40 Day Waterfast, Wish Me Luck!

Jessie

I wonder how well this went? I've always been scared to push a fast beyond 15-18 hours (IF basically). Juice fasts is something I've always been curious about. I feel like autophagy is probably overrated anyways, and that most of the benefits from fasting is by sterilizing the gut.

After 2 or 3 days you'd basically be in ketosis anyways, and most gut bacteria are metabolically flexible and can burn fat for energy. So I'm wondering if there's a diminishing return (like with most things) to fasting?

Zigzag

I actually had a break from regular dieting and did a 3 day waterfast recently. To my surprise after those days my weight only increased, a lil bit, but still. I remember doing 3 day water fasts a couple of years ago and I was able to lose at least some water, currently not even that. I made sure to stay hydrated: magnesium, salt and potassium. Any ideas why my weight didn't move?

baccheion

I actually had a break from regular dieting and did a 3 day waterfast recently. To my surprise after those days my weight only increased, a lil bit, but still. I remember doing 3 day water fasts a couple of years ago and I was able to lose at least some water, currently not even that. I made sure to stay hydrated: magnesium, salt and potassium. Any ideas why my weight didn't move?
Water retention, obviously. Further, fat stores are initially replaced with water. Better to get one of those devices that checks water weight.

How much water do you drink per day? Consuming more will lower aldosterone, leading to release of excess sodium.

How much did you consume on the fast and with how much of each electrolyte?

If fasting for healing, better to go without electrolytes during the first 7-11 days. Consume water at a rate of 1 tablespoon/minute. Mix with saliva for that minute, then swallow.

Zigzag

Water retention, obviously. Further, fat stores are initially replaced with water. Better to get one of those devices that checks water weight.

How much water do you drink per day? Consuming more will lower aldosterone, leading to release of excess sodium.

How much did you consume on the fast and with how much of each electrolyte?

If fasting for healing, better to go without electrolytes during the first 7-11 days. Consume water at a rate of 1 tablespoon/minute. Mix with saliva for that minute, then swallow.
Probably around 3l a day. I have that habit of drinking water when I'm bored (office job). When it comes to the added electrolytes, it was 2g Potassium, 500mg Mg and around 2tsp of salt.

- And... bah I'll stop. I just hope people keep open minds, and read science, multiple sources, rather than always going to single person's opinion on science.

:+1
This.

Why does EVERYBODY seem to answer things with "but did you read what Ray Peat said? Ray Peat said don't do that!"

People. THINK FOR YOURSELVES. Ray Peat is ONE smart person on this earth of millions if not billions of other smart people. Ray Peat is not an oracle.

It's CRITICAL to THINK FOR YOURSELVES. More critical than following Ray Peat's advice.

And from what I can tell the OP is thinking for himself, basing his decision to fast on HIS OWN PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE and not what Ray Peat says about it. That's a healthy thing!

If there's one thing this forum makes me want to scream over and over again at my screen, it's THINK FOR YOURSELF. Of course, ask opinions, give feedback, but you have to be your own expert on yourself. Ray Peat is not an expert on you.

Andman

:+1
This.

Why does EVERYBODY seem to answer things with "but did you read what Ray Peat said? Ray Peat said don't do that!"

People. THINK FOR YOURSELVES. Ray Peat is ONE smart person on this earth of millions if not billions of other smart people. Ray Peat is not an oracle.

It's CRITICAL to THINK FOR YOURSELVES. More critical than following Ray Peat's advice.

And from what I can tell the OP is thinking for himself, basing his decision to fast on HIS OWN PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE and not what Ray Peat says about it. That's a healthy thing!

If there's one thing this forum makes me want to scream over and over again at my screen, it's THINK FOR YOURSELF. Of course, ask opinions, give feedback, but you have to be your own expert on yourself. Ray Peat is not an expert on you.

could be because this is the ray peat forum? ;)

Brundle

what is happening? 40 days are over..

I think it safe to assume the poor devil expired. He began the fast on April 2nd, lost enough energy to update after April 8th, and finally, in his delirium posted a random question about light bulbs on 31st May, after which... nothing. He did not expect lockdown to last so long.

I think it safe to assume the poor devil expired. He began the fast on April 2nd, lost enough energy to update after April 8th, and finally, in his delirium posted a random question about light bulbs on 31st May, after which... nothing. He did not expect lockdown to last so long.

... Long Time Fasting is highly dangerous. His last log in was seemingly "Jun 25, 2020". Maybe he is coming back.

stumpus

More likely he just ate a whole pizza after last update and is too embarrassed to revisit thread.

OliviaD

Making the most out of lockdown. So I'm going to embark on a 40 day waterfast. I will also consume salt in my water to hopefully lessen some of the stress on the kidneys/my body.
I'm brand new to this forum, but since it is entitled Ray Peat forum, I assumed be people discussing his diet/lifestyle philosophies; which this is the opposite of. I'm not being snarky, just trying to get to know the place :)

lionsmane311

Forum Supporter
Hope it worked out. I might do it for my auditory and visual hallucinations. I'm desperate as it's ruining my life. If it doesn't get better within 10 years I'll probably do euthanasia to get out of this tough life. I still remember how easy my life was when I didn't have this going on everyday.

There was a russian physician named Yuri Nikoliav who supposedly fasted 10000 people and cured 70% of them. I don't know what counts as being cured. It might just be where I am right now where I only have hallucinations and can function normally. But this may improve my symptoms. They don't know how it worked.

I believe people with schizophrenia have underlying toxoplasma gondii and lymes disease as well as other issues. I think fasting especially after trying everything to improve your health can be very useful and may kill toxoplasma or lymes. We still don't understand the body yet and fasting definitely has a use when already healthy.

Ras

Hope it worked out. I might do it for my auditory and visual hallucinations. I'm desperate as it's ruining my life. If it doesn't get better within 10 years I'll probably do euthanasia to get out of this tough life. I still remember how easy my life was when I didn't have this going on everyday.

There was a russian physician named Yuri Nikoliav who supposedly fasted 10000 people and cured 70% of them. I don't know what counts as being cured. It might just be where I am right now where I only have hallucinations and can function normally. But this may improve my symptoms. They don't know how it worked.

I believe people with schizophrenia have underlying toxoplasma gondii and lymes disease as well as other issues. I think fasting especially after trying everything to improve your health can be very useful and may kill toxoplasma or lymes. We still don't understand the body yet and fasting definitely has a use when already healthy.
Should you decide to fast, I recommend a dry one.

Making the most out of lockdown. So I'm going to embark on a 40 day waterfast. I will also consume salt in my water to hopefully lessen some of the stress on the kidneys/my body.
My father did a 28 day water only fast, and stopped at that point because his heart was acting funny.

Ben.

For 30 days? Or a some days?
Dear Lord ... nooooo.

Dry fasts are anywhere from 1-3 days, 5-7 days or in extreme cases 9-11 days depending solely on the individual.
Please make sure you inform and prepare yourself accordingly before doing a dry fast.

I guess one start would be here:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals