Very Serious PSA/Warning Regarding Unique E Supplement

MCF

For me there is nothing better than Swanson Maximum Strength Gamma Tocopherol. 4 Tocopherols in this formula. After my partner got sick from Unique E, I tried this and never looked back.

L

lollipop

What foods would you suggest getting vitamin E from?

I also used an entire bottle last year without negative side effects.
Was thinking about liverwurst, greens, shellfish, olive oil...sure there are a few more not remembering :):

tara

That sounds like a panic attack,
+1, possibly with some allergic component, as you suggest.
Panic attack explanation sounds like when doctors say "it's all in your head." Surely there are some real physiological problems going on in these attacks.
AIUI, panic attack is term sometimes associated with set of physiologic problems related to a self-perpetuating cycle of hyperventilation/low CO2 levels causing tissue hypoxia, air hunger and related feelings of panic, and other potentially serious effects in various systems. It can have significant effects in the cardiovascular and nervous systems, affecting heart rate, causing numbness in extremities, dizziness, etc. Definitely not 'all in your head'. First aid would be anything you can do to get CO2 levels up without lowering O2 levels too much. Tactics worth trying to see if they give quick relief might include:
- taking a gentle walk with your mouth shut, possible with short breath holds
- paper bag breathing
- drink of juice or other carby food if at all hungry
- whatever you can do to relax muscles (in between movement) - adrenaline tends to promote hyperventilation

In the longer term, avoiding particular allergic triggers, keeping blood sugars from crashing too low, and training relaxed, nasal, diaphragmatic breathing that avoids getting hyper.

tara

That sounds like a panic attack, ...
+1, possibly with some allergic component, as you suggested.

Panic attack explanation sounds like when doctors say "it's all in your head." Surely there are some real physiological problems going on in these attacks.
AIUI, panic attack is term sometimes associated with set of physiologic problems that can be related to hyperventilation/low CO2 levels causing tissue hypoxia, air hunger and related feelings of panic, and other potentially serious effects in various systems. It can have significant effects in the cardiovascular and nervous systems. Definitely not 'all in your head'. I don't know whether 'panic attack' can also have other meanings/causes.

Home first aid might be anything you can do to get CO2 levels up without lowering O2 levels too much.
Tactics worth trying to see if they give quick relief might include:
- taking a gentle walk with your mouth shut, possible with short breathholds
- paper bag breathing
- drink of juice or other carby food if at all hungry\
- if you happen to have a source of concentrated CO2 on hand, you might find a way to safely supplement a little of it. I'd be curious to know whether applying it transdermally to a numb arm would resolve it quickly (ie put arm in a roughly sealed plastic bag of CO2.)

You could take a look at the subforum on CO2.

OP
B

beta pandemic

i was taking it orally. Not a panic attack. never experienced anything of the sort in my entire life and had no reason to. nothing changed in my typcial daily 'diet'/sup routine except for the addition of unique e. another symtom i forgot to mention was that my mouth and nasal airways got progressivley dryer leading up to this - my mouth and and nostrils are feeling normal/moist again and i have been coughing and sneezing out a lot of mucus/phlem

Last edited:
OP
B

beta pandemic

also im not sure if it being from gm soy has anything to do with my reaction to it or some other unlisted additive/impurity.

tara

Not a panic attack.
How do you know? Do you have an alternative explanation?
(I'm not saying the vit-E supp had nothing to do with it - something about it might had triggered some reaction that set off hyperventilation.)
another symtom i forgot to mention was that my mouth and nasal airways got progressivley dryer leading up to this - my mouth and and nostrils are feeling normal/moist again and i have been coughing and sneezing out a lot of mucus/phlem
Both dry airways and extra mucous (not necessarily at the same time) are common consequences of hyperventilation.

Birdie

I remember all the discussion about Unique back then but continued to use it. No problem that I experience. We take it daily with a week or 10 days off about monthly. I do use NOW brand for quite a few things. Not sure how I'd gage their quality, but often I prefer their excipients or lack of.

As far as the choice between oral or skin dosing, sometimes I want the stuff to go through the whole digestive process rather than just jumping through to the blood. Different ways to look at it... But truth is I do whatever is easier or possible!

OP
B

beta pandemic

How do you know? Do you have an alternative explanation?
(I'm not saying the vit-E supp had nothing to do with it - something about it might had triggered some reaction that set off hyperventilation.)

Both dry airways and extra mucous (not necessarily at the same time) are common consequences of hyperventilation.

consequences of hyperventilation. i wasnt hyperventilating before this happened. also never hyperventilated.
not sure if you read the whole OP or just the TLDR i had painful diarrhea on the day of my last dose the day my left shoulder and both hands went completely numb

Last edited:
OP
B

beta pandemic

i dont believe it is the vitamin e thats the issue. i had been supplementing months with only benefit (acetate powder form). it took only few days of this unique e supp for my body to decide enough is enough. so it tells me it must be the gmo source or something else in the product unlisted i had a reaction to.

Nikki

That sounds like a panic attack, any fear involved? What was heart rate? Why no antihistamines? or loading up on sugar if you truly thought your heart was failing?

(my first panic attack I went to the ER thinking there was something wrong, my hands were seizing up my heart was racing and I struggled to get a breath, all tests were normal, they gave me a benzo)

Are you supposed to eat sugar if you think you are having a heart attack? I had some bad chest pains and strange sensations in my body (like shooting pain into throat and/or arm) recently. I rubbed DMSO on my chest and was fine in minutes. It's a little scary living alone and going to bed with chest pains. I never know if I should call an ambulance or call someone to come over and keep an eye one me. The first time it happened, I thought for sure it was my heart. It came and went in differing intensity over several hours. The nurse said to to the ER. I did not go to ER but within a few days I hurt my foot and went to an urgent care. They checked my blood and ecg and said I had no signs of recent or impending heart trouble (but LDL is a bit high). I have Kaiser and they are very good at not diagnosing things. It seems they play EVERYTHING down as part of their business model.
What do you all think? What would someone who is nervous bout heart attack and stroke keep in the emergency first aid kit? Sugar? And?

mujuro

Are you supposed to eat sugar if you think you are having a heart attack? I had some bad chest pains and strange sensations in my body (like shooting pain into throat and/or arm) recently. I rubbed DMSO on my chest and was fine in minutes. It's a little scary living alone and going to bed with chest pains. I never know if I should call an ambulance or call someone to come over and keep an eye one me. The first time it happened, I thought for sure it was my heart. It came and went in differing intensity over several hours. The nurse said to to the ER. I did not go to ER but within a few days I hurt my foot and went to an urgent care. They checked my blood and ecg and said I had no signs of recent or impending heart trouble (but LDL is a bit high). I have Kaiser and they are very good at not diagnosing things. It seems they play EVERYTHING down as part of their business model.
What do you all think? What would someone who is nervous bout heart attack and stroke keep in the emergency first aid kit? Sugar? And?
Definitely aspirin. Having been there only recently (quite a deadly interaction between erythromycin and quetiapine put me in hospital) it took months for me to feel comfortable going to bed, and all for nothing, because my heart is perfectly healthy. The mind, especially an anxious one, is fantastically powerful at convincing us we're dying, and from there an anxiogenic feedback loop is born. Chest pain is the perfect fuel for that fire, and is pretty much a universal symptom of somatic anxiety. If it helps, go stay with someone or have someone stay with you. If you ask me, tackling anxiety like that is a multifaceted issue. It's really about changing your perspective on health, trusting that your body is smart and that it knows what to do. Don't sell your body short. Take aspirin, keep PUFA low, lots of carbs and sunlight and your body will thank you. Your ~50trillion cells have got you covered.

Last edited:

tara

consequences of hyperventilation. i wasnt hyperventilating before this happened. also never hyperventilated.
not sure if you read the whole OP or just the TLDR i had painful diarrhea on the day of my last dose the day my left shoulder and both hands went completely numb

I did read the whole OP.
Not seeing how you conclude that you were not hyperventilating, or did not have a panic attack. Did you measure in some way, or do you have some other explanation? Extreme shortness of breath and feeling like suffocating is what hyperventilation feels like. Numb shoulder and hands could occur if its severe. Stuffy clogged nose and airways would fit with this.
Sometimes allergic responses can also mess with breathing in different ways, if one happens to be extra sensitive to a particular substance, so I guess that's an alternative possibility?

I have had symptoms in the past that in retrospect seem likely related to hyperventilation, but I didn't understand it at the time. I think chronic unaware hyperventilation is fairly common, and from that state, it may sometimes take only a smallish trigger to push over to a more serious state. I'm not saying there's nothing else to it, though. Something about your product may have irritated your gut and triggered diarrhea too. One way to assess unaware hyperventilation is by measuring your Buteyko Control Pause.

I'm not expressing an opinion about whether there's any possible link with GMO modification or contamination in the product - I don't know about that one way or the other. But there has to be some mechanism in the body that creates the symptoms you describe, and just saying it's GMO doesn't say much about how it caused a problem for you.

OP
B

beta pandemic

For the 3rd or 4th time: it being sourced from gm soy may or may not have anything to do with my reaction to the supplement. it couldve been from an unlisted additive. But I definitely reacted to it. The last time I had diarrhea was 3 years ago after a week course of amox prior to getting my wisdom teeth removed. Ive never in my life had the culmination of symptoms i experienced on the day of my last dose (im 25). I wont be touching the stuff ever again. I am improving day by day.

tara

For the 3rd or 4th time: it being sourced from gm soy may or may not have anything to do with my reaction to the supplement. it couldve been from an unlisted additive. But I definitely reacted to it. The last time I had diarrhea was 3 years ago after a week course of amox prior to getting my wisdom teeth removed. Ive never in my life had the culmination of symptoms i experienced on the day of my last dose (im 25). I wont be touching the stuff ever again. I am improving day by day.

OK, I have no opinion on whether GMO or other additives were at play for you. Not trying to contradict you on this point at all.
I think you are probably making a good decision to stay away from that supplement in the future, given the distress it seems to have caused or triggered for you. I am glad you are recovering well.

You seem to be upset by the suggestion that your symptoms may have been related to panic attack/hyperventilation/CO2 deficiency, possibly triggered in some way by that supplement, and to be ruling out the possibility without considering it at all. Not sure why it bothers you so much; it's just my thinking based on the symptoms you describe seeming to fit such mechanism, but you are in no way obliged to agree or follow it.

Hopefully avoiding that supplement will allow you to avoid any further such acute episodes. If you would like to be less vulnerable to having related symptoms triggered by other stressors in the future, you could consider checking out the CO2 angle if you wanted to.

Good luck.

OP
B

beta pandemic

swelling around both ankles has completely gone. stick to the powders guys. never tried topicals but i'de imagine they would be safer too. And definitely double check the source for vit e.

sladerunner69

I have dranken whole pitchers of the infamous unique e inner capsular gel and have never experienced such an embarassing defeat!

OP
B

beta pandemic

yeah i get you. some people can eat peanuts and some go into anaphylaxis. u get the point.

if this happened to me there are probably others.