A Peat View Of Dextroamphetamine (Adderall, Dexedrine, Vyvanse)?

tyler

I took adderall for seven years. Reaching doses of over 120mg by the end of my time on the drug.
While I don't necessarily blame the drug itself for my metabolic/thyroid damage, I mostly blame the severe under-eating that was a side effect of taking it. Along with the insomnia and daily learned-helplessness style of depression I suffered from comedowns off of high doses.
I was wondering what Peat's views were of CNS stimulants like adderall, dexedrine, etc? Is it possible that they could have a beneficial effect on thyroid and metabolism? From what I understand, they stimulate the release of dopamine. Which is potentially beneficial in terms of metabolism? I definitely received a higher pulse rate and body temperature when taking it- and I find high doses of caffeine give me a very similar effect, albeit on a smaller scale.
Would be interested in anyone's experience or insight with these drugs, whether they benefited your health or hurt it.
It's been over two years since I've taken any, and I would say personally that the negative effects were far greater than the positives. That being said, I never experimented in small doses.

I took adderall for seven years. Reaching doses of over 120mg by the end of my time on the drug.
While I don't necessarily blame the drug itself for my metabolic/thyroid damage, I mostly blame the severe under-eating that was a side effect of taking it. Along with the insomnia and daily learned-helplessness style of depression I suffered from comedowns off of high doses.
I was wondering what Peat's views were of CNS stimulants like adderall, dexedrine, etc? Is it possible that they could have a beneficial effect on thyroid and metabolism? From what I understand, they stimulate the release of dopamine. Which is potentially beneficial in terms of metabolism? I definitely received a higher pulse rate and body temperature when taking it- and I find high doses of caffeine give me a very similar effect, albeit on a smaller scale.
Would be interested in anyone's experience or insight with these drugs, whether they benefited your health or hurt it.
It's been over two years since I've taken any, and I would say personally that the negative effects were far greater than the positives. That being said, I never experimented in small doses.

Ray has said that amphetamines effects are similar to estrogen effects. And that the benefit of increased alertness comes at an expense. I have not read anything where he's elaborated on this.

heartnhands

Thanks for your question . Just asked about how to balance peaty eating with any of the drugs metabolic effects. Glad you are beyond the depression. Looking forward to any information about these drugs developed by the members.

heartnhands

Try some tyrosine, it has some good effects.
Please explain what you may know about how by tyrosine's impact in opposition to the irritations of Vyvance. Thanks so much for any sources or thoughts you care to share.

heartnhands

Ray has said that amphetamines effects are similar to estrogen effects. And that the benefit of increased alertness comes at an expense. I have not read anything where he's elaborated on this.
Thanks for sharing the memory. If you have any sources so I might check the context, I'd be most grateful. Of course my intention is to optimize carbondioxide metabolism and hope the process will increase mental focus and physical energy. Thanks again.

Parsifal

Thanks for your question . Just asked about how to balance peaty eating with any of the drugs metabolic effects. Glad you are beyond the depression. Looking forward to any information about these drugs developed by the members.

I don't really know Vyvance and never tried it but some thyroid + coffee + tyrosine help me for ADHD symptoms.

heartnhands

I don't really know Vyvance and never tried it but some thyroid + coffee + tyrosine help me for ADHD symptoms.
Have used a few different thyroid meds. Currently on a generic Levothyrox. Liked using Cytomel Plus but haven't gotten beyond the pharma black out. Seems unbelievable that the product co. went bancrupt....considering all the patented drug reprising if I were more able I'd bet the Mex. CO. was purchased by a big co.and closed down. Anyway can you recamend another Peat praised thyroid med that is less expensive, or at least reasonable? Thanks for chiming in.

heartnhands

Have used a few different thyroid meds. Currently on a generic Levothyrox. Liked using Cytomel Plus but haven't gotten beyond the pharma black out. Seems unbelievable that the product co. went bancrupt....considering all the patented drug reprising if I were more able I'd bet the Mex. CO. was purchased by a big co.and closed down. Anyway can you recamend another Peat praised thyroid med that is less expensive, or at least reasonable? Thanks for chiming in.
Thanks, what is CNS?

DaveFoster

Hey Parsifal, are you still using l-tyrosine or have you found something better for ADHD?

Parsifal

Hey Parsifal, are you still using l-tyrosine or have you found something better for ADHD?

I have stopped the thyroid and tyrosine. Tyrosine often gave me a strange feeling in the throat, like a spasm or like if something was blocked even if it helped me with attention issues, was also sometimes triggering cold hands.
After a lot of different tests, I've noticed that thyroid did not help me in the way Ray said it would, and was even overstimulating even in small quantities and increasing adrenalin too much.

I am way calmer that I used to be when I wrote my previous message almost 1 year ago, no more (or very reduced) hyperactivity nor anxiety which is pretty new for me, I can go out in the street without feeling anxious/in danger which is the first time in my whole life, but I still can feel a bit of dissociation or mental fog/attention issues from times to times. My anhedonia improved as well.

The hyperactivity/anxiety (and also the attention issues) are definitely related to intestinal irritation in my case, I will look at my belly and see it is swollen or getting water retention (leaky gut/increased endotoxins absorption) when all my symptoms get worse. Dairy/fat/fibers are a no no for me for now (very hard lifestyle), but I am trying few things related to the gut lately, some of which are not really "Peat approved" with few interesting results but nothing spectacular to report yet (lacking money to go further in my experiments though for now).
Too much fluids will trigger anxiety/hyperactivity as well. I think I have a problem with water retention/leakiness and that basically leaky gut/inflammation/metabolism issues will lead to/are manifested by water retention in the brain/gut/bloo circulation (varicoceles?) Leakiness, aging, and cancer

I've noticed that urea and creatine can help me but it can also be constipating at higher dose. I rub it on my belly with some water when I noticed water retention and it reduces it. Nothing perfect and sometimes I sill feel quite bad, but I have not felt that good since years.

I've decided to stop school as well and to try to find an alternative lifestyle for me, I'm trying to build a business to avoid studying and working in this crazy society/system. That brings a bit of anxiety because I am not steady yet, but at least I want to try as much as I can while I still can. I think this is very important for healh.
“Today as always, men fall into two groups: slaves and free men. Whoever does not have two-thirds of his day for himself, is a slave, whatever he may be: a statesman, a businessman, an official, or a scholar.”
Friedrich Nietzsche

DaveFoster

I have stopped the thyroid and tyrosine. Tyrosine often gave me a strange feeling in the throat, like a spasm or like if something was blocked even if it helped me with attention issues, was also sometimes triggering cold hands.
After a lot of different tests, I've noticed that thyroid did not help me in the way Ray said it would, and was even overstimulating even in small quantities and increasing adrenalin too much.

I am way calmer that I used to be when I wrote my previous message almost 1 year ago, no more (or very reduced) hyperactivity nor anxiety which is pretty new for me, I can go out in the street without feeling anxious/in danger which is the first time in my whole life, but I still can feel a bit of dissociation or mental fog/attention issues from times to times. My anhedonia improved as well.

The hyperactivity/anxiety (and also the attention issues) are definitely related to intestinal irritation in my case, I will look at my belly and see it is swollen or getting water retention (leaky gut/increased endotoxins absorption) when all my symptoms get worse. Dairy/fat/fibers are a no no for me for now (very hard lifestyle), but I am trying few things related to the gut lately, some of which are not really "Peat approved" with few interesting results but nothing spectacular to report yet (lacking money to go further in my experiments though for now).
Too much fluids will trigger anxiety/hyperactivity as well. I think I have a problem with water retention/leakiness and that basically leaky gut/inflammation/metabolism issues will lead to/are manifested by water retention in the brain/gut/bloo circulation (varicoceles?) Leakiness, aging, and cancer

I've noticed that urea and creatine can help me but it can also be constipating at higher dose. I rub it on my belly with some water when I noticed water retention and it reduces it. Nothing perfect and sometimes I sill feel quite bad, but I have not felt that good since years.

I've decided to stop school as well and to try to find an alternative lifestyle for me, I'm trying to build a business to avoid studying and working in this crazy society/system. That brings a bit of anxiety because I am not steady yet, but at least I want to try as much as I can while I still can. I think this is very important for healh.
“Today as always, men fall into two groups: slaves and free men. Whoever does not have two-thirds of his day for himself, is a slave, whatever he may be: a statesman, a businessman, an official, or a scholar.”
Friedrich Nietzsche
I totally agree. I was pursuing my business degree, but even this seems too constraining. I admire your courage to do something like start a business; it's very anxiogenic, and it takes an incredible degree of drive. I'm considering methylphenidate (Ritalin) for studying. I'm still debating this, but I might try it.

jitsmonkey

tyler there are other possible side discussions but the most obvious issues with the use of strong stimulants of any kind
is the speed at which they use up fuel. And imo this where the most obvious metabolic damage is done. Whether its thyroid
dexadrine, adderall, cocaine, caffeine.... all require significant amounts of fuel and it can be very difficult if not impossible to keep pace with the fuel they require.
Thus virtually everyone using them in any significant way will tip the scales to the stress side of the equation and run stress hormones to deal with the
stimulation in absence of adequate fuel. I know a few folks who have been able to fuel amply and remain using very small amounts of dexadrine. And obviously there are many folks who are successful at meeting the fueling needs of thyroid and caffeine. Point being that if the substance stimulates to such a degree that you can't provide enough fuel to keep pace with demand. It will create metabolic stress and ultimately metabolic damage.
Sometimes the fueling shortfall is too much stimulant. Sometimes its that you're not utilizing fuel properly/amply. Sometimes its both.

Frankdee20

tyler there are other possible side discussions but the most obvious issues with the use of strong stimulants of any kind
is the speed at which they use up fuel. And imo this where the most obvious metabolic damage is done. Whether its thyroid
dexadrine, adderall, cocaine, caffeine.... all require significant amounts of fuel and it can be very difficult if not impossible to keep pace with the fuel they require.
Thus virtually everyone using them in any significant way will tip the scales to the stress side of the equation and run stress hormones to deal with the
stimulation in absence of adequate fuel. I know a few folks who have been able to fuel amply and remain using very small amounts of dexadrine. And obviously there are many folks who are successful at meeting the fueling needs of thyroid and caffeine. Point being that if the substance stimulates to such a degree that you can't provide enough fuel to keep pace with demand. It will create metabolic stress and ultimately metabolic damage.
Sometimes the fueling shortfall is too much stimulant. Sometimes its that you're not utilizing fuel properly/amply. Sometimes its both.

Extremely well said

milkboi

Any other opinions about Adderall, Dexamphetamine, etc., from Dr. Peat perspectives?

Haidut (not Doctor P, I know ;)) commented on Amphetamines on the latest Generative Energy show. He recommended modafinil (Provigil) as a healthier option if needed.

Frankdee20

Oral amphetamines are not nearly as addictive as intranasal or intravenous Cocaine perhaps due to the longer duration and route of administration. The crash is much milder from amphetamine than Cocaine. Either way, it becomes addictive and who can sustain repeated Cocaine use without hitting a brick wall.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals