Vitiligo - What's the Bio-Energetic view on this strange autoimmune condition??

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Hi Blossom, Have you tried slathering yourself with some hydrogenated coconut oil + lanolin? Also, I recently listened to a Ray Peat interview where he says that as people age their skin becomes deficient in cholesterol and he suggested applying it topically.

It's this video, but not queued to exactly the right spot:

View: https://youtu.be/5j-SodZE6C8?t=745

Thank you for the great ideas! I do have some lanolin on hand so I’ll get some hydrogenated coconut oil and try the combination. I believe life giving store sells cholesterol powder so I’ll check into that as well. You’d think with all the cholesterol in my bloodstream I’d have enough in my skin but it seems it’s not the only substance that doesn’t go to the areas you want it to be in middle age! Lol

OP
BigShoes

BigShoes

Very interesting talk @mostlylurking - thanks for the idea.

I also found it interesting that Dr Peat is (politely) disparaging of vitamin C supplements in this talk that you linked... I had actually read that vitamin C can be useful in encouraging melanin production (I had also been pretty encouraged by Linus Pauling's research on vitamin C and improving / preventing CVD), so was initially surprised that Dr Peat did not recommend it.

OP
BigShoes

BigShoes

I also found this very interesting too:

I have been suspecting recently that I may have an undetected bacterial infection in the gut that has been messing me up for years... but am a little hesitant to use doxycyclines. I have been trying carrots and mushrooms etc., but don't seem to notice much difference in anything health-wise.

Maybe I should bite the bullet, but I have a concern that the more resistant bacteria may survive the doxycycline use, and then further re-grow over time - meaning that the more resistant (and presumably more dangerous) bacteria actually takes even more of a hold in the GI area. Unsure how to proceed, but am erring on the side of caution.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I was mistaken. Life Giving Store doesn’t carry cholesterol powder. It was Such Labs that had it at one point. I’ll try the hydrogenated coconut oil and lanolin for now and report back if it works for me. I only have a couple spots and looking back at pictures they seem slightly improved from last year.

mostlylurking

I also found it interesting that Dr Peat is (politely) disparaging of vitamin C supplements in this talk that you linked... I had actually read that vitamin C can be useful in encouraging melanin production (I had also been pretty encouraged by Linus Pauling's research on vitamin C and improving / preventing CVD), so was initially surprised that Dr Peat did not recommend it.
The vitamin C available today is not made the same way as it was during Linus Pauling's time. Ray Peat has been consistent in his position on vitamin C supplements.

Go here and search for "ascorbic acid" or "ascorbate"; "vitamin C" will give you everything with the word "vitamin" in it.

This one is classic Peat:

View: https://youtu.be/2QpUJ8NidnE?t=1149

Maybe I should bite the bullet, but I have a concern that the more resistant bacteria may survive the doxycycline use, and then further re-grow over time - meaning that the more resistant (and presumably more dangerous) bacteria actually takes even more of a hold in the GI area. Unsure how to proceed, but am erring on the side of caution.
Before you go down that road, here's some suggested reading:

I’ll try the hydrogenated coconut oil and lanolin for now and report back if it works for me. I only have a couple spots and looking back at pictures they seem slightly improved from last year.
Give it a try; I don't think there's a downside to it. I've been using hydrogenated coconut oil on my face for around 5 years; before then, I used regular coconut oil for at least 20 years. I like the hydrogenated better than the regular.

frannybananny

Thank you for the great ideas! I do have some lanolin on hand so I’ll get some hydrogenated coconut oil and try the combination. I believe life giving store sells cholesterol powder so I’ll check into that as well. You’d think with all the cholesterol in my bloodstream I’d have enough in my skin but it seems it’s not the only substance that doesn’t go to the areas you want it to be in middle age! Lol
Do you think the rapamyacin is having any effect on your skin? I see that the tacromilus cream that @BigShoes was mentioning is similar to the rapa in that it is an immunosuppressant for people who have had organ transplants. Have you thought of grinding up some of the rapa, mixing it with lanolin or the coconut oil and applying it topically? How is your rapa journey coming along?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Do you think the rapamyacin is having any effect on your skin? I see that the tacromilus cream that @BigShoes was mentioning is similar to the rapa in that it is an immunosuppressant for people who have had organ transplants. Have you thought of grinding up some of the rapa, mixing it with lanolin or the coconut oil and applying it topically? How is your rapa journey coming along?
It could be. It’s been 6.5 months and going well. I basically just feel pretty good most days now and not like I’m struggling. My skin might be slightly better but it’s hard to judge since I see myself every day. I don’t notice new signs of aging but I don’t think there’s a noticeable reversal either. I’m happy with holding steady though. I have made a topical rapamycin spray and mixed some in skin cream which I’m using right now. The biggest improvements are better energy level and sleep, more stress resistant, tolerate a wider range of foods without GI issues and better oral health which I thought was fine already. I started lifting weights recently too because I feel good and motivated to increase my strength which I think is crucial for aging well. I’m planning on updating my experience in the rapamycin thread with possibly some before/after pictures and body composition comparisons from my smart scale when we get back from vacation which will be the second week in July and people can judge for themselves. It doesn’t seem miraculous or anything (like with my dog) but definitely helpful overall.

frannybananny

It could be. It’s been 6.5 months and going well. I basically just feel pretty good most days now and not like I’m struggling. My skin might be slightly better but it’s hard to judge since I see myself every day. I don’t notice new signs of aging but I don’t think there’s a noticeable reversal either. I’m happy with holding steady though. I have made a topical rapamycin spray and mixed some in skin cream which I’m using right now. The biggest improvements are better energy level and sleep, more stress resistant, tolerate a wider range of foods without GI issues and better oral health which I thought was fine already. I started lifting weights recently too because I feel good and motivated to increase my strength which I think is crucial for aging well. I’m planning on updating my experience in the rapamycin thread with possibly some before/after pictures and body composition comparisons from my smart scale when we get back from vacation which will be the second week in July and people can judge for themselves. It doesn’t seem miraculous or anything (like with my dog) but definitely helpful overall.
Thanks for your quick reply Blossom! Wow....lifting weights! The whole experience sounds fascinating and especially mixing the rapa spray into your skin cream. I've been thinking about adding a drop or two of MB to my homemade hyaluronic acid gel.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thanks for your quick reply Blossom! Wow....lifting weights! The whole experience sounds fascinating and especially mixing the rapa spray into your skin cream. I've been thinking about adding a drop or two of MB to my homemade hyaluronic acid gel.
Topical MB is great. I put 1 500mcg drop per ounce in my lotion and love it!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Topical MB is great. I put 1 500mcg drop per ounce in my lotion and love it!

cs3000

@BigShoes
oxidative stress is killing your melanocytes i think, and yeah bioenergetically thats generated through mitochondria dysfunction . where ATP levels are lower in the melanocytes. over time the mtDNA mutates , ROS generation gets out of control and the cell dies or loses function

so you'd want to target:
. things that help restore complex 1 activity , "In particular, we described a constitutive activation of antioxidant enzyme genes and defects in mitochondrial metabolism, reflected in an altered expression and activity of complex I, increased generation of reactive oxygen species, low ATP production"
e.g riboflavin
. things that protect/stabalize cardiolipin to restore the mitochondria function, "cardiolipin stabilization by MTP-131 recovered the energetic profle, mitochondrial structural and functional parameters, confrming that the impairment and metabolic defects observed in vitiligo melanocytes were due to the initial ETC defects"

quercetin + folic acid combo has good potential to work for the Vitiligo

+ quercetin upregulates tyrosinase enzyme / boosts melanin in human melanocytes as well as the protection boosting survival
+ it increases complex I activity
+ it inhibits JAK which is a mechanism targetted for vitiligo

and "low" doses its anti estrogen. ~ 100mg would be needed probably but idk might work lower. 100mg is getting to high dose
would watch for if copper & iron levels lower over time if it works, as doses at least in 100s of milligrams crashes them. and better to stop taking when ill as inhibits t cells

Last edited:
OP
BigShoes

BigShoes

@cs3000 - thanks so much for this. This was awesome.

And what of reductive stress? REDOX balance?

I guess: riboflavin, quercetin, but also maybe: di-palmitoyl-phosphatidyl-choline and di-stearoyl-phosphatidyl-choline

Additionally, I just found this, which could be interesting @Blossom and others: Neural and Endocrinal Pathobiochemistry of Vitiligo: Comparative Study for a Hypothesized Mechanism :

VariablesControl group (n = 40)Vitiligo group (n = 60)
Control group (n = 40)Stable Vitiligo PatientsActive Vitiligo Patients
Male (n = 15)Female (n = 25)Total (n = 40)Male (n = 10)Female (n = 15)Total (n = 25)Male (n = 15)Female (n = 20)Total (n = 35)
Epinephrine (pmol/L)350 ± 3.5301.6 ± 2.08319.7 ± 4.17396.2 ± 3.77379.2 ± 1.32 (NS)386 ± 2.37***647.7 ± 2.89588 ± 4.62613.5 ± 5.83***, ###
Norepinephrine (nmol/L)2157 ± 23.221920 ± 21.592009 ± 24.262385 ± 31.532288 ± 12.16 (NS)2327 ± 17.20***3007 ± 23.602718 ± 16.012842 ± 27.94***, ###
Dopamine (pmol/L)208.6 ± 2.17179.6 ± 1.70190.5 ± 2.60528.1 ± 4.55496.1 ± 8.34508.9 ± 6.14***570.5 ± 3.01504.3 ± 4.65a532.7 ± 6.33***, ##
HVA (ng/mL)9.73 ± 0.397.92 ± 0.27 (NS)8.60 ± 0.2624.10 ± 0.6021.93 ± 0.56 (NS)22.80 ± 0.46***31.27 ± 1.2125.05 ± 1.02a27.71 ± 0.93***, ###
Serotonin (ng/mL)24.93 ± 0.7334.16 ± 0.7530.70 ± 0.8955.10 ± 1.2164.93 ± 0.9461.0 ± 1.22***74.53 ± 1.6183.65 ± 1.1579.74 ± 1.21***, ###
5-HIAA (ng/mL)4.33 ± 0.156.0 ± 0.26 (NS)5.37 ± 0.218.30 ± 0.519.80 ± 0.48 (NS)9.20 ± 0.83***10.60 ± 0.51a12.30 ± 0.31 (NS)11.57 ± 0.31***, ###
Melatonin (ng/mL)1.46 ± 0.082.46 ± 0.05 (NS)2.09 ± 0.084.90 ± 0.236.86 ± 0.446.08 ± 0.34***7.0 ± 0.328.65 ± 0.437.94 ± 0.31***, ###

Control Group - no vitiligo
SVP - Stabilized Vitiligo (patients with vitiligo but no noticeable progression of patches
AVP - Active Vitiligo (patients with vitiligo that is progression)

The table is a little hard to format, but basically, for a tonne of inflmmatory / "bad" hormones that we don't want elevated:

Active Vitiligo Patient Hormone levels > (greater than) Stabilized Vitiligo Patient Hormone Levels > (greater than) Control Group Hormone Levels

True for: Epinephrine, Norepinephrine, (weirdly) Dopamine and its metabolites, Serotonin is sky high in AVP. too

No doubt it is associated with stressed metabolism and poor metabolic function / mitochondrial dysfunction. I guess

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@cs3000 - thanks so much for this. This was awesome.

And what of reductive stress? REDOX balance?

I guess: riboflavin, quercetin, but also maybe: di-palmitoyl-phosphatidyl-choline and di-stearoyl-phosphatidyl-choline

Additionally, I just found this, which could be interesting @Blossom and others: Neural and Endocrinal Pathobiochemistry of Vitiligo: Comparative Study for a Hypothesized Mechanism :

VariablesControl group (n = 40)Vitiligo group (n = 60)
Control group (n = 40)Stable Vitiligo PatientsActive Vitiligo Patients
Male (n = 15)Female (n = 25)Total (n = 40)Male (n = 10)Female (n = 15)Total (n = 25)Male (n = 15)Female (n = 20)Total (n = 35)
Epinephrine (pmol/L)350 ± 3.5301.6 ± 2.08319.7 ± 4.17396.2 ± 3.77379.2 ± 1.32 (NS)386 ± 2.37***647.7 ± 2.89588 ± 4.62613.5 ± 5.83***, ###
Norepinephrine (nmol/L)2157 ± 23.221920 ± 21.592009 ± 24.262385 ± 31.532288 ± 12.16 (NS)2327 ± 17.20***3007 ± 23.602718 ± 16.012842 ± 27.94***, ###
Dopamine (pmol/L)208.6 ± 2.17179.6 ± 1.70190.5 ± 2.60528.1 ± 4.55496.1 ± 8.34508.9 ± 6.14***570.5 ± 3.01504.3 ± 4.65a532.7 ± 6.33***, ##
HVA (ng/mL)9.73 ± 0.397.92 ± 0.27 (NS)8.60 ± 0.2624.10 ± 0.6021.93 ± 0.56 (NS)22.80 ± 0.46***31.27 ± 1.2125.05 ± 1.02a27.71 ± 0.93***, ###
Serotonin (ng/mL)24.93 ± 0.7334.16 ± 0.7530.70 ± 0.8955.10 ± 1.2164.93 ± 0.9461.0 ± 1.22***74.53 ± 1.6183.65 ± 1.1579.74 ± 1.21***, ###
5-HIAA (ng/mL)4.33 ± 0.156.0 ± 0.26 (NS)5.37 ± 0.218.30 ± 0.519.80 ± 0.48 (NS)9.20 ± 0.83***10.60 ± 0.51a12.30 ± 0.31 (NS)11.57 ± 0.31***, ###
Melatonin (ng/mL)1.46 ± 0.082.46 ± 0.05 (NS)2.09 ± 0.084.90 ± 0.236.86 ± 0.446.08 ± 0.34***7.0 ± 0.328.65 ± 0.437.94 ± 0.31***, ###

Control Group - no vitiligo
SVP - Stabilized Vitiligo (patients with vitiligo but no noticeable progression of patches
AVP - Active Vitiligo (patients with vitiligo that is progression)

The table is a little hard to format, but basically, for a tonne of inflmmatory / "bad" hormones that we don't want elevated:

Active Vitiligo Patient Hormone levels > (greater than) Stabilized Vitiligo Patient Hormone Levels > (greater than) Control Group Hormone Levels

True for: Epinephrine, Norepinephrine, (weirdly) Dopamine and its metabolites, Serotonin is sky high in AVP. too

No doubt it is associated with stressed metabolism and poor metabolic function / mitochondrial dysfunction. I guess
That's a great find and fits my personal history. I suppose I'd consider myself at least in the stabilized category at this point. That darned stress surfaces as a major culprit once again.

Nebula

I know this is an annoying reply but I am contractually obligated to remind you nobody cares what you're doing or what you look like, and even if they do (they don't), it's their problem, not yours.

N.B. ☞ If you feel attraction to more emotional explanations of GNM you could try reading psychoanalysis or similar directly, e.g., Object relations theory - Wikipedia
This was a huge relief to finally realize as an adult. Absolutely nobody except for very deranged people think twice about some blemish on a person. People respond to your energy more than anything.
That's a great find and fits my personal history. I suppose I'd consider myself at least in the stabilized category at this point. That darned stress surfaces as a major culprit once again.
When did your vitiligo first start developing? Mine was right after puberty began. Really only active from 13-14 or so then completely stabilized and now 20 years later I'm seeing the first repigmentation with tacrolimus. Isn't a prevailing theory something involving about nervous system dysfunction? As lesions often form along certain nerves. Either symmetrical or on both sides of the body or all on one side. Puberty seems to be the most common trigger. So my theory is generationally imprinted stress adaptions might cause some kind of immune overreaction during an organisms first growth spurts when it is at its most sensitive state. Maybe why nutrition therapies don't do much at least not in one generation. There's a deep imprint at play.

OP
BigShoes

BigShoes

@Nebula I know you asked Blossom, and I've already partially shared mine, but something I also just thought about:

I got a "halo nevus" on one very small mole I used to have on my underarm when I was in my teens ... I can't remember when, probably about 13. I remember thinking it was weird - the mole eventually totally went away, and the halo nevus also somewhat dissipated - I forgot all about it for *years*.

All of that is to say, whilst I first noticed things at 18-19, and the main rush of onset was around then, perhaps the writing was on the wall much earlier, as you mentioned, right after puberty began.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@Nebula, for me it was just 3 years ago during covid. I had one of the worst jobs a person could have during that time as a respiratory therapist but not for the reasons you’d suspect. It was very difficult to realize how alone I was in my views of the situation and that literally no one I worked with could see through it all to the reality of the situation. I’m sure my stress hormones were off the charts despite my lifestyle. It was maddening for me in a way I can’t put into words. I’m certain I’m still recovering from that nightmare. I guess the positive side was that I was able to help get some people off ventilators.

OP
BigShoes

BigShoes

Hi @Blossom - this makes me so sad. I was also shocked at just how few people around me could see through it all - feeling like I was the only person who could see it was probably 10x worse than what was actually going on.

Looking back, it's unsurprising that I experienced a significant worsening of my health in that time. But I have to be thankful that the ill-health was what led me to find this place, and all you guys, and slowly learning a new framework and orientation for true health. I am still in the abyss (slightly overly dramatic ;) ) but do see a light.

Still though, I'm very sad that you experienced that. You're awesome for pushing on, and for continuing to help all those people through the madness of it all.

frannybananny

@BigShoes
oxidative stress is killing your melanocytes i think, and yeah bioenergetically thats generated through mitochondria dysfunction . where ATP levels are lower in the melanocytes. over time the mtDNA mutates , ROS generation gets out of control and the cell dies or loses function

so you'd want to target:
. things that help restore complex 1 activity , "In particular, we described a constitutive activation of antioxidant enzyme genes and defects in mitochondrial metabolism, reflected in an altered expression and activity of complex I, increased generation of reactive oxygen species, low ATP production"
e.g riboflavin
. things that protect/stabalize cardiolipin to restore the mitochondria function, "cardiolipin stabilization by MTP-131 recovered the energetic profle, mitochondrial structural and functional parameters, confrming that the impairment and metabolic defects observed in vitiligo melanocytes were due to the initial ETC defects"

quercetin + folic acid combo has good potential to work for the Vitiligo

+ quercetin upregulates tyrosinase enzyme / boosts melanin in human melanocytes as well as the protection boosting survival
+ it increases complex I activity
+ it inhibits JAK which is a mechanism targetted for vitiligo

and "low" doses its anti estrogen. ~ 100mg would be needed probably but idk might work lower. 100mg is getting to high dose
would watch for if copper & iron levels lower over time if it works, as doses at least in 100s of milligrams crashes them. and better to stop taking when ill as inhibits t cells
I wonder if quercitin might affect conditions opposite of vitiligo, namely more freckles and odd brown splotches popping up on arms. Perhaps that is just sun damage from younger years but something has exacerbated this condition and no amount of zinc sunscreen can prevent more from coming up. Ideas anyone? I have the Heliocare + nicotinamide that my Derm recomended but it just keeps me awake at night.

Peatress

@Nebula, for me it was just 3 years ago during covid. I had one of the worst jobs a person could have during that time as a respiratory therapist but not for the reasons you’d suspect. It was very difficult to realize how alone I was in my views of the situation and that literally no one I worked with could see through it all to the reality of the situation. I’m sure my stress hormones were off the charts despite my lifestyle. It was maddening for me in a way I can’t put into words. I’m certain I’m still recovering from that nightmare. I guess the positive side was that I was able to help get some people off ventilators.
I can't image this level of stress - I really don't know how you coped.

frannybananny

I can't image this level of stress - I really don't know how you coped.
I don't know how she coped either! Except she is our Blossom and obviously an exceptional person who presents an inspirational and strong example for all of us. ♥

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals