This App Would Be Perfect for Determining Your Acid-Base Status, Except I Need To Tweak It With Your Help

yerrag

There is a free Android App called Breath Counter which can use your smartphone to measure your breathing rate. It's a very useful app, because it would give you a good indication of your acid-base status. When the breathing rate is 14, it is optimal and likely indicates good health. You would likely have good sugar metabolism, and you are not fighting an infection, and that you aren't taking drugs that often affect your pH balance. Contrary to what many believe in this forum, urine and saliva pH is not the basis, but breath rate is. This is because the lungs can quickly expel carbonic acid as CO2 when acidic, and it does so by increasing breathing to breathe out the CO2, and it can slow down breathing in order to retain more carbonic acid when the ecf (extracellular fluid) is alkaline. By this mechanism, one can, with a few exceptions, be able to know that a person's ecf is acidic when the breathing rate is higher than 14, and as the breath rate goes further away from this value, the more acidic the ecf. And when the breathing rate is lower than 14, the ecf is considered as alkaline, with the ecf being more alkaline the further lower the breathing rate gets.

This is not to say that the urine and saliva pH is not useful, but they are useful in another way, that still relates to the regulation of acid-base ballance.

This being the case, I went about looking for a phone app that would measure breathing rate. There is one only I found that would have been perfect. It would use the diaphragm in our body as the basis, as the diaphragm moves as we breath, and each diaphragm cycle of movement, where it moves to and from is in sync with each breathing cycle. This app, Breath Counter, would do just that. Lying down, I would start the app, and I would press the start icon, and it would count down silently for 10 seconds before spending the next minute measuring my breath rate. It would be perfect, except for one thing.

Me.

Try as much as I could to get distracted, I could not rid myself of being aware that my breath rate is being measured. This would mess up my breathing and I would end up breathing very slowly. And my breathing rate becomes very low, and based on this value of say, 9, I would be alkaline. I had my doubts, so I bought an oximeter that measures breathing rate as well, and it would tell me that it's 14.

I wrote the developer for this free app, and he couldn't care less by his lack of a response. Actually, he is a company and this is just one of their many apps so it is like a forgotten godson or stepchild. I would make a feature request that if they could build a randomly generated countdown timer, the user would not know when his breath rate is being timed and this would make the breath measurement more accurate.

Since I've resigned to the fact that this app won't ever be tweaked to my liking, I've moved on to another solution to this problem:

- I'll keep the app as is,
- And find another app that would be able to instruct the app to start the breath rate measurement in an automated way, such that t4his app would be the slave of a master app. And then I could be able to program the master app to be the random countdown timer, upon which at the end of the random countdown, it would launch the slave app to begin measuring the breath rate. This way, I would have made the slave app effective in measuring my breath rate, as the random countdown timer would be likely to catch me unaware that my breath rate is being measured.

I've uncovered two candidate apps that may do this job -

-Tasker ( Tasker - Apps on Google Play ); and
-Automate ( Automate - Apps on Google Play )

And this is the breath counter app: Breath Counter - Apps on Google Play

Since I've never used the above two "master" apps, I'm not sure if they can do what I'm hoping they could, and even if I knew, I would have to go thru a learning curve to use program them.

So I need someone who's familiar with doing this sort of thing to help me out. Your help would be very much appreciated.

Tim Lundeen

@yerrag Do you have links to info on breathing rate vs acid-alkaline balance?

The Automate app will start another app, but I'm not sure the Breath Counter app will work, because they say you have to be lying down with it on your abdomen.

Maybe something like this would be better: Skin Adhesive Kit for MMRL or MMS – MBIENTLAB -- then you could tape it to abdomen, record for some period while you are up and about, capture the recording to their app, and count breaths (somehow, I haven't used their app so don't know what tools/visualizations it gives you).

OP
yerrag

yerrag

@yerrag Do you have links to info on breathing rate vs acid-alkaline balance?

Here are some articles on it:

These will give you a general idea, but if you look further in the blog section, you will find more explanations scattered in bits in pieces.

Some more articles that may be of interest:

The Automate app will start another app, but I'm not sure the Breath Counter app will work, because they say you have to be lying down with it on your abdomen.
I have to be lying down for sure, but I don't understand why you think that me lying down would be a problem. I'm just going to put my phone on top of my tummy as I am lyng down, and the app will start and begin measuring my breath rate. I may be waiting for say 5 minutes or so while lying down, and then when the app measures my breath rate, it will do it for just 1 minute. I can lie still like supine and be distracted watching a movie or reading something in my smartphone and I won't know at all the app has begun measuring.
Maybe something like this would be better: Skin Adhesive Kit for MMRL or MMS – MBIENTLAB -- then you could tape it to abdomen, record for some period while you are up and about, capture the recording to their app, and count breaths (somehow, I haven't used their app so don't know what tools/visualizations it gives you).
This is possible, but it's not needed.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

@Tim Lundeen Another way to measure breath rate is to use an app that tracks sleep and if it has breath rate measuring function it will give one an idea of his breath rate.

Oura Ring has this feature, but it's $300.

A sleep monitoring app I use, called Sleep as Android, can do this also. I've just enabled the sleep tracking feature of this, which I didn't know about, and it can enable a Sonar feature that many smartphones can be enabled for. Luckily, my Samsung Galaxy S5 has this feature. So, tomorrow morning I will find out my breath rate. And I won't have to spend a penny. I hope this works.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals