What constitutes a good breakfast?

sonicyouth

All my life, breakfast was a non issue for me - who's gonna eat in the morning? Breakfast, as far as I was concerned was a middle class type thing for boring grown ups. Coffee is all I ever had for breakfast. Obviously Peat would recommend coffee after a meal. And I would do whatever it takes to have that coffee. So I will start to have breakfast.
What would constitute a great breakfast? What do you guys eat/ drink first thing? I would very much appreciate your breakfast experience and ideas.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Fresh squeezed orange juice if tolerated is an excellent start to the day along with your protein and fat source. The OJ will bring your blood sugar up fast so your liver can refill the sugar/glycogen situation. Easily digested protein so the liver will have the amino acids it needs to do the detoxing and other processes. Coconut oil.

Right now I am focusing on the liver and what it needs because its very important. So maybe even eating a bit of liver in the morning might be optimal to get the liver kicked in high gear. The B vitamins are incredibly important along with getting proper nutrition across the board.

j recently said he noticed more improvement with more nutrients. This is key to optimizing metabolic function.

J

j.

Something liquid would be good I think, RP mentioned that the blood is thick when we wake up.

OP
sonicyouth

sonicyouth

Thanks Charlie and j.
Coconut Oil (refined) is off limits for me - I have spent the past few weeks in agony before I was able to connect it. Because it is such a great oil, I have stopped it and plan to start again with the tiniest amounts, and gradually increasing in order to build tolerance.
As for breakfast, how about this:
Warm OJ
2 table spoons gelatin
A pinch of salt
Teaspoon of honey
Teaspoon of MCT oil

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
sonicyouth said:
As for breakfast, how about this:
Warm OJ
2 table spoons gelatin
A pinch of salt
Teaspoon of honey
Teaspoon of MCT oil
High quality eggs if possible. Milk is also very nutritional, and yummy. :mrgreen:

OP
sonicyouth

sonicyouth

So basically, a great breakfast would be a home made Peat style protein shake - although I would draw the line at raw egg.
Would this be good:
Warm OJ 1/2 cup
Warm milk 1/2 cup - to dissolve gelatin
2 tablespoons gelatin - 18g of protein?
Pinch of salt
Teaspoon of honey

Anything else that could go in? MCT oil?

Hell, this could be the solution to my problem of what to eat at work! I could easily mix up a few shakes during the day. With some sort of oil in them?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Boiled eggs are easy.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
sonicyouth said:
2 tablespoons gelatin - 18g of protein?

No, its 6 grams per tablespoon according to cronometer.com. Its good to figure out what your protein to sugar ratio is for that meal.

J

j.

Charlie said:
No, its 6 grams per tablespoon according to cronometer.com. Its good to figure out what your protein to sugar ratio is for that meal.

Or just go by feel and taste? That feels like counting calories.

OP
sonicyouth

sonicyouth

Hi Charlie,
I'm in UK so hard to obtain Great Lakes. I use NOW Beef G. On the back of it it claims to contain 35 calories and 9 g of protein per tablespoon.
It isn't as good as Great Lakes though.

OP
sonicyouth

sonicyouth

j. said:
Charlie said:

I am so done with counting calories. Since discovering the articles of Ray Peat, calories no longer enter my mind.
Bad things happens to people who count calories....I have the terrible health to prove it!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
j. said:
That works too. :)

sonicyouth said:
It isn't as good as Great Lakes though.
I had no problems with the NOW beef gelatin.

pboy

I was about to make a sarcastic crack and recommend the standard American breakfast...but I realized its not actually that bad, if you leave out the whole grain toast and cereal. The other stuff isn't actually that bad a recommendation

I don't really eat breakfast...but then again, I don't really eat any meal...sort of just snack and drink throughout the whole day. I get the feeling that's how most people following Peat sort of end up...the most a 'meal' is would be a piece of meat or an egg...or maybe potatoes. Naturally I start soon after I wake up. If you fall asleep on a nearly full liver and don't sleep more than like 6 hours, you might actually wake up not too hungry, in which case the coffee isn't a bad idea before a meal. It serves as a good medium to add other things you might want also...fats or sugars or whatever

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
pboy said:
...sort of just snack and drink throughout the whole day.
'
:1

OP
sonicyouth

sonicyouth

pboy said:
I was about to make a sarcastic crack and recommend the standard American breakfast...but I realized its not actually that bad, if you leave out the whole grain toast and cereal. The other stuff isn't actually that bad a recommendation

I don't really eat breakfast...but then again, I don't really eat any meal...sort of just snack and drink throughout the whole day. I get the feeling that's how most people following Peat sort of end up...the most a 'meal' is would be a piece of meat or an egg...or maybe potatoes. Naturally I start soon after I wake up. If you fall asleep on a nearly full liver and don't sleep more than like 6 hours, you might actually wake up not too hungry, in which case the coffee isn't a bad idea before a meal. It serves as a good medium to add other things you might want also...fats or sugars or whatever

Pboy
Eggs and bacon seem like a good breakfast but I prefer the vague, liquidy mini meals idea you suggest. I am still refining my food schedule, as I rush and commute/ travel a lot during the day. I was thinking to try and meal-bomb my body so it knows food is always coming - every 2-3 hours! It is something I have never done before. In the past I would have coffees all day and the 1 heavy meal late at night - so wrong on so many levels!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
OP
sonicyouth

sonicyouth

Charlie said:
mimi posted the recipe below. Something like that might work for you.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3007

Thanks Charlie. My initial reaction to raw egg is negative, but what the hell, I am going to have this tomorrow morning. I probably won't even taste them from dates and vanilla!
The issue with UK eggs is puzzling- I get them from Wholefoods in London, but nowhere does it say soy-free. I have not been able to find a UK supplier with soy free label. In this case, Peat suggests 1 egg, I think? With lots of OJ?

4peatssake

I have no problem eating raw eggs, provided they are organic free range.
One of my favorite "meals" right now is eggnog.

This recipe fills a quart-sized mason jar. I have to be careful to not drink the whole thing, it's that good. ;)

INGREDIENTS:
2 eggs, beaten
3 tablespoons sugar
2 1/3 cups low-fat milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 dash ground nutmeg

DIRECTIONS:
1. Blend together eggs, sugar, milk, vanilla and nutmeg. Serve chilled.

Substitutions: Use whole milk for thicker, creamy egg nog. Beat eggs with electric mixer first. Very YUMMY!

Other favorite morning breakfast are:
1. coffee with lots of milk, sugar and gelatin.
2. 1 c oj and 1 c milk or greek yogurt, vanilla, sugar to desired sweetness, ice. Can thrown in fruit if you are so inclined for a thicker smoothie. For additional protein, I add Great Lakes gelatin to all my cold drinks but if you can't get it, you can make gummies to take on the road for a snack.

I am finding this eggnog recipe to be very healing and easy to digest. You could substitute honey for the sugar is you tolerate honey ok.

Wilfrid

I love to eat this breakfast:

1/2 cup quick oats cooked to death in coconut milk with 5/6 medjool dates, one tbsp coconut flakes and 2 organic bananas.( I soaked the oats and the coconut flakes in salted water the night before to shorten, even more, the cooking process and this step give an heavenly creamy porridge),
In the cooking process, I add one tsp blackstrapp molasse, one tbsp maple syrup and a pinch of salt.
And then, I use a product called " Matamis na bao", ad libidum, as a topping along with some added coconut milk on the hot oatmeal.For the coconut milk, I use the Aroy D brand which I found more easier on digestion than most of commercial coconut milk. I find this combination really filling and yummy, plus I get toasty warm until lunch! Even a crohnie like me can tolerate this combination with no gut problems... :D
As a side, I drink a peach nectar from Pago's brand, this nectar is really sweet and not acidic at all ( it's basically peach puree, water and sugar, nothing added.)

4peatssake

A word of caution. Ray Peat does not recommend bananas as they can be "seriously allergenic" and have a very high serotonin content.

Ray Peat said:
Bananas can be seriously allergenic, apples are allergenic for some people, but not as intensely as bananas.

"Some fruits, including, bananas, pineapples, and tomatoes, contain enough serotonin to produce physiological effects in susceptible people."

Serotonin content of foods: effect on urinary excretion of 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid.
Feldman JM, Lee EM.
Abstract
Using a highly specific radioenzymatic assay we determined the serotonin concentration in 80 types of foods. The following fruits had a high serotonin concentration (mean +/- SEM) expressed in micrograms/g weight: plantain 30.3 +/- 7.5; pineapple 17.0 +/- 5.1; banana 15.0 +/- 2.4; Kiwi fruit 5.8 +/- 0.9; plums 4.7 +/- 0.8; and tomatoes 3.2 +/- 0.6. Only nuts in the walnut or hickory family had a high serotonin concentration expressed in micrograms/g weight; butternuts 398 +/- 90; black walnuts 304 +/- 46; English walnuts 87 +/- 20; shagbark hickory nuts 143 +/- 23; mockernut hickory nuts 67 +/- 13; pecans 29 +/- 4; and sweet pignuts 25 +/- 8. Ingestion of these fruits and nuts resulted in an increase in urinary 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid excretion with no change in platelet serotonin concentration. The above foods should not be eaten while a urine is being collected for 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid analysis.

He also thinks the impurities in molasses and maple syrup are allergenic.

Some people may tolerate those sugars but for those of us contending with significant health issues, they are best avoided. Ray recommends honey if it is tolerated and white sugar for therapeutic purposes when fresh fruit and fruit juice is not available and/or additional sugar is needed.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals