What is the best form of Magnesium to take for people who cannot stay asleep? I have tried several different forms with no effect.
I am also suffering from a lot of muscle soreness & fatigue after minimal activity.

…Currently trying magnesium buffered bis glycinate with L taurine. I have tried gluconate, glycinate, sulfate, succinate, chloride, citrate.

Peatful

Epsom salt baths.

youngsinatra

Maybe it’s not the magnesium, but something else. Calcium deficiency can also cause insomnia/difficulty sleeping, and in some people magnesium even aggravates that problem.

Also, muscle weakness (+ poor retention of magnesium) is a sign of hypothyroidism.

If you don't want to take a bath you can also opt to create a spray with Epson salts and purified water but I can't tell you the ratios. I personally sprayed it with 50ml of water and a teaspoon of Epson salts...I feel the effect when I apply it with topical vitamin D. You have to experiment with dosages and areas of application.

Yogi

I like the oil: more discernibly effective, easy to pour into your own spray container, easy to titrate affect-dependent-dose. I always feel uneasy taking any metal (although MG is the lightest/most reactive structural metal, it is a metal nonetheless) in pill form; plus, I never had much success with the pill form either.

An additional benefit to spray style topical application: you can better titrate, moment to moment, as the effects are more readily transparent.

Here are a couple of options similar to what I use:

Amazon product ASIN B07G7G6GJ8View: https://www.amazon.com/Horbaach-Magnesium-Premium-Sourced-Zechstein/dp/B07G7G6GJ8/ref=sr_1_8?crid=17F7Q7VG19RWG&keywords=magnesium+oil&qid=1686509831&s=hpc&sprefix=magnesium+oil%2Chpc%2C151&sr=1-8

Amazon product ASIN B07S5BDP47View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S5BDP47/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07S5BDP47&pd_rd_w=JeVe4&content-id=amzn1.sym.f734d1a2-0bf9-4a26-ad34-2e1b969a5a75&pf_rd_p=f734d1a2-0bf9-4a26-ad34-2e1b969a5a75&pf_rd_r=QQB95ZMMN1Y8GAX9APNV&pd_rd_wg=3xDmj&pd_rd_r=bb4cc1a9-17ab-4b9b-a61b-e387ff49c221&s=hpc&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw

(The exact one I use is no longer for sale on Amazon but these seem comparable.)

______________________________________________________________________________________
P.S. - The spray bottles I use:

Amazon product ASIN B08LMGGVPYView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08LMGGVPY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

P.P.S. - Is there an advantage of Epsom Salt (aside from cost) over Oil ?

Last edited:

Nfinkelstein

What @youngsinatra said --- it might not be mag deficiency. The mag chloride topically (or haidut's magnoil topically) will make me very chill within a few minutes and can assist in the wind-down to sleep, but does not keep me asleep. Waking up constantly throughout the night (if that's what is happening with you) might be thyroid deficiency, or too few calories consumed during the day. Iodine supplementation might be useful (controversial) if your sleep phases are messed up, and taurine plus theanine can help as anti-adrenaline / anti-cortisol. I have used all of these and they have improved things for me. So do nasal strips.

AlaskaJono

I concur - Epsom Salt bath, min 20+ minutes. Best advice..... I have gotten the Agricultural Magnesium Sulfate lately, because it is cheaper here in Oz. Use probably 3-4 cups, and relax...

Lately I use Life-flo from Iherb, about 20-25 sprays. From iherb "Provides approximately 70 mg of elemental magnesium for every 4 sprays or 500 mg per teaspoon. I am average size - 5'10", and notice that 400-450mg per application is best for me. Usually I get this 3 or 4 week. I need 20 minutes to let it soak in before I take a shower...... . (Also I use DMSO sometimes before the mag. oil, because of prior injuries. ) .

Try and see how you go.

aliml

Magnesium Malate is often included in supplements for fibromyalgia. This is because malic acid is part of the citric acid cycle and is thought to support energy production.

OP
F
Thanks all. I have tried most of these suggestions, except the baths. I have to assume I’m dealing with adrenal/cortisol issues and not a Magnesium difficiency.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals