What's A Quick And Easy Way To Clean The Bowels Of Endotoxin And Serotonin?

Lurker

Does activated charcoal also affect serotonin? I thought it only binded toxins, but I'm unsure if it binds serotonin too.

I don’t know if charcoal acts directly on serotonin or whether the it lowers endotoxin which leads to lower serotonin. Either way it works and works quite well.

Ray Peat approved fibers such as carrot, bamboo spots, or well cooked mushrooms would also be recommended. There are drugs such as famotidine, cyproheptadine, and tianeptine that work on serotonin directly. You can consider avoiding starch and other fibers avoidance to not feed the bacteria that produce endotoxin. Last thing I can think of is maybe try the bacteria phages. They destroy the E. coli type bacteria which then act as prebiotic for more beneficial strains.

tara

I'm not an expert, but his is how I see general strategies against excessive endotoxin:

1. Support strong digestion in the upper digestive system, so you digest food well in the upper part of the digestive system. (eg consider thyroid function, the bodies production of stomach acid and digestive enzymes, breathing pattern effects on circulation and oxygen supply to digestive system)
2. Don't overfeed the gram-negative bacteria with undigested food that they like - consider choice of foods (eg some people find reducing excessive fibre and/or starch)
3. Maintain good transit time. (Be selective about methods if you don't want to overstimulate serotonin. If extra support is needed short term, could read up on and consider aged cascara sagrada - see article linked below )
4. Sweep (eg raw carrot salad, cooked bamboo shoots, well cooked mushrooms. You can read about activated charcoal's pros and cons).
5. Eat some foods that help reduce bacteria numbers (eg a bit of saturated fat, vinegar with meals). If you kill off a lot at once, you can get increased endotoxin briefly - so that's a good time to sweep as well.
6. Maintain suitable hydration.

Serotonin can be increased by, amongst other things, stretching and friction in the gut. Also irritating foods. What irritates can vary a bit.

If you haven't read this article on Peat's site, you might want to:
Cascara, energy, cancer and the FDA's laxative abuse.

tara

I'm not an expert on serotonin either, but I think a strategy for it could include:
  • Limit foods that irritate your gut.
  • Don't go overboard on tryptophan-rich foods in relation to other amino acids. Eg include some collagen/gelatin in diet and limit muscle meats.
  • On the basis that serotonin can in part be a response to seemingly unavoidable stress, see what you can do in your life to ensure you have regular good connections with people, are doing things that are interesting and meaningful to you, are getting basic needs met, and not overwhelmed by life stress.
  • Consider anti-stress practices. Eg. some people find yoga, meditation. walking in the woods etc, relaxing in ways that make them more resilient.