Chemistry/Math Question

iPeat

Hello, all. I've been out of school awhile so I'm a little behind on my math and chemistry. I would like some help in making sure I'm correct in a calculation and also want to make sure I'm not making some grave mistake in concentration.

So, I watched a lecture by Ray recently and he mentioned that a 10x hypertonic solution could treat stomach ulcers. He also mentioned a group of people that were researched to consume 30g+ of salt per day without the researchers finding a single person with hypertension even up into the 90 year-old age group.

I have pretty constant mouth ulcers and Ray has said that as the mouth goes, so goes the gut. I'm also looking to increase my salt intake so it's a win-win. I can't seem to find out exactly what a 10x solution is but he said in the lecture that sea water was a 7x hypertonic solution.

Ok, now for my math. Please correct me if I'm wrong:

Water weighs 225 grams per cup.
Sea water is 3.5% salt.
So that's 7 grams per cup (I rounded down. It's actually 7.875).
So if sea water is about 7 grams per cup, and is a 7x solution, then 10 grams of salt in a cup of water would roughly be a 10x solution right?

I'm just worried I'm doing something wrong with ratios or misinterpreting what a 10x hypertonic solution is.

Thanks in advance.

One cup is equivalent to ~236 mL of water and the density of water is about 1 g/mL giving you 236 g of water.
If sea water is 3.5% salt then 236 g of water would contain 8.26 g of salt.
If sea water is 7X hypertonic and he recommends 10X hyper tonic 8.26 g * 10 / 7 = 11.8 g of salt in 236 mL of water.

Because salt takes up part of the volume of the cup of water you would subtract the salt 11.8 g from 236 g (from 236 mL of water) = 236 - 11.8 = ~224 mL of water

Your math is approximately correct, but to be exact I would add 11.8 g of salt to 224 mL of water to make a 10X hypertonic solution.

OP
iPeat

iPeat

One cup is equivalent to ~236 mL of water and the density of water is about 1 g/mL giving you 236 g of water.
If sea water is 3.5% salt then 236 g of water would contain 8.26 g of salt.
If sea water is 7X hypertonic and he recommends 10X hyper tonic 8.26 g * 10 / 7 = 11.8 g of salt in 236 mL of water.

Because salt takes up part of the volume of the cup of water you would subtract the salt 11.8 g from 236 g (from 236 mL of water) = 236 - 11.8 = ~224 mL of water

Your math is approximately correct, but to be exact I would add 11.8 g of salt to 224 mL of water to make a 10X hypertonic solution.

Thank you!

OP
iPeat

iPeat

Just for curiosity's sake; would there be a conversion if I wanted to make the 10x solution with sodium bicarbonate instead of sodium chloride? I'm assuming there is, just wondering if it would a massive difference.

Just for curiosity's sake; would there be a conversion if I wanted to make the 10x solution with sodium bicarbonate instead of sodium chloride? I'm assuming there is, just wondering if it would a massive difference.

There would be no conversion. Because the solution of salt is % weight/volume (w/v) a 10 % solution of 100 mL of sodium chloride or sodium bicarbonate would both 10 g dissolved into a total of 100 mL volume.

OP
iPeat

iPeat

There would be no conversion. Because the solution of salt is % weight/volume (w/v) a 10 % solution of 100 mL of sodium chloride or sodium bicarbonate would both 10 g dissolved into a total of 100 mL volume.

Thank you again! I love this forum.

Luk3

Please update this thread once you have experimented with this.

OP
iPeat

iPeat

Please update this thread once you have experimented with this.

I'm probably going to make a separate thread about it once I get some more results. I've been mixing 1 tsp of pickling salt in 1/2 cup of water (roughly an 11x solution) and drinking it twice a day on an empty stomach. I think I'm losing some water weight. I'm down 3 lbs (I gained a lot on a Peat-inspired diet). I still have a mouth ulcer and it burns like crazy when I drink this stuff. You can feel it going all through your body. Sometimes it will flush me out, but most of the time my body accepts the solution and I feel good after, like a slight mood/energy lift. Not sure if the flushing is a good thing or a bad thing. I may lower the concentration to be closer to 10x, like Peat said, and see if the flushing goes away.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals