What's Better - Real Bone Broth Gelatin Or Powdered/Instant

Glassy

In my opinion broth is better if it be from soft connective tissue, it tastes better and needs shorter cooking time.

Beef feet(with skin on)are best in my opinion , i remove bones and much as possible, and after cooking it remove fats from broth.

Cooking it in pressure cooker for 2h is enough.

Its really rich gelatinous food , try it if you can find it where you live.

-------

Otherwise gelatin pwoder is good option too.

I’ve recently found bones in my local supermarket that are basically the large joints from cows. They cut the bone on either side and sell them in packs of 2. After 40mins in the pressure cooker the joints fall to pieces exposing gooey material and what I’m assuming is tendon. A lot of this gooeyness doesnt dissolve even after chopping into smaller pieces and putting through the pressure cooker for another 40 mins. I’m not sure if it’s a solubility issue or if it’s because the liquid is close to being saturated with the collagen/Gelatin. I personally find this material quite tasty to chew/eat and would leave it in the soup/broth but my wife and daughter aren’t too partial to it. After straining I add powdered Gelatin to get a really good set.

@Amazoniac - that’s a fair amount of fluoride when you look at it that way and could theoretically be a source in the Powdered gelatine (which presumably has to be boiled in tap water).

lvysaur

By the way, that broth you're showing looks preety murky and greasy, almost like coconut oil. Broth should be almost translucent

You must have never cooked bones before

lvysaur

I personally find this material quite tasty to chew/eat and would leave it in the soup/broth but my wife and daughter aren’t too partial to it.

IMO, it tastes great if it's a ruminant animal. But if it's a pig or chicken, strain that ***t (especially with pigs, all that boar taint)

Glassy

IMO, it tastes great if it's a ruminant animal. But if it's a pig or chicken, strain that ***t (especially with pigs, all that boar taint)

Haha I wouldn’t bother with pig bone and don’t use chicken bones any more. I don’t mind using some of the fat that rises to the top (I figure it probably has a fair amount of oil soluable vitamins from the marrow, etc.

I don’t actually know what the substance is, just that it has a chewed fat like texture without being greasy and immensely satiating (I can only eat so much of it before I find myself putting a lot of it in the dog’s bowl (he deserves the goodness too). It’s not crunchy like chicken cartilage nor particularly tough. I’ve only come across it in these large joints which I’m assuming must be the knees of the beast. I’m guessing it’s liagment and tendon similar to what you’d find in a good Vietnamese Pho

noordinary

Guru, I just realized something: the wasser that you use to prepare your homemade broth cannot be fluoridated.
"The standard dose of this poison in your water is 1 part per million, 1 ppm; but according to law your water can contain up to 4 ppm, with no violation."
It would punch your thyroid harder than Great Lakes' collagen, giving you 1-4mg for each liter used.
Thanx for pointing that out.
I have full house water filters installed in the basement, several huge tanks and one extra special for fluoride. I still think it was a good investment, and not only because of cooking, but baths and showers as well.
If i couldnt afford a good filter, i would use bottled spring water for cooking, i was doing that before i got filters installed anyways.

B

Braveheart

In my opinion broth is better if it be from soft connective tissue, it tastes better and needs shorter cooking time.

Beef feet(with skin on)are best in my opinion , i remove bones and much as possible, and after cooking it remove fats from broth.

Cooking it in pressure cooker for 2h is enough.

Its really rich gelatinous food , try it if you can find it where you live.

-------

Otherwise gelatin pwoder is good option too.
Cow foot soup very popular here in Belize. I prefer shank from grassfed beef in slow cooker over night.

paymanz

Cow foot soup very popular here in Belize. I prefer shank from grassfed beef in slow cooker over night.
i used to cook them overnight too , but recently tried pressure cooker and it turned out great!
I’ve recently found bones in my local supermarket that are basically the large joints from cows. They cut the bone on either side and sell them in packs of 2. After 40mins in the pressure cooker the joints fall to pieces exposing gooey material and what I’m assuming is tendon. A lot of this gooeyness doesnt dissolve even after chopping into smaller pieces and putting through the pressure cooker for another 40 mins. I’m not sure if it’s a solubility issue or if it’s because the liquid is close to being saturated with the collagen/Gelatin. I personally find this material quite tasty to chew/eat and would leave it in the soup/broth but my wife and daughter aren’t too partial to it. After straining I add powdered Gelatin to get a really good set.

@Amazoniac - that’s a fair amount of fluoride when you look at it that way and could theoretically be a source in the Powdered gelatine (which presumably has to be boiled in tap water).
that sounds great!

anyfit

whenever i eat oxtail soup or goulash/stew with connective tissue meat i get knocked out and fall asleep very easily , powdered gelatin doesn't seem to have this effect for me

Glassy

So in short, what is the safest option for contaminants?

In terms of contaminants, I think nothing beats growing your own beast on organic pasture and cooking the bones and joints in clean water. The next cleanest would be sourcing pastured and/or organic bones and making your own stock.

Commercial dehydrated gelatine is uber convenient though and we go through about a 1lb per week mainly in the form of jello/jelly made with pasteurised fruit juice. I make bone broth in big batches occasionally but it’s a bit of a pain (pretty cheap though and tastes great in sauces and soups).

If you’re concerned about contaminants look for a certificate of analysis.

I live in Australia and the supplier I like the most supplies an almost granulated form of gelatine product called “digestive health”. They also have a “bone strength” product and a “joint health” product (I can’t remember the exact naming but you get the picture - different gelatine/collagen for different purposes). I get the digestive health one because it’s gelatine rather than hydrolysed collagen and I prefer gelatine. I personally believe it’s just marketing but I’ve been meaning to ask you lot if you think the form or source (ie bone, skin or joints) affects the product much. Here’s their site - Australian Gelatin Supplements | Collagen Australia

jyb

In terms of contaminants, I think nothing beats growing your own beast on organic pasture and cooking the bones and joints in clean water. The next cleanest would be sourcing pastured and/or organic bones and making your own stock.

Is that true? RP warns specifically about bones. In contrast, you can find commercial gelatin that may not be from organic pasture, but only from the skin not bones.

L

lollipop

Homemade bone broth gelatin helped me to sleep very heavily, and my digestion improved greatly - overall a boon to my health/well-being, whereas I'm still not experiencing any of that with hydrolysate.
+1 on this.

L

lollipop

US Wellness meats has a frozen bone broth from grassfed/grass finished cows. I buy that one and use as a base for my stew. Good stuff.

Luckytype

I have been using NuNaturals collagen and gelatin as well as in the winter creating well salted oxtail soup with some well cooked onion and some cayenne pepper as it cooks over a couple hours.

I would put it in the fridge and be able to skim the fat layer off in the morning, plus I could get the broth to giggle when cold if cooked enough.

I am almost certain I was feeling better when I was having like 4-5 cups of the oxtail broth per day with meals. The gelatinous segements of the tail/spine fell clean off the vertebrae being cooked so long.

Eating it with jasmine rice was amazing, it also paired beautifully if I ate it with tuna sushi. So good that I have been craving it lately.

Glassy

Is that true? RP warns specifically about bones. In contrast, you can find commercial gelatin that may not be from organic pasture, but only from the skin not bones.

It’s the connective tissue on the bones that you’re wanting to disolve in the water not the bone structure itself (which is where the heavy metals are concentrated). Joints and skin would be ideal sources in my opinion while hooves and bones would not. Commercial gelatine sources don’t tend to specify what part of the animal the gelatine is sourced from but focus on the type of animal or the locations and conditions it was grown in. I imagine even organic cows would accumulate lead in their bones.

jyb

It’s the connective tissue on the bones that you’re wanting to disolve in the water not the bone structure itself (which is where the heavy metals are concentrated). Joints and skin would be ideal sources in my opinion while hooves and bones would not. Commercial gelatine sources don’t tend to specify what part of the animal the gelatine is sourced from but focus on the type of animal or the locations and conditions it was grown in. I imagine even organic cows would accumulate lead in their bones.

Great Lakes Gelatin is from beef hide. Other pork gelatin brands I've seen state skin specifically.

tara

1 cup = 8 oz fluid it may be any amount of grams, depending on the substance.
In some places they distinguish fluid ounces (fl oz) as (now archaic) units of volume (1 fl oz = 29.57 ml), from ounces (oz) as (also archaic) units of weight (1 oz= 28.35 mg). For those of you not accustomed to using international standard units, including the 'fl' for volume for the volume measure might help reduce confusion. :)
(I don't know which substance or pressure you have to have to make one fl oz of volume correspond to 1 oz of weight.)

After 40mins in the pressure cooker the joints fall to pieces exposing gooey material and what I’m assuming is tendon. A lot of this gooeyness doesnt dissolve even after chopping into smaller pieces and putting through the pressure cooker for another 40 mins. I’m not sure if it’s a solubility issue or if it’s because the liquid is close to being saturated with the collagen/Gelatin. I personally find this material quite tasty to chew/eat ...
I've only slow cooked at normal pressure, but I think I know what you mean, and yes, delicious.

noordinary

Just an update:
After listening to one of the last KMUD radio interviews with Ray Peat (thanks @Dan Wich !)
I started adding fish head to my broth (salmon head, easy to get during the season here in Seattle) 2 hours before it's done. Fish heads cook fast.
* i get much more liquid fat (pufa) in the broth, but the gelatinous part pushes all the fat on top and i just toss it.

So, overall I feel the difference, broth was and is one of my favorite foods, I crave it when i don't have it every day, i noticed more energy, better moods, better skin.
Give it a try, and share your results, so far i love it!

michael94

Just an update:
After listening to one of the last KMUD radio interviews with Ray Peat (thanks @Dan Wich !)
I started adding fish head to my broth (salmon head, easy to get during the season here in Seattle) 2 hours before it's done. Fish heads cook fast.
* i get much more liquid fat (pufa) in the broth, but the gelatinous part pushes all the fat on top and i just toss it.

So, overall I feel the difference, broth was and is one of my favorite foods, I crave it when i don't have it every day, i noticed more energy, better moods, better skin.

What is the source of your avatar

L

lollipop

Just an update:

Great to hear your update! Was missing your voice on RPF. Hope you are well :):

Edit: I have been making a lot of bone broth lately from local pastured chickens. These chickens actually run around a very large field. There is virtually no fat. A small bit but not much.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals