Harvard Psychiatrist: All Mental Disease is Metabolic/Bioenergetic Disease

haidut

Forum Supporter
It is always nice to see mainstream medicine plagiarize from Dr. Peat attempt to right its course after decades-long mistakes. While the genetic dogma still rules supreme in medicine's attitude towards most "physical" diseases, the utter failure of the "serotonin hypothesis" and its dear offspring (the SSRI drug class) seems to be driving a revolution of sorts in psychiatry. A very prominent psychiatrist from Harvard University has recently published a book in which he makes the "novel" (and very bold, considering the implications to his career) claim that if one was to look at the totality of published/available evidence, one would inevitably come to the conclusion that all mental disease is nothing by a symptom of low brain energy (hypometabolism). Moreover, as the doctor writes in his book, even if we subscribe to the "serotonin hypothesis" (or any other chemical imbalance hypothesis, for that matter), metabolism is still the driving factor as everything the cell does and the mind-altering factors (GABA, dopamine, serotonin, glutamate, cortisol, estrogen, etc) it produces is downstream of its mitochondrial activity - i.e. a metabolic downstream effect. As such, the doctor makes the call for basically ditching drugs and instead using metabolic interventions, avoiding stress, proper diet, etc as the main tools for treating (curing?) mental disease. In support of his claims, the doctors provides a shocking case study of severe, treatment-resistant schizophrenia of 2 patients being put into full remission by using only dietary modifications. Of course, the doctor neglects to mention that this evidence has been available for a VERY long time, and metabolic approaches have been used decades ago to treat/cure mental illness, only to be completely "shadow-banned" by the medical-industrial complex.

You know, articles like this sound almost like the "Pandemic Amnesty" piece published not long-ago, which basically called for a change in public health (and social) direction due to catastrophic failure in past approaches, though without admitting any guilt. So, psychiatry is now (sneakily) offering us a peace deal, as if nothing happened, promising to actually help us in the future through proper treatments. Though, if all mental disease is metabolic disease then psychiatry is now admitting that medicine as a profession has been directly making us all ill for decades through stress, poor diet recommendations, environmental pollution, and toxic drugs. Do we take this "peace offer" or do we go our own way?

Brain Energy: A Revolutionary Breakthrough in Understanding Mental Health--and Improving Treatment for Anxiety, Depression, OCD, PTSD, and More
Chronic Schizophrenia Put Into Remission Without Medication
Brain Energy: The Metabolic Theory of Mental Illness

"...If you think this is too pessimistic, it’s important to note that depression is now the single most disabling illness—above heart failure, back pain, cancer, and other conditions—even though we have dozens of antidepressants, different types of psychotherapy, electroconvulsive therapy, transcranial magnetic stimulation, ketamine, and other treatments available. Although the problems with access to mental health care might explain some of these increases, even when people get treatment, it often fails to put illnesses into full and lasting remission."

"...In the just released book, Brain Energy, I argue that mental disorders are metabolic disorders of the brain. This new theory integrates decades of clinical, neuroscience, genetic, and metabolic research. It includes all of the biological, psychological, and social factors that we know play a role in mental illness and combines them into one unifying theory. This new understanding answers questions that have long plagued the mental health field, but also offers new treatments, ones that come with the hope of long-term healing as opposed to just symptom reduction. This new understanding also helps us understand the connections between mental health and physical health.

"...Although many people think metabolism is “burning calories” and related to weight, it’s actually much more than that. Metabolism is the process that all living organisms use to convert food into energy or building blocks for proteins, membranes, and other cell parts. It is fundamental to the definition of life. When there are problems with metabolism, there will be problems in the way cells function. I argue that metabolic dysfunction in brain cells can explain all of the symptoms of mental illness. Although metabolism is extraordinarily complex and involves numerous chemical reactions and pathways, it turns out that there is an easier way to understand metabolism, and that is through tiny organelles in most of our cells called mitochondria. They are the primary regulators of metabolism. Doing a deep dive into the science of mitochondria helps us understand all of the factors related to mental illness.For example, mitochondria play a critical role in the production and regulation of neurotransmitters, such as serotonin, dopamine, and GABA. They also play a key role in the production of key hormones, such as cortisol, estrogen, testosterone, and progesterone. Mitochondria actually help to control the expression of genes in the cell nucleus and they also play key roles in inflammation. By better understanding the science of metabolism and mitochondria, we can finally connect the dots of mental illness."

"...The much more exciting news about this theory, in my view, is that it opens the door to new treatments. Interventions such as diet, exercise, stress reduction, sleep management, and reducing substance use can effectively treat mental disorders in many people. You might be thinking that this is nothing new; we already knew most of that. However, understanding the details of this science can lead to new and surprising treatments, such as dietary interventions to treat disorders like schizophrenia and alcoholism, which on the surface don’t seem like they are related to diet. Some patients with schizophrenia have experienced full and lasting remission of symptoms off antipsychotic medications for years now, as highlighted in this Psychology Today post."

Last edited:

miquelangeles

I believe that a large majority of diseases (not just mental) are a symptom low brain energy. The brain is the largest reservoir of electricity in the body and it controls all the body's functions.

Badger

It is always nice to see mainstream medicine plagiarize from Dr. Peat attempt to right its course after decades-long mistakes. While the genetic dogma still rules supreme in medicine's attitude towards most "physical" diseases, the utter failure of the "serotonin hypothesis" and its dear offspring (the SSRI drug class) seems to be driving a revolution of sorts in psychiatry. A very prominent psychiatrist from Harvard University has recently published a book in which he makes the "novel" (and very bold, considering the implications to his career) claim that if one was to look at the totality of published/available evidence, one would inevitably come to the conclusion that all mental disease is nothing by a symptom of low brain energy (hypometabolism). Moreover, as the doctor writes in his book, even if we subscribe to the "serotonin hypothesis" (or any other chemical imbalance hypothesis, for that matter), metabolism is still the driving factor as everything the cell does and the mind-altering factors (GABA, dopamine, serotonin, glutamate, cortisol, estrogen, etc) it produces is downstream of its mitochondrial activity - i.e. a metabolic downstream effect. As such, the doctor makes the call for basically ditching drugs and instead using metabolic interventions, avoiding stress, proper diet, etc as the main tools for treating (curing?) mental disease. In support of his claims, the doctors provides a shocking case study of severe, treatment-resistant schizophrenia of 2 patients being put into full remission by using only dietary modifications.

You know, articles like this sound almost like the "Pandemic Amnesty" piece published not long-ago, which basically called for a change in public health (and social) direction due to catastrophic failure in past approaches, though without admitting any guilt. So, psychiatry is now (sneakily) offering us a peace deal, as if nothing happened, promising to actually help us in the future through proper treatments. Though, if all mental disease is metabolic disease then psychiatry is now admitting that medicine as a profession has been directly making us all ill for decades through stress, poor diet recommendations, environmental pollution, and toxic drugs. Do we take this "peace offer" or do we go our own way?

Brain Energy: A Revolutionary Breakthrough in Understanding Mental Health--and Improving Treatment for Anxiety, Depression, OCD, PTSD, and More
Chronic Schizophrenia Put Into Remission Without Medication
Brain Energy: The Metabolic Theory of Mental Illness

"...If you think this is too pessimistic, it’s important to note that depression is now the single most disabling illness—above heart failure, back pain, cancer, and other conditions—even though we have dozens of antidepressants, different types of psychotherapy, electroconvulsive therapy, transcranial magnetic stimulation, ketamine, and other treatments available. Although the problems with access to mental health care might explain some of these increases, even when people get treatment, it often fails to put illnesses into full and lasting remission."

"...In the just released book, Brain Energy, I argue that mental disorders are metabolic disorders of the brain. This new theory integrates decades of clinical, neuroscience, genetic, and metabolic research. It includes all of the biological, psychological, and social factors that we know play a role in mental illness and combines them into one unifying theory. This new understanding answers questions that have long plagued the mental health field, but also offers new treatments, ones that come with the hope of long-term healing as opposed to just symptom reduction. This new understanding also helps us understand the connections between mental health and physical health.

"...Although many people think metabolism is “burning calories” and related to weight, it’s actually much more than that. Metabolism is the process that all living organisms use to convert food into energy or building blocks for proteins, membranes, and other cell parts. It is fundamental to the definition of life. When there are problems with metabolism, there will be problems in the way cells function. I argue that metabolic dysfunction in brain cells can explain all of the symptoms of mental illness. Although metabolism is extraordinarily complex and involves numerous chemical reactions and pathways, it turns out that there is an easier way to understand metabolism, and that is through tiny organelles in most of our cells called mitochondria. They are the primary regulators of metabolism. Doing a deep dive into the science of mitochondria helps us understand all of the factors related to mental illness.For example, mitochondria play a critical role in the production and regulation of neurotransmitters, such as serotonin, dopamine, and GABA. They also play a key role in the production of key hormones, such as cortisol, estrogen, testosterone, and progesterone. Mitochondria actually help to control the expression of genes in the cell nucleus and they also play key roles in inflammation. By better understanding the science of metabolism and mitochondria, we can finally connect the dots of mental illness."

"...The much more exciting news about this theory, in my view, is that it opens the door to new treatments. Interventions such as diet, exercise, stress reduction, sleep management, and reducing substance use can effectively treat mental disorders in many people. You might be thinking that this is nothing new; we already knew most of that. However, understanding the details of this science can lead to new and surprising treatments, such as dietary interventions to treat disorders like schizophrenia and alcoholism, which on the surface don’t seem like they are related to diet. Some patients with schizophrenia have experienced full and lasting remission of symptoms off antipsychotic medications for years now, as highlighted in this Psychology Today post."
I have a copy of the book and while I have yet to finish it, the index shows no reference to Dr. Peat. When I first heard the author interviewed on Tim Ferris's show 2-3 weeks ago, I wondered if he knew of Dr. Peat's writings or maybe did, and ripped him off without attribution. No mention of Dr Peat at all in interview.

ThinPicking

Grand, thank you Georgi.

This should put that "Body Keeps Score" trauma meme to bed. Or at least send it to the back foot where it belongs.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I believe that a large majority of diseases (not just mental) are a symptom low brain energy. The brain is the largest reservoir of electricity in the body and it controls all the body's functions.

Peat makes this claim in all of his books and most of his articles. In the Mind and Tissue book he talks about the Russian biologists from the early 20th century making sure to include brain function assessment in every diagnosis. Not only does the brain control everything, it is also the most sensitive to energetic depletion and most health problems manifest years/decades earlier in mental/brain dysfunction, so by evaluating the brain the disease process can be caught early and treated before it becomes structural. Sadly, none of this has been practiced in the West, but things seem to be changing lately, though very slowly.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Grand, thank you Georgi.

This should put that "Body Keeps Score" trauma meme to bed. Or at least send it to the back foot where it belongs.

Agreed. I think Peat has a quote somewhere on the forum in regards to trauma saying something along the lines that "trauma" only exists in a state of low metabolism and when energy levels are optimal one can feel however one wants to even in regards to pretty shocking events from one's past.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I have a copy of the book and while I have yet to finish it, the index shows no reference to Dr. Peat. When I first heard the author interviewed on Tim Ferris's show 2-3 weeks ago, I wondered if he knew of Dr. Peat's writings or maybe did, and ripped him off without attribution. No mention of Dr Peat at all in interview.

To me, the indisputable evidence he is "copying" directly from Peat is the line where he says that metabolism is fundamental to the very definition of life. To my knowledge, no scientists out there has made that radical claim, except Peat. There are plenty of studies discussing the importance of mitochondrial function in some diseases, or the importance of high metabolic rate for keeping weight at a healthy level. But that statement from Palmer is basically a direct rephrasing of Peat's statement that "energy and structure are interdependent at every level or life" and that nothing can be more important than understanding the very process through which a collection of cells (what our organism is) - keeps itself alive and a coherent whole - i.e. by intense metabolism. If you see in the book references to Warburg, Szent -Gyorgyi, Selye, Polyanin, etc then that would be even stronger evidence the good doctor is "copying" from Peat without properly crediting him.

Lollipop2

This is a huge admission! My my how right Peat has been all of these years. Be interesting to know what dietary interventions were used on those 2 resistant schizophrenic cases to put them in remission…

Sitaruîm

Agreed. I think Peat has a quote somewhere on the forum in regards to trauma saying something along the lines that "trauma" only exists in a state of low metabolism and when energy levels are optimal one can feel however one wants to even in regards to pretty shocking events from one's past.
This resonates a lot with me currently. Last week our cat died after a decline of a couple of months. We all loved him and it was very tough to see him become so weak, but I'm very surprised about how well I feel despite the occurrence of this tragedy.

Badger

To me, the indisputable evidence he is "copying" directly from Peat is the line where he says that metabolism is fundamental to the very definition of life. To my knowledge, no scientists out there has made that radical claim, except Peat. There are plenty of studies discussing the importance of mitochondrial function in some diseases, or the importance of high metabolic rate for keeping weight at a healthy level. But that statement from Palmer is basically a direct rephrasing of Peat's statement that "energy and structure are interdependent at every level or life" and that nothing can be more important than understanding the very process through which a collection of cells (what our organism is) - keeps itself alive and a coherent whole - i.e. by intense metabolism. If you see in the book references to Warburg, Szent -Gyorgyi, Selye, Polyanin, etc then that would be even stronger evidence the good doctor is "copying" from Peat without properly crediting him.
"If you see in the book references to Warburg, Szent -Gyorgyi, Selye, Polyanin, etc then that would be even stronger evidence the good doctor is "copying" from Peat without properly crediting him."

Will look for it when time permits and report back.

Robert5493

I've not read this book or listened to him, and not expressing an opinion on whether or not he plagiarized yet this I don't believe is evidence of it.

Metabolism being a defining characteristic of life has always been true in my lifetime. I remember learning this in early high school, and am certain it is listed in most all biology textbooks as a defining characteristic of life.

edit, 1993 biology textbook.
Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 11.26.45 AM.png

Last edited:

Thalgo

I listen to the book on audible, I think it's a great introduction to the topic but adds very little on terms of actionable steps to get your energy back. First 6 chapters are also really boring

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I've not read this book or listened to him, and not expressing an opinion on whether or not he plagiarized yet this I don't believe is evidence of it.

Metabolism being a defining characteristic of life has always been true in my lifetime. I remember learning this in early high school, and am certain it is listed in most all biology textbooks as a defining characteristic of life.

edit, 1993 biology textbook.
View attachment 45225

I meant in the context of health/disease, as the OP is about that. The function/structure indivisibility is certainly not something medicine currently teaches. In fact, medicine considers them completely separate - i.e. if you have a problem and a battery of tests and imaging/examinations do not discover a structural cause, then it is labelled as functional and allopathic medicine largely gives up on that patient and/or forwards them to the quack-y industry of "functional doctors". To my knowledge, only Peat (and this guy) makes the claim that metabolism is fundamental for health/disease.

Validus

Great, so what actionable steps can be taken? Many of us "follow a good diet, exercise, attempt to reduce stress and improve our sleep" but without grand steps toward improving our metabolic health.

Any actionable steps? Lowest hanging fruit?

Robert5493

I meant in the context of health/disease, as the OP is about that. The function/structure indivisibility is certainly not something medicine currently teaches. In fact, medicine considers them completely separate - i.e. if you have a problem and a battery of tests and imaging/examinations do not discover a structural cause, then it is labelled as functional and allopathic medicine largely gives up on that patient and/or forwards them to the quack-y industry of "functional doctors". To my knowledge, only Peat (and this guy) makes the claim that metabolism is fundamental for health/disease.
I see thank you. I figured I must have been missing the link you intended to communicate.
I understood what you posted in the literal sense and I saw nothing unique nor inspired in the sentence
"It is fundamental to the definition of life. When there are problems with metabolism, there will be problems in the way cells function. "
The paragraph taken as a whole and limited to higher organisms utilizing mitochondria, I get a better idea of your position.

Thalgo

Great, so what actionable steps can be taken? Many of us "follow a good diet, exercise, attempt to reduce stress and improve our sleep" but without grand steps toward improving our metabolic health.

Any actionable steps? Lowest hanging fruit?
Sleep well, get under the Sun, reduce inflammation, etc... The worst part for me was when he mention "if you have (desease name) , talk with your health care provider to define steps to reduce the inflammation" and proceeded to list a few deseases.

So no real actionable step. But the goal of the book is to make people realize that all mental issues (and by extention all health issues) are in a way or another related to mitochondrial function.

So I ve been looking into thiamine (Lonsdale, Marrs, the late Constantini) and if you get the dose right along with the co-factors, vitamin b1 seems to be the low hanging fruit for mitochondrial functional. Maybe look into D-ribose as an adjunct.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
vitamin b1 seems to be the low hanging fruit for mitochondrial functional

Together with B2 and B3, as 100% of ATP production depends on those 3 vitamins. Quinones like methylene blue, vitamin K, emodin, tetracyclines, etc act as super-catalysts that speed up the entire metabolic chain, especially if combined with the vitamins, and thus it is not surprising all mentioned quinones have displayed antidepressant, anti-anxiety and anti-psychotic effects.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals