linked below. (There is a search engine at his site.) These words on arthritis may be helpful, considering that Ray sees the generalities in the degenerative diseases.

• ARTHRITIS AND NATURAL HORMONES

• A very healthy 71 year-old man was under his house repairing the foundation, when a support slipped and let the house fall far enough to break some facial bones. During his recovery, he developed arthritis in his hands. It is fairly common for arthritis to appear shortly after an accident, a shock, or surgery, and Han Selye's famous work with rats shows that when stress exhausts the adrenal glands (so they are unable to produce normal amounts of cortisone and related steroid hormones), arthritis and other "degenerative" diseases are likely to develop.

• But when this man went to his doctor to "get something for his arthritis," he was annoyed that the doctor insisted on giving him a complete physical exam, and wouldn't give him a shot of cortisone. The examination showed low thyroid function, and the doctor prescribed a supplement of thyroid extract, explaining that arthritis is one of the many symptoms of hypothyroidism. The patient agreed to take the thyroid, but for several days he grumbled about the doctor 'fixing something that wasn't wrong' with him, and ignoring his arthritis. But in less than two weeks, the arthritis had entirely disappeared. He lived to be 89, without a recurrence of arthritis. (He died iatrogenically, while in good health.) ...
According to the Physicians' Desk Reference, hormones similar to cortisone are useful for treating rheumatoid arthritis, post-traumatic osteoarthritis, synovitis of osteoarthritis, acute gouty arthritis, acute nonspecific tenosynovitis, psoriatic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, acute and subacute bursitis, and epicondylitis.

Last edited:

Carrum

I never understood why people with this condition are usually infected with a bacteria named Klebsiella pneumoniae in their.. guts.
There have been reports that the viruses of... | Ray Peat Forum
I had a spate of health problems for several years that were all related to my digestive system. One of these was a klebsiella problem. The klebsiella caused my lower back to be really stiff. I had to lay in very warm water every morning to help loosen my back so I could get myself ready for work. I was told that the klebsiella problem was caused by eating starchy foods. I wasn't eating any grain products but I was eating potatoes so I cut them out and my back became much more supple within just a few days. I started eating potatoes again about 2 years ago and have had no problems with klebsiella. I never eat them cold and they are always well cooked.

Adnada

On an exercise note, I recommend Foundation Training. It actually lengthens the spine and creates more space in between vertebrates which would lessen pain.

I was diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis a few years ago. Since there is no known cure to mainstream medicine I'm looking at any possible new ways of thinking that might help me.

I was wondering if Ray Peat had anything to say, ever, about this condition and what advice he might have.

I've looked up a little about what he says on autoimmunity and am still researching that, but was curious if he ever had any advice about ankylosing spondylitis in particular (there are some theories that it's not even autoimmune; not sure which way I lean right now on the various theories).

How are you doing 3+ years later. I am doing a lot of reading on this subject thinking my husband might have something like this as a adverse reaction to a tetanus shot in August of 2020.

Birdie

How are you doing 3+ years later. I am doing a lot of reading on this subject thinking my husband might have something like this as a adverse reaction to a tetanus shot in August of 2020.
Rinse & rePeat - Sadly, she only ever had that one post. If you put your cursor on the spot with the H on it, above her name, it will show the last date she was here.

Rinse & rePeat - Sadly, she only ever had that one post. If you put your cursor on the spot with the H on it, above her name, it will show the last date she was here.

Well I am happy to revilve this thread anyway rather than have to make my own.

Birdie

Well I am happy to revilve this thread anyway rather than have to make my own.
I (later) thought of that might be your reason! And I agree it's a needed subject and a worthy one. :):

Birdie

And I agree with the feeling of skipping a new thread when there is one to revive. It's getting hard to find things with so many threads. But so it goes. Happy to be here.

And I agree with the feeling of skipping a new thread when there is one to revive. It's getting hard to find things with so many threads. But so it goes. Happy to be here.

I am so glad you said that because I think people must think I am obsessed with my threads, posting Ray Peat quotes on them constantly. I just like things in order where I can easily find them later. I think my "Ingredients Checker" post is more to the same point, now not needing a whole new post just to ask a question about ingredients.

Birdie

I wonder if you know someone with Ankylosing Spondylitis. I knew someone with it. He lived in Malibu in a house belonging to his son. He was a wonderful man who strongly believed chiropractic manipulation would help him. And he said it did. I saw his before and after X-rays and had to admit I could see his progress there. But this was long ago and I've not kept track of him.

I wonder if you know someone with Ankylosing Spondylitis. I knew someone with it. He lived in Malibu in a house belonging to his son. He was a wonderful man who strongly believed chiropractic manipulation would help him. And he said it did. I saw his before and after X-rays and had to admit I could see his progress there. But this was long ago and I've not kept track of him.

My husband has been having a lot of unusual pain in different parts of his body since getting a tetanus shot in August 2020, and early on ankle spondylosis seemed to fit what was going on. Though x-rays ruled out bone issues I can't help but think that the condition being an autoimmune disorder may be the root of more people's pain problems than they know, and I want to know more.

Birdie

My husband has been having a lot of unusual pain in different parts of his body since getting a tetanus shot in August 2020, and early on ankle spondylosis seemed to fit what was going on. Though x-rays ruled out bone issues I can't help but think that the condition being an autoimmune disorder may be the root of more people's pain problems than they know, and I want to know more.
Yes, I love your attitude. It's a lot of work but as you keep at it, will be very interesting and be helpful to your husband. I know I'm constantly reading threads to get help for mine. Take care.

Yes, I love your attitude. It's a lot of work but as you keep at it, will be very interesting and be helpful to your husband. I know I'm constantly reading threads to get help for mine. Take care.

Thanks birdie :)

miquelangeles

A family member got diagnosed today. She is 40 and had her pfizer shot in May. Can't help but wonder whether it is related.
A month later she started having mysterious symptoms on and off which she and her drs blamed on stress. In addition to other "benign" things they found ankylosing spondylitis during an abdominal CT scan. I want to do some research for her. Have you found any interesting resources, I'd be grateful.

A family member got diagnosed today. She is 40 and had her pfizer shot in May. Can't help but wonder whether it is related.
A month later she started having mysterious symptoms on and off which she and her drs blamed on stress. In addition to other "benign" things they found ankylosing spondylitis during an abdominal CT scan. I want to do some research for her. Have you found any interesting resources, I'd be grateful.

The first time I ever heard of it was on a reading that it has been reported as a rare side effect of the tetanus vaccine, which my husband had in August of last year and weird symptoms cropped up shortly after. He has various places where muscles have licked up, he is really highly reactive now to glutimates whichbgives stomach pain for many days, he also has fatigue and gets full really easily. He had a backbx-ray which looked health, so his seems to be muscle and digestive related. He is going in for a thyroid test and i am hoping to get him some supplemental thyroid. This RP quote gave me a lead, otherwise I haven't found anything else promising yet, but I will be sure to most more here if I do find something. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of things to help our loved ones.

Rigor mortis is an extreme state of fatigue, or energy depletion. Early muscle studies described the phenomenon of "fatigue contracture," in which the muscle, when it reaches the point at which it stops responding to stimulation, is maximally contracted (this has also been called delayed relaxation). Ischemic contracture, in the absence of blood circulation, occurs when the muscle's glycogen is depleted, so that ATP can no longer be produced anaerobically (Kingsley, et al., 1991). The delayed relaxation of hypothyroid muscle is another situation in which it is clear that ATP is required for relaxation. (In the Achilles tendon reflex test, the relaxation rate is visibly slowed in hypothyroidism.) A delayed T wave in the electrocardiogram, and the diastolic contracture of the failing heart show the same process of delayed relaxation. Supplementing the active thyroid hormone, T3, can quickly restore the normal rate of relaxation, and its beneficial effects have been demonstrated in heart failure (Pingitore, et al., 2008; Wang, et al., 2006; Pantos, et al., 2007; Galli, et al., 2008)." -Ray Peat

He also thought one session of "beemer therapy" helped. It is an everyday therapy so he rented a beemer mat, for $300 a month, and it will arrive this Saturday so I am hoping that will make a bigger difference doing it everyday.

As far as diet goes, avoidance of high glutamate foods and all starches and grains has kept pain and digestive issues from being at it worst, while adding in MSM, fresh squeezed orange juice (with added baking soda) and progesterone throughout the day and at bedtime, has made the biggest difference in easing his back pain so far. Epsom salt soak has been a short term pain reliever too.

Last edited: