What's Better - Real Bone Broth Gelatin Or Powdered/Instant

noordinary

What is the source of your avatar
Hey, can't even give credit to the artist, unknown to me, but that's a picture of sapiosexual - (n.) one who is attracted to or aroused by intelligence in others.

noordinary

Great to hear your update! Was missing your voice on RPF. Hope you are well :):

Edit: I have been making a lot of bone broth lately from local pastured chickens. These chickens actually run around a very large field. There is virtually no fat. A small bit but not much.
Hey Lisa, i'm fantastic, thank you! Hope you are doing even better than i am!
Have been following Susana Frioni and listening to her podcast for several months. Love everything she does! Check her out if you haven't already.

L

lollipop

Hey Lisa, i'm fantastic, thank you! Hope you are doing even better than i am!
Have been following Susana Frioni and listening to her podcast for several months. Love everything she does! Check her out if you haven't already.
Cool. I will. Thank you :):

noordinary

FYI turned out the fish’s thyroid gland is actually in fish’s head... idk how similar fish’s thyroid to mammalian thyroid, but maybe i will start using no more than 1 (one) salmon’s head a week. More research needed. Please chime in if you have more info on the subject.

noordinary

Also ordered a box of lamb feet, thinking it would be a better alternative to beef feet that i usually use, turned out to be a total failure taste wise, and flavor wise too, did not like it at all (i like lamb neck stewand lamb ribs), making broth out of lamb feet for the dogs now. Beef feet broth has a milky aftertaste that i really enjoy.
And ordered two lamb heads (tried to order lamb brains, could not get those, but the butcher offered the full heads), i bet my local buther thinks i’m nuts lol
Will add lamb brains instead of salmon heads to the broth and report.

mujuro

I experienced a migraine on two occasions from eating bone broth that had been in the fridge some 5 days. The first time, it didn’t occur to me that it might be the broth, since I had eaten plenty of it before with no issue. The second time, I knew it was the broth but didn’t know why. Then I figured out that I had always consumed the broth within 48 hours of finishing the cook. I think I had been cooking them for too long anyway. So the histamine and tyramine is a problem under some circumstances.

How long do you guys cook the bones and how quickly do you consume it? I’m concerned that the granulated beef gelatin I’m using now is not agreeing with me.

Glassy

I do a huge batch and cook it slowly for 36 odd hrs. I think it’s generally advised to be around 10hrs because of the heavy metals (ie lead) within the bone structure (but this would depend on the bones you’re using). I then strain the bones and reduce it by about half before heavily salting. I freeze half and put the other half in the fridge. I’ve recently been adding granulated gelatine to the concentrated broth to increase the strength of the set and help preserve the broth while refrigerated.

I’ve used broth that’s been refrigerated for 4 weeks but I use it in cooking so it gets cooked again. I have a batch on the stove now and will probably set it in 1L containers before popping out and freezing this time. I just hate throwing the stuff out but don’t like keeping it that long unfrozen either.

I’ve not made a batch of broth in months and just been using granulated gelatine in cooking that I bloom before dissolving in a sauce. Once it’s bloomed, disolved and then set it behaves quite differently to the dried powder or granules. I suspect this might be what upsets people’s digestion as it really does form quite the glue in the pot sometimes and is hard to work with until it’s dissolved. We love my home made jelly and no-one in my family has issues from eating it but we don’t have any underlying digestive issues either that we’re aware of.

L

lollipop

I experienced a migraine on two occasions from eating bone broth that had been in the fridge some 5 days. The first time, it didn’t occur to me that it might be the broth, since I had eaten plenty of it before with no issue. The second time, I knew it was the broth but didn’t know why. Then I figured out that I had always consumed the broth within 48 hours of finishing the cook. I think I had been cooking them for too long anyway. So the histamine and tyramine is a problem under some circumstances.

How long do you guys cook the bones and how quickly do you consume it? I’m concerned that the granulated beef gelatin I’m using now is not agreeing with me.
I consume instantly by using as a base for beef stew, chicken soup, or as a base instead of water for cooking my white jasmine rice. Otherwise I feeeze it immediately and put in small jars to take out as needed.

tara

I think I might be sensitive to broth that's been left too long too. Usually aim to freeze what I won't eat within 2 days. Did you read Peat's article on meat and bioactive amines?
I usually cook it for 2-4 hours. That is, I cook for 1-2 hours till the meat and gristle cooks. Then pull what I can of the meat and soft collagen off and refrigerate, pull apart joints etc, then boil the bones for another hour or two till the rest of the gristle softens.

noordinary

I think I might be sensitive to broth that's been left too long too. Usually aim to freeze what I won't eat within 2 days. Did you read Peat's article on meat and bioactive amines?
I usually cook it for 2-4 hours. That is, I cook for 1-2 hours till the meat and gristle cooks. Then pull what I can of the meat and soft collagen off and refrigerate, pull apart joints etc, then boil the bones for another hour or two till the rest of the gristle softens.
Could you please post a link to Ray Peat's article on meat and bioactive amines? I tried to find it and couldn't.

tara

mujuro

Wow okay I may be going too far then. I’ve been cooking it til I can crumble the bones with my hands. So we’re talking 8 hours or more. I get 1.5L+ of solid-as-hell gelatin, but it’s clearly not how to go about it. The labor and cost of yielding that much makes it more expensive than buying plain beef granular gelatin.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals