What Is The Best Form Of Magnesium To Take?

Inaut

I've started using mag oxides with meals and the butt pains caused by other forms of mag is non existant. I'm only taking 300mg of mag oxide a day though

scoobydoo

So I've experimented a lot with magnesium and this is what I've found:

Mag citrate, oxide: not very bioavailable, can easily cause disaster pants

Magnesium Bicarbonate: If you have a good source of water this can be great. It is tricky to find the right dosage however and is somewhat inconvenient to have to make everyday.

Magnesium glycinate: Before bed has worked great for me with this and seems to really help with GABA production. However, I recently discovered that high doses can deplete B6 in the body due to it being in glycine form. This may or may not be an issue depending on dosages used. It also does not seem to have a very long lasting affect. This could simply be because I waste magnesium like crazy for whatever reason. This one is probably also the most convenient and easy to source good quality.

Magnesium threonate: Makes my brain feel pretty great especially on stressful days or when I am having trouble falling asleep. Not sure systemically if it is as powerful as something like Magnesium glycinate

topical Magnesium (water based): This one I have found to be really great to do right after a shower, and applied 30 minutes before bed. Really was a saviour for quite a while with my insomnia. This sprayed 20-30 times on shoulders + legs and a little CBD oil was my go to for quite a while. Now less CBD and more magnesium. This, like the glycinate doesn't appear to affect magnesium levels greatly long term (short half life)

Magnoil: Just arrived in the mail, and am excited to see its affects! I think this will probably be my favorite, and most effective one.

Sofia

I tolerate only magnesium carbonate; magnesium oxide and magnesium glycinate gave me diarrhea, magnesium citrate was ok for guts , but its not good on long term according to RP. I tried magnesium ascorbate, was ok, but too small amounts of magnesium and expensive.

Kingpinguin

Magnesium oxide gets a bad rep. You do absorb more magnesium ions from it than any other magnesium. Reason why it can easily give you the soft stools is because of the fact that its easy to overdose and delivers much more magnesium per dose.

E526F927-9452-4275-99B0-FB2830E2A02D.jpeg

Look at the attachment. All other magnesium supplements are so low in magnesium so even if the absorption a little lower you are still getting more magnesium absorbed.

Magnesium Oxide Delivers More Magnesium with Far Fewer Pills

Follow the link and read for yourself.
imo magnesium oxide works just as good as all other mag supplements.

you dont need such high doses with oxide to get benefits.

yerrag

Stay away from magnesium chloride. It's a very acidic load, and you have to understand acid-base balance to appreciate why you can't supplement with this. As with supplementation, you plan to take it daily, and the acidic load will accumulate and your will have an acidic blood/ecf.

guapeat

I have tried them all, but the most noticable effect comes with magnesium glycinate. Adding half a teaspoon taurine and a pinch of p5p (b6) enhances the effect pretty well.

Kingpinguin

Very good chart!

yes so according to that chart you absorb just as much magnesium from 300 mg magnesium oxide as you would with for example 600mg carbonate or even 1200 magnesium glycinate.
I promise anyone taking 1200 mag glycinate will also need to do more frequeny toilet visits.
Only upside is that you are also getting much glycine

Lucas

Stay away from magnesium chloride. It's a very acidic load, and you have to understand acid-base balance to appreciate why you can't supplement with this. As with supplementation, you plan to take it daily, and the acidic load will accumulate and your will have an acidic blood/ecf.
I take it oraly before bed and sleep very well

Nebula

In my experience the form and quantity of magnesium is completely irrelevant. Magnesium status is fully dependent on thyroid/ATP levels and it takes relatively little of any magnesium form to achieve optimal effects. It’s a waste of time worrying about magnesium if you haven’t figured out how to raise your thyroid/atp. It won’t be utilized regardless of absorption. Figuring out how to unblock whatever is interfering with your metabolism is the priority imo.
I have very good results with even very small amounts of Magnesium Chloride when I regularly do baking soda baths or consume baking soda. In my experience sodium and carbonate retention/utilization is the prerequisite to make magnesium be effective in small amounts. Both require high thyroid levels to retain and maybe low serotonin/aldosterone. The strongest reaction I’ve ever felt to magnesium was when I was taking BCAAs, Cypro, and/or progesterone. I can taste a lot of calcium phosphate being pushed out through my saliva, suggesting the calcium antagonism of the magnesium is working very well.

Magnesium obviously isn’t a cure all. It can’t do much on its own without the right energetic conditions.

Last edited:

Otterbutt

I've found that magnesium threonate (500mg before bed, though I usually see the recommended serving at 2000 spread throughout the day) makes me tired for bed, helps me sleep longer, and if I wake (i.e. to pee), I easily fall right back asleep.
I've recommended it to two other people I know who struggle with getting and staying asleep and they love it.

The only other magnesium I've really experimented with is in Epsom Salts (magnesium sulfate?) and it always makes me woozy and my heart flip floppy with the recommended dose in bath.

yerrag

I take it oraly before bed and sleep very well

It depends on the dosage. Try upping your dosage to say 600-800 mg elemental therapeutic dosage and take it daily and let us know after a month. Even at 400 mg elemental dosage, you're still going to accumulate significant acid. What is the dosage you're taking?

I went a year on daily magnesium supplementation at 600mg elemental. If I were using magnesium chloride, I would be doing myself more harm than getting the benefits of magnesium supplementation.

If you do a before and after with a pH urine test strip, you'll be able to see the effect of magnesium chloride intake

I could send you an article on the acidic load of various electrolyte supplements if you're interested .

@Nebula

Last edited:

BearWithMe

Magnesium oxide gets a bad rep. You do absorb more magnesium ions from it than any other magnesium. Reason why it can easily give you the soft stools is because of the fact that its easy to overdose and delivers much more magnesium per dose.

View attachment 17160

Look at the attachment. All other magnesium supplements are so low in magnesium so even if the absorption a little lower you are still getting more magnesium absorbed.

Magnesium Oxide Delivers More Magnesium with Far Fewer Pills

Follow the link and read for yourself.
imo magnesium oxide works just as good as all other mag supplements.

you dont need such high doses with oxide to get benefits.
Wow!

Nebula

It depends on the dosage. Try upping your dosage to say 600-800 mg elemental therapeutic dosage and take it daily and let us know after a month. Even at 400 mg elemental dosage, you're still going to accumulate significant acid. What is the dosage you're taking?

I went a year on daily magnesium supplementation at 600mg elemental. If I were using magnesium chloride, I would be doing myself more harm than getting the benefits of magnesium supplementation.

If you do a before and after with a pH urine test strip, you'll be able to see the effect of magnesium chloride intake

I could send you an article on the acidic load of various electrolyte supplements if you're interested .

@Nebula
When I was having excellent results with magnesium chloride I was consuming less than 100 mg. Maybe even 50mg, which is what led me to conclude magnesium benefits are mostly dependent on having adequate sodium and bicarbonate retention, which is dependent on thyroid and maybe serotonin levels.

yerrag

When I was having excellent results with magnesium chloride I was consuming less than 100 mg. Maybe even 50mg, which is what led me to conclude magnesium benefits are mostly dependent on having adequate sodium and bicarbonate retention, which is dependent on thyroid and maybe serotonin levels.
What are the excellents results? What metrics are you monitoring? Or what were you feeling that you consider an improvement? For example, higher energy levels?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals