Pregnant!

HDD

I posted this in a different thread a while ago.

I think this information from the WAP site is quite telling. It seems the Nigerian mothers who do not consume omega-3 have the highest percentage of antimicrobial fatty acids.

http://www.westonaprice.org/health-topi ... uman-milk/
The elongated omega-3 fatty acids found in fish oils are also found in the milk of healthy, properly fed mothers, and especially mothers who consume fish and/or fish oils.

Some mothers can make these elongated omega-3 fatty acids from the shorter omega-3 fatty acids. When there is none of the shorter omega-3 (alpha-linolenic acid 18:3) in the mother’s diet, as has been recorded in some Nigerian mothers, the amounts of lauric acid and capric acid are very high, making up close to a third of the total fatty acids. This appears to be nature’s way of helping to protect the infant from infections and also helping to conserve the important elongated omega-3 fatty acids. There have been animal studies showing that there were adequate elongated omega-3 fatty acids in the tissues even when no omega-3 was present in the diet as long as the fat that was in the diet was coconut oil. Coconut oil is rich in lauric acid.

The average amount of antimicrobial fatty acids, particularly lauric acid and capric acid, found in the milk of lactating mothers around the world is not usually as high as that reported in Nigeria, but amounts as low as 2 percent and as high as 20 percent have been reported. French mothers average 6 percent with ranges of 2-12 percent. Japanese mothers are reported to produce up to 9 percent lauric and capric acids. Studies in the US showed that diabetic mothers have very low levels, around 2 percent, but mothers with cystic fibrosis have about 8 percent. Adding coconut oil to the diet of lactating mothers raised the levels of lauric and capric acid to about 20 percent.

PeatInspired

Forum Supporter
So I'm going to be trying to conceive in a few months (yay!)- I am wondering if taking niacinamide during pregnancy is considered safe and how much? I currently take quite a bit. I see really low doses recommended (20-30mg) in a general pregnancy & b3 google search.

I'm planning to take:
*Pregnenalone (unsure of what dosage yet)
*Magnesium glycinate
*folate
*d3
*k2
*dhea/progest-e mixture (peat recommended for pelvic organ prolapse)
*maybe vit A?
*And my "Thiroyd" supplement

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Constatine

So I'm going to be trying to conceive in a few months (yay!)- I am wondering if taking niacinamide during pregnancy is considered safe and how much? I currently take quite a bit. I see really low doses recommended (20-30mg) in a general pregnancy & b3 google search.

I'm planning to take:
*Magnesium glycinate
*folate
*d3
*k2
*maybe vit A?

Any thoughts? Thanks!
Just don't take high doses of anything while pregnant. Instead of focusing on supplements I would focus on living a healthy outdoorsy lifestyle (as much as possible) in the sun while pregnant. Maybe try grounding or earthing as it has a lot of scientific literature to back it up and is by far the safest thing for thyroid health (yes surprisingly grounding increases thyroid). Try getting your vitamins from food as oral supplements are a little sketchy while pregnant.

PeatInspired

Forum Supporter
Yep, I will be avoiding mega doses. I just want to make sure I've got at least a little of that stuff since my diet isn't always perfect.

Constatine

Yep, I will be avoiding mega doses. I just want to make sure I've got at least a little of that stuff since my diet isn't always perfect.
Small doses shouldn't be harmful. Your baby has such an advantage over us, he/she will have been peating from the start. :)

Peata

I'm planning to take:
*Magnesium glycinate
*folate
*d3
*k2
*maybe vit A?

Any thoughts? Thanks!
Are you waiting a few months to build up your nutrition/prepare for pregnancy? Are you taking those supplements listed, and how much of each one?

sladerunner69

Hello there all you lovely, intelligent folks!

I just found out that I'm pregnant...despite having taken emergency contraception.

I will not be having an abortion.

So I need some advice...should I change anything given my current situation?

I was doing a little bit more aspirin than usual (making sure to get vitamin K - I was eating kale,) because I thought it might help get the estrogen from the MAP (morning after pill) out of my system...but now that I'm pregnant...I wonder if I should be doing anything different?

I've been slacking a bit on my raw carrot salad, but this is (mostly) what a typical day looks like for me (in chronological order):

Coffee concoction (coffee, gelatin, sugar, coconut oil, aspirin.)

Raw carrot salad (grated carrot, coconut oil, white vinegar, salt.)

Milk, cheese, grapes (other fruits as available/ripe,) OJ, potatoes and sometimes beef throughout the day and for dinner, too (unless I eat out, in which case I just try my best to avoid PUFA)

Seafood about 1x a week *I had sushi the other night, I've heard that's bad for pregnant women! Any validity in that...?

I have thought about emailing Dr. Peat but I can't afford to pay him right now and I'm not comfortable asking for advice without sending compensation...(I could ask boyfriend to pay, but he already thinks I'm a Peat nut...don't want to start another debate about saturated fat and sugar, ha.)

If anyone could steer me in the right direction about this, I will send you hugs through the internet :D

How did the little tike turn out? I think the people here are all interested in an update!

PeatInspired

Forum Supporter
Are you waiting a few months to build up your nutrition/prepare for pregnancy? Are you taking those supplements listed, and how much of each one?

We're just waiting for life timing/planning reasons and a little more freedom, lol. But yes, I'm also trying to be more consistent with what I'm taking/eating during this time.

Here's what I'm taking at the moment:
*Pregnenalone: 50mg/day
*Magnesium glycinate: 120-480mg
*folate: .5 mg of 5-mthf (Thorne)
*d3: 1 drop of Carlson liquid 4000iu on my wrist
*k2 : 1 drop/aspirin taken (I have 1-3 aspirin per day) I have the health natura true k liquid... I sometimes put it on my wrists and sometimes drink it in water. Not sure the best way to do it, haha.
*dhea/progest-e mixture (peat recommended for pelvic organ prolapse): a one inch thin line 2x per day during luteal phase
*maybe vit A? : 2 drops per day of nutrisorb
*And my "Thiroyd" supplement: half a tablet w/breakfast 1/2 tablet w/dinner bc (I don't recall how much t3 & t4 are contained in that dose)

Considering getting more of the vitamin b family there, since I hear to do best when taken together. Currently only taking b3 and folate.

I also take 2-6 tbsp of gelatin/day
And I have had reflux (LPR) and digestive issues this week- have been taking glycine 1142mg+ a day and 500mg of taurine. I'm also taking a bunch of HCl/Pepsin/Gentian Bitters... it's not ideal, but it works. Hope to phase that out.

I drink 1-4 cups of cold brew coffee per day, eat a carrot salad every other day (trying to increase).

Last edited:

Peata

We're just waiting for life timing/planning reasons and a little more freedom, lol. But yes, I'm also trying to be more consistent with what I'm taking/eating during this time.

*k2 : 1 drop/aspirin taken (I have 1-3 aspirin per day) I have the health natura true k liquid... I sometimes put it on my wrists and sometimes drink it in water. Not sure the best way to do it, haha.
*dhea/progest-e mixture (peat recommended for pelvic organ prolapse): a one inch thin line 2x per day during luteal phase
*And my "Thiroyd" supplement: half a tablet w/breakfast 1/2 tablet w/dinner bc (I don't recall how much t3 & t4 are contained in that dose)

Considering getting more of the vitamin b family there, since I hear to do best when taken together. Currently only taking b3 and folate.

And I have had reflux (LPR) and digestive issues this week- have been taking glycine 1142mg+ a day and 500mg of taurine. I'm also taking a bunch of HCl/Pepsin/Gentian Bitters... it's not ideal, but it works. Hope to phase that out.

I drink 1-4 cups of cold brew coffee per day, eat a carrot salad every other day (trying to increase).
Thanks for the reply. Interesting.

sladerunner69

Overall how do the supplements effect you? I have noticed I feel generally more content and have a better mood when I use less supps.

PeatInspired

Forum Supporter
Guh, just found out that dhea is not recommended during pregnancy. Don't do what I did! I was still using the progest-e/dhea mixture all the way through the first trimester. :arghh:

Use dhea w/progest-e up until pregnant and the discontinue.

o_O

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Guh, just found out that dhea is not recommended during pregnancy. Don't do what I did! I was still using the progest-e/dhea mixture all the way through the first trimester. :arghh:

Use dhea w/progest-e up until pregnant and the discontinue.

o_O
Did everything work out ok despite using dhea?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Did everything work out ok despite using dhea?
Oh sorry, I just saw in the other thread that you are still pregnant. I hope everything works out. Maybe you should email Ray and see if he knows anything about vaginal dhea in pregnancy.

PeatInspired

Forum Supporter
Oh sorry, I just saw in the other thread that you are still pregnant. I hope everything works out. Maybe you should email Ray and see if he knows anything about vaginal dhea in pregnancy.

I did- he said he knows it has been shown to help fertility, but he knows nothing about its use during pregnancy.

But women who takes it for fertility typically take 75mg per day, and I was taking waaaaay less- only micrograms per day. So I'm sure I'll be fine.

Last edited:

LUH 3417

Congratulations!!!!! :carrot :carrot2 :grouphug

I know you said you do not feel comfortable but I would email Ray Peat and then let us know what he says so that future mommies to be will have more information to.

These quotes do not answer your question directly but its what I could find with searching Ray Peats articles. It really looks like vitamin E is really important, progesterone of course, along with getting adequate protein, and everything else that is along the lines of Peating:

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

I would read this entire article below, its really good!!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=289&p=834&hilit=pregnant#p834

Source

Source

I would read the entire article below too:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=211&p=532&hilit=pregnant#p532

Source

Source

These are searches I did on "pregnant". Maybe if you did "pregnancy" that would turn up some.

And again, a big congrats to you! :hattip
Anyone have additional comments or experience with drinking coffee during pregnancy? Dr Brewer who RP references suggests avoiding it completely because it drains B vitamins. But that makes no sense since coffee itself contains B vitamins.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals