Zinc Supplement

Amber

Hi all,

Been taking zinc for the past couple weeks, but since taking it at night last week, i started clenching my jaw during my sleep and waking up with very sore jaws. Which would be a sign of stress to me. Weird because this never happened before while taking zinc.

Any ideas on why this is happening?

Herbie

Hi,

Ray Peat: Taking zinc orally, 5 or 10 mg, can replenish the body's stores in a few days, but the supplement can oxidize other nutrients in the stomach or intestine, so it isn't good to use it for a long time.

OP
Amber

Amber

Hi,

Ray Peat: Taking zinc orally, 5 or 10 mg, can replenish the body's stores in a few days, but the supplement can oxidize other nutrients in the stomach or intestine, so it isn't good to use it for a long time.

Hmm, i've been taking 50mg/day but still don't get why it would cause jaw clenching.

I know it antagonizes copper tho

Herbie

Too much zinc has side effects and antagonises copper and low copper also has side effects.

It could be having a negative effect in the digestive system and increasing serotonin levels which can cause the jaw clenching/teeth grinding. But I'm only speculating.

I would stop taking the zinc and see if the jaw relaxes.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals