Some basic questions

koganmj

1. Are tomatoes safe? (outside of allergies)

2. Are turmeric and ginger safe?

3. How many oysters/week is it necessary to consume to meet nutritional requirements? (average-sized male adult) I consume no other seafood.

4. Is it possible to overdose on Vit A by consuming too much liver? How much liver is too much, say, oz/week? (average-sized male adult)

5. I remember RP saying in one of his interviews with the Rubins that olive oil is a good source of antioxidants, and that he recommends no more than 2 tsp/day because of the PUFAs. In the metabolic blueprint cookbook, he recommends olive oil be used in the carrot salad along with vinegar and salt.
My question is: will the raw carrot prevent you from absorbing the antioxidants in the OO if you choose to get your daily 2-tsp of OO via the carrot salad?

6. Would supplementation of kelp capsules be considered safe or even nutritionally necessary? This recommendation comes from Dr Larry Wilson (http://drlwilson.com/index.htm) who has some very good insights into detoxification, though I disagree largely with his dietary advice. According to him, kelp capsules are a good source of trace minerals and "ultra-trace minerals" (never heard of "ultra" before but whatever). I'm assuming the iodine and cellulose (guessing kelp contains cellulose) would make these a no-no?

7a. Which of the following underground vegetables are considered safe? (well-cooked of course)
Parsnips, turnips, swedes (aka rutabaga I think), radishes, taro, beets, onions.

7b. I recall Josh Rubin stating (though I don't specifically remember where) that well-cooked underground vegetables are a good source of antioxidants. Also, of course, we all know about the anti-bacterial/viral/fungal benefits of underground vegetables.
My question is: is it nutritionally necessary to consume a wide variety of underground vegetables, or can you pretty much cover all your bases with potatoes, sweet potatoes and butternut squash?

8. I remember RP saying in one of his interviews with the Rubins that a trick he likes to use with non-hydrolised gelatin is to put it in a bowl/mug/whatever with a bit of water and blast it in the microwave for 30 secs or so to dissolve it so he has ready-to-go gelatin.
My question is: when you use a microwave do you have to use it on a certain setting, low or high or something, and is there a certain wattage of microwave you should use? I don't know much about microwaves (can you tell?); it's fair to say I've been conditioned by the alternative health world's propaganda against them.

9. We're all familiar with the recommendation to get in sugar and salt before bed for better sleep, typically with milk. Just wondering specifically how much sugar & salt is recommended?

10. Molasses: does the RP community have an official position on this? Is it just the allergy concern and therefore individual-specific, or the chemical changes from the heat during production that RP talks about thus making it biologically unsuitable for anyone? Matt Stone in one of his books recommends it for the mineral content.

11. How much sugar is recommended per cup of coffee?

aguilaroja

koganmj said:
8. I remember RP saying in one of his interviews with the Rubins that a trick he likes to use with non-hydrolised gelatin is to put it in a bowl/mug/whatever with a bit of water and blast it in the microwave for 30 secs or so to dissolve it so he has ready-to-go gelatin.
My question is: when you use a microwave do you have to use it on a certain setting, low or high or something, and is there a certain wattage of microwave you should use? I don't know much about microwaves (can you tell?); it's fair to say I've been conditioned by the alternative health world's propaganda against them....

The questions convey experience and sophistication, which may be one sort of basic-ness. Most or all questions could each have a separate thread.

The main thing IMNHE is for the liquid to get warm enough for the gelatin to dissolve. I have done this maneuver in numerous microwaves, usually cooking a bit longer. The conditions relate not only to the microwave settings but also the volume of liquid and size of the container/dish. The high or default setting on most microwaves seems fine.

If the gelatin does not dissolve, just cook it a bit longer. The "hazard" of overcooking is that the liquid boils and the gelatin liquid spills out of the container. My preference is to let the gelatin cool a bit after cooking to "set" into a more solid consistency.

Mittir

You can find answer to a lot of your questions from general dietary guidelines.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20
Here is a large depository of RP's email advice.
http://peatarian.com/peatexchanges

1. Are tomatoes safe? (outside of allergies)

A: Except for nightshade issue tomatoes are fine, so are fruit vegetables like
cucumber, summer squash, pepper etc.

2. Are turmeric and ginger safe?

A: He commented that there are lot of problematic compounds in turmeric
and most studies done only on curcumin. I do not remember him talking about ginger.

3. How many oysters/week is it necessary to consume to meet nutritional requirements? (average-sized male adult) I consume no other seafood.

A: Main purpose of seafood is selenium and other trace minerals and oyster has
extra zinc. You can use cronometer to figure out the total requirements.
He mostly goes by RDA with few exceptions like protein, calcium, sodium etc.

4. Is it possible to overdose on Vit A by consuming too much liver? How much liver is too much, say, oz/week? (average-sized male adult)

A: He thinks average hypothyroid person needs about 5,000 IU vitamin A and excess vitamin A
can block thyroid function. He also mentioned for a healthy person with good thyroid function
10,000 IU is fine.

5. I remember RP saying in one of his interviews with the Rubins that olive oil is a good source of antioxidants, and that he recommends no more than 2 tsp/day because of the PUFAs. In the metabolic blueprint cookbook, he recommends olive oil be used in the carrot salad along with vinegar and salt.
My question is: will the raw carrot prevent you from absorbing the antioxidants in the OO if you choose to get your daily 2-tsp of OO via the carrot salad?

A: I think main purpose of adding oil to raw carrot salad is to inhibit the breakdown of
carrot so that fiber can travel through lower part of intestine. I think olive also has
some anti bacterial property like coconut oil and other saturated fats.

6. Would supplementation of kelp capsules be considered safe or even nutritionally necessary? This recommendation comes from Dr Larry Wilson (http://drlwilson.com/index.htm) who has some very good insights into detoxification, though I disagree largely with his dietary advice. According to him, kelp capsules are a good source of trace minerals and "ultra-trace minerals" (never heard of "ultra" before but whatever). I'm assuming the iodine and cellulose (guessing kelp contains cellulose) would make these a no-no?

A: RP mentioned those seaweeds are risky as those can have toxic compounds.
Excess iodine can also block thyroid function. He thinks it is ok to use extra iodine
for short period of time as anti-oxidant/chain breaker.

7a. Which of the following underground vegetables are considered safe? (well-cooked of course)
Parsnips, turnips, swedes (aka rutabaga I think), radishes, taro, beets, onions.

7b. I recall Josh Rubin stating (though I don't specifically remember where) that well-cooked underground vegetables are a good source of antioxidants. Also, of course, we all know about the anti-bacterial/viral/fungal benefits of underground vegetables.
My question is: is it nutritionally necessary to consume a wide variety of underground vegetables, or can you pretty much cover all your bases with potatoes, sweet potatoes and butternut squash?

A: He does not recommend sweet potatoes for it's high beta carotene content and
it is a goitrogen. He recommends starch free white potato juice for it's high nutritional and
keto acid content only if someone does not have problem with nightshade family.
Lot of people have problem with well cooked white potatoes and some with with potato juice.

9. We're all familiar with the recommendation to get in sugar and salt before bed for better sleep, typically with milk. Just wondering specifically how much sugar & salt is recommended?

A: He mentioned that 2-3 TBS of sugar in a cup of milk helped him to sleep.
It varies from person to person. I use 2 tbs of sugar. Salt intake should be based
on craving.

10. Molasses: does the RP community have an official position on this? Is it just the allergy concern and therefore individual-specific, or the chemical changes from the heat during production that RP talks about thus making it biologically unsuitable for anyone? Matt Stone in one of his books recommends it for the mineral content.

A: He mentioned that high heat processes creates inflammatory, toxic and allergenic compounds in molasses and brown sugar molasses. He also mentioned these brown foods are ok in extreme poverty.

11. How much sugar is recommended per cup of coffee?[/quote]

A: Coffee is safest with meal and need for sugar and cream depends on individual.
There should be enough sugar or glycogen storage to supply increased demand of energy
resulting from coffee.