Where Does The Energy Of An "increased Metabolism" Go?

Gadsie

With my limited biological and physical knowledge, I'd say that food energy has to either go to movement, heat, or chemical (fat) storage, unless of course you just don't absorb the calories and poop them out. When one's metabolism increases through a peatarian diet, do all those extra calories burned go to heat? I eat about 3500 calories a day, not really active and I stay pretty lean on a fat-free skim milk and potato diet. If I were to follow the conventional 2500 calorie advice, I'd probably waste away. Yet my temperature is not uniquely high.

Last edited:

yerrag

An increased metabolism would be used for making the body more whole by regeneration. Internally, it would be to repair and renew tissues, to improve the functions of organs and to make the various systems working in an optimal state. Having made the organism more robust internally, the remaining energy would be used to make the externals more appealing. Skin and hair would improve. Certainly, a lot of energy is used by the brain. The brain's capacity would also be enhanced.

OP
Gadsie

Gadsie

An increased metabolism would be used for making the body more whole by regeneration. Internally, it would be to repair and renew tissues, to improve the functions of organs and to make the various systems working in an optimal state. Having made the organism more robust internally, the remaining energy would be used to make the externals more appealing. Skin and hair would improve. Certainly, a lot of energy is used by the brain. The brain's capacity would also be enhanced.
Hm, but that wouldn't cost that many calories. Producing a tiny bit of extra tissue doesn't take that much energy, unless you're talking about pounds of new tissue, which is not the case. And even if it did, it would only be for a while until the tissues are renewed.

Mito

Hm, but that wouldn't cost that many calories. Producing a tiny bit of extra tissue doesn't take that much energy, unless you're talking about pounds of new tissue, which is not the case. And even if it did, it would only be for a while until the tissues are renewed.
The energy goes to create order in the body. It takes a lot of energy (calories) to do it because of the laws of thermodynamics. This podcast explains (only 8 minutes long).
Listen to Thermodynamics | MWM Energy Metabolism Cliff Notes #1 from Mastering Nutrition in Podcasts. Mastering Nutrition by Chris Masterjohn, PhD on Apple Podcasts

yerrag

How much energy is needed for basal metabolism? How much difference in energy is involved for the body to maintain a higher temperature of 1 degree? Is that energy necessarily going to be measured as a weight difference? How much energy is needed for phagocytes to be produced and to be used to eat up newly formed cancers? Or to destroy pathogens? Hmmm...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals