Why I Wish People Here Would Seriously Consider a Tool Chest to Measure Vitals - One Day It will Pay off

yerrag

Forgive me if I missed you, as I believe I am the only person in this forum to talk about using personal devices that measure biomarkers at home.

Biomarkers such as spO², heart rate, blood pressure, temperature, ECG QTc, and perfusion index.

I will assume everyone knows what the first four metrics are about ( the first one we would be quite familiar with especially after COVID).

The QTc measures the relaxation time of the heart after each pump cycle. Too long and you're hypothyroid, and too short- hyperthyroid.

The perfusion inexpensive(PI) tells how much of the flow of blood comes from the pumping action of the heart, and is said to correlate to how well blood circulates in the capillaries, which is vital to blood going in and out of organs.

I will dispense with the specifics such as the standard values and range for now. Those interested can ask.

To get the whole caboodle, it doesn't cost more than $350. Considering how much people here can spend on supplements, it seems to be a reasonable investment.

If you can avoid a trip to the ER, even when you have medical insurance, and avoid being poked with all sorts of sorts, and be experimented on by interns, and be given drugs you don't really need, why not?

Today, I experienced a medical incident, and without my tools, I certainly would have no choice but be taken to the ER.

Here is my story.

Today I experienced a situation that normally would have landed a person in the ER. But because I knew enough to handle it, even though it was the first time to happen to me, I stayed composed, didn't give in to panic mode, and my vitals were restored in short order.

I was in the Fishpond when I felt shortness of breath and came out. I took my vitals, and my spO2 was 84%, my temp was 35.5C, and my heart rate at 115.

I knew then I wasn't getting enough oxygen, a continuing effect of having OD'ed recently on cinnamon bark oil, and the lack of oxygen was keeping my body from increasing its temperature.

I knew bag breathing was not a viable solution, as this is a matter of external respiration (involving faulty oxygen intake in the lungs) and that it isn't about internal respiration, where CO2 is needed to enable oxygenation of tissues.

I stayed composed, and wrapped myself in a thick blanket as I drank cold water (edit: should be hot water, damn) as I managed my breathing making sure I keep it steady.

Even though I was coughing blood-tinged bubbly saliva (or transparent mucus) into a.cup continually, I remained unfazed, thinking the green stuff had already came out the past few days.

I sat for an hour, and my temperature rose to 38 before coming.back to.normal and my spO2 got back to 91, but my heart rate remained as high.

Lowe told me that my skin has turned ashen white during the ordeal but that it.has quickly been restored to normal.

It made me realize that had I acted differently, I may have died but I accept the risks involved in being my own doctor. I think that it is always better to die at my own hands, than at the hands of doctors.

It is just a.thought as the chances of it happening is a matter of probability, with odds still being in my favor.

I also am thankful that this.morning I woke up to see my spO2 chart giving me a score of 0. That.gave me an awareness that I am vulnerable. My acquisition of health monitoring devices over the years finally payed off.

Last edited:

FitnessMike

I would recommend fit bit to everyone that is recovering from hypothyroidism, i can easily tell when I'm improving by looking at my average resting pulse as well as my pulse at any given moment.

FitnessMike

Would the apple watch be good enough?
fit bit app sleep tracker better they say, but iwatch would be okay for sure

Thalgo

I don't have one, not even an iPhone. But I have considered it. I'm holding back due to having an emf source near you the whole time

OP
yerrag

yerrag

I discovered a typo and have corrected my original post.

I drank warm or hot water, not cold water. I'll post more details on what I used as well.

Puffyjacket

Thanks for the tips, will look in to them. Atm i have an Oura ring, a CGM and today received my CORE continuous body temp measuring device that i will use in my hunt for better temps.

Does anyone here have experience measuring lactic acid at home? There are people who use it as a tool to battle anxiety with methods to reduce it, which is quite interesting.

tastyfood

The QTc measures the relaxation time of the heart after each pump cycle. Too long and you're hypothyroid, and too short- hyperthyroid.

The too high value has been discussed, but do you have any references for what's too short of a QTc? Thank you! And thanks for the post.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Would the apple watch be good enough?
The Apple Watch is handy to have. I don't own one, but a famous retired 80yr old heart surgeon showed me his EKG with the watch. His EKG looks very nice, much better than mine. But, afaik, it doesn't allow one to look further into the EKG.

For me, the one thing I'm interested in is whether I can find the QTc computed for me. And if I doubt the computation, I could still occasionally be able to manually compute it.

The personal EKG I use is a $100 Facelake FL20. I take 5 30-second measurements each time, and plug the unit via USB to a PC, upload, and then the software computes the QTc.

That is as simple as it gets.

But as you research into the subject, you will find the software is rough at the edges and you can't assume what it computes is always correct. Sometimes, I have to do my 'manual override' when I doubt the values. Since the EKG is presented in a graphical form, I can roughly do my own recalculation.

Learning to read an EKG isn't that difficult as far as reading the a personal EKG device goes. It doesn't have the sophistication of 6-lead or 12-lead EKGs, and that's what makes it easier. I use it as an early warning device purely, and not to replace the ones you see at labs and clinics.

But I believe for now that is the state of the art as price point goes, and maybe (or maybe not due to TPTB) more AI can improve the computational accuracy. Still, with warts and all, I can handle it.

The unit has been around for at least 5 years, so the software is stable and reliable. Not being an Apple, it's not designed intuitively, and being from China, the maker assumes you'll figure it out, being short on documentation and support.

But there's really not much to know once I went thru that learning curve. If you have difficulty using it, give me a holler and I can walk you through it.

Its design is also kinda dated, and it doesn't operate on a touch screen, so don't be surprised. But hey, it does the job.

Last edited:
OP
yerrag

yerrag

I don't have one, not even an iPhone. But I have considered it. I'm holding back due to having an emf source near you the whole time
Legit concern.

I don't have to worry about that.

The only device there that has communication protocols needing emf is the O²ring, which I wear each night to record my spO2, heart rate, and movement at 4 second intervals.

When I wake up, it is then that I enable Bluetooth to upload to my smartphone. And then turn it off.

I chose O²ring over Oura. Cheaper and more useful. As Ray Peat consider the HRV (heart rate variability) a fad (I take that as imbued in marketing and not really science). The HRV metric gives you a higher score when your heart rate is low, and that's fine if you believe in the mainstream 'rate of living' theory.

With O²ring, I was able to see my SpO² drop often at night, and I am perplexed and continue to look into it. However, I have no group to discuss this with, and no research article to read about. Amazing, like there's a blackout on it which leads me to the sleep apnea narrative favored by mainstream medicine. Yet I hardly ever snore based on the sleep software I use.

Lastly, I prefer to not use wearables that emit emf. I don't wear any smartwatch.

Add: Here's a record of my spO2 after the incident. It is plain to see my spO2 was very low, mostly below 90, when it should be mostly above 95.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230228-101131397.jpg
    Screenshot_20230228-101131397.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
OP
yerrag

yerrag

Thanks for the tips, will look in to them. Atm i have an Oura ring, a CGM and today received my CORE continuous body temp measuring device that i will use in my hunt for better temps.

Does anyone here have experience measuring lactic acid at home? There are people who use it as a tool to battle anxiety with methods to reduce it, which is quite interesting.
CORE looks nice. I can see how much more useful it is for cyclists and athletes on endurance competition, as that info gives them an edge. But as a regular homeboy, can I see much more value to it over an ear thermometer? An ear thermometer gives me a quick reading whenever I needed it. Granted, there is some variation in the reading but it has more to do with the thermometer being positioned consistently at the right spot in the ear. Even so, the variation is for me a reasonable tradeoff for being able to take quick readings. If I wanted for consistent and accurate readings, I resort to using the digital thermometers placed under my tongue, but I find it inconvenient to have to wait from 5•10 minutes to get a good read.

As for lactic acid, I am more interested in serum lactic acid because, unlike effect lactic acid, I can relate its presence to the acid base condition of blood, and I can use respiratory rate to get a good approximation of my serum acid base balance.

Anything below 14 is basic or alkaline, and above is acidic. And farther below makes it more basic and farther above makes it more acidic.

I use an Android app called Respi-Rate to measure my breath rate and I love it. A short learning curve is all you need.

When I was sick and I felt my metabolism was.not quite good, I felt a headache and I measured 22. I figured that the high acidity drives up the breath rate in an attempt to breath out acidity by removing carbonic acid from blood and expelling it from the lungs as CO2.

But if the high acidity is caused by lactic acid, there isn't really much increasing the breath rate could do, as lactic acid, unlike carbonic acid, can't be breathed out.

The lungs is a rapid way to remove acidity in the blood where carbonic acid/CO2 is concerned, but when lactic acid acid is concerned, the slow way is the way to go, which is thru urine thru the kidneys.

But there is a way out to speed up the correction. I take thiamine as it will enable lactic acid to convert to glucose, thus lessening the lactic acid load on the serum much faster than waiting for the kidneys to excrete the lactic acid.

The liver converts the lactic acid to glucose.

I know it is working when my breathe rate declines and when my headache is relieved.

And I help my body out further by helping it recover back to it producing CO2 endogenously via mitochondrial oxidation. By breathing carbogen, or drinking carbonated water, or taking baking soda. All to compensate for its temporary failure to produce CO2 by giving external sources of CO2 to it.

Jennifer

Forgive me if I missed you, as I believe I am the only person in this forum to talk about using personal devices that measure biomarkers at home.

I've been using personal devices that measure biomarkers on myself and parents, since I followed RBTI back in 2011. I've talked about it on the forum, but I think it's mostly been in my logs and with tara because she was familiar with RBTI. Not many people I know of use non-conventional devices like a refractometer to test their urine so...

OP
yerrag

yerrag

I've been using personal devices that measure biomarkers on myself and parents, since I followed RBTI back in 2011. I've talked about it on the forum, but I think it's mostly been in my logs and with tara because she was familiar with RBTI. Not many people I know of use non-conventional devices like a refractometer to test their urine so...
I'm glad to learn of that. These personal devices are useful and there's much to be learned from using non-conventional devices like a refratometer. Just so happens I have one and got to test my urine specific gravity with it, although I wouldn't have tested it if I didn't already own one for use to test my fishpond's salinity.

I think I should also expand the scope of devices as I have mainly narrowed it down to devices that have over the years become common as digital versions of their analog origins.

If you have more to add to this, we can have a wider selection for the toolchest. Even if one is specialized and could be considered optional by some, it may be vital to another.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Would you link to the devices you purchased?
SpO² - O²ring

Personal ECG

Ear Thermometer - Braun (EBay has good prices the time I bought mine)

Blood Pressure

Bought mine from Amazon but no longer sold in Amazon. But it works very reliably, and the white led on black background makes it easy to use at night. As I consider Omron's arm cuff the best (fits better than all the rest to the arm, perhaps a patented design), I would buy its arm cuff despite an arm cuff being included with the purchase of Hylogy's BP unit.

Since electronic BP units are not expensive, don't need to buy the cheapest to save. Some are just POS.

Jennifer

I'm glad to learn of that. These personal devices are useful and there's much to be learned from using non-conventional devices like a refratometer. Just so happens I have one and got to test my urine specific gravity with it, although I wouldn't have tested it if I didn't already own one for use to test my fishpond's salinity.

I think I should also expand the scope of devices as I have mainly narrowed it down to devices that have over the years become common as digital versions of their analog origins.

If you have more to add to this, we can have a wider selection for the toolchest. Even if one is specialized and could be considered optional by some, it may be vital to another.

You know, now that I think about it, I’m almost certain that we’ve had a conversation on this topic before. I want to say we even discussed meters?

Edit—This is the thread I was thinking of:

OP
yerrag

yerrag

You know, now that I think about it, I’m almost certain that we’ve had a conversation on this topic before. I want to say we even discussed meters?

Edit—This is the thread I was thinking of:

That was some time ago, when Tara was around and the use of RBTI based on Dr. Morse's ideas (if I recall right) was talked about. It was rather arcane to me, and I had to go elsewhere to research on urine and saliva to get into where I could relate them to acid base balance using Ph strips. There may be something there we discussed on refractometers, but I don't much recall other kinds of meters, and it could be that I wasn't ready to use any device or meter where I don't fully grasp the principles behind the use.

Even Tara finds it hard to explain RBTI, I believe. So you can understand if my interest in it has waned, and I've forgotten about it.

Vinny

Biomarkers such as spO², heart rate, blood pressure, temperature, ECG QTc, and perfusion index.

I will assume everyone knows what the first four metrics are about ( the first one we would be quite familiar with especially after COVID).

The perfusion inexpensive(PI) tells how much of the flow of blood comes from the pumping action of the heart, and is said to correlate to how well blood circulates in the capillaries, which is vital to blood going in and out of organs.

I will dispense with the specifics such as the standard values and range for now. Those interested can ask.

To get the whole caboodle, it doesn't cost more than $350. Considering how much people here can spend on supplements, it seems to be a reasonable investment.

If you can avoid a trip to the ER, even when you have medical insurance, and avoid being poked with all sorts of sorts, and be experimented on by interns, and be given drugs you don't really need, why not?

Today, I experienced a medical incident, and without my tools, I certainly would have no choice but be taken to the ER.

Here is my story.

Today I experienced a situation that normally would have landed a person in the ER. But because I knew enough to handle it, even though it was the first time to happen to me, I stayed composed, didn't give in to panic mode, and my vitals were restored in short order.

I was in the Fishpond when I felt shortness of breath and came out. I took my vitals, and my spO2 was 84%, my temp was 35.5C, and my heart rate at 115.

I knew then I wasn't getting enough oxygen, a continuing effect of having OD'ed recently on cinnamon bark oil, and the lack of oxygen was keeping my body from increasing its temperature.

I knew bag breathing was not a viable solution, as this is a matter of external respiration (involving faulty oxygen intake in the lungs) and that it isn't about internal respiration, where CO2 is needed to enable oxygenation of tissues.

I stayed composed, and wrapped myself in a thick blanket as I drank cold water (edit: should be hot water, damn) as I managed my breathing making sure I keep it steady.

Even though I was coughing blood-tinged bubbly saliva (or transparent mucus) into a.cup continually, I remained unfazed, thinking the green stuff had already came out the past few days.

I sat for an hour, and my temperature rose to 38 before coming.back to.normal and my spO2 got back to 91, but my heart rate remained as high.

Lowe told me that my skin has turned ashen white during the ordeal but that it.has quickly been restored to normal.

It made me realize that had I acted differently, I may have died but I accept the risks involved in being my own doctor. I think that it is always better to die at my own hands, than at the hands of doctors.

It is just a.thought as the chances of it happening is a matter of probability, with odds still being in my favor.

I also am thankful that this.morning I woke up to see my spO2 chart giving me a score of 0. That.gave me an awareness that I am vulnerable. My acquisition of health monitoring devices over the years finally payed off.
Very glad you got through, yerrag!

Regarding devices, I`d love to have them all at hand.

TheSir

With O²ring, I was able to see my SpO² drop often at night, and I am perplexed and continue to look into it
How much does it drop? A few point drop due to decelerating respiration is normal since the nervous system overall becomes depressed during certain phases of sleep (same reason why temperature drops).

What actually happened to you in OP? You said that you had OD'd on cinnamon oil, can you elaborate on this?

Jennifer

That was some time ago, when Tara was around and the use of RBTI based on Dr. Morse's ideas (if I recall right) was talked about. It was rather arcane to me, and I had to go elsewhere to research on urine and saliva to get into where I could relate them to acid base balance using Ph strips. There may be something there we discussed on refractometers, but I don't much recall other kinds of meters, and it could be that I wasn't ready to use any device or meter where I don't fully grasp the principles behind the use.

Even Tara finds it hard to explain RBTI, I believe. So you can understand if my interest in it has waned, and I've forgotten about it.

That’s probably because Carey A. Reams had what some chemists considered a controversial way of looking at chemistry. I personally no longer follow acid base balance theories and only mentioned our conversation about it because I recalled that we had discussed devices such as these:

Amazon product ASIN B072VH3WNLView: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072VH3WNL/ref=as_sl_pc_tf_til?tag=rapefo-20&linkCode=w00&linkId=&creativeASIN=B072VH3WNL

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals