What Is Causing My Dizziness & Fatigue?

Steve

This is my biggest mystery I wish I could figure out. As soon as I went hyperthyroid 2 1/2 years ago one of the most obvious symptoms was an inflamed/dizzy/woozy-feeling head which also made me feel fatigued.

I've now switched to being hypo, but I still have the head thing. I'm ok right when I wake up. After about an hour my head issue will arrive. It also makes me feel very fatigued.

The smallest frustration will make it instantly worse. For instance I was grabbing a dish this morning stuck in the dishwasher & just that little problem frustrated me & made my head instantly more inflamed-feeling & more fatigued. Making breakfast has to be kept very simple otherwise I get stressed & the head gets worse.

Eating has no affect. Coffee has no affect. Taking a thyroid pill has no affect. It will die down most days after a couple hours, but it's never gone. Any idea what hormone or chemical would be causing this?

moriwatzi

Brainfog and little stress reserve could mean low cortisol. Are you taking things that are known to lower it like Niacinamide, B6, cascara etc... ?

Very reliable symptom of having more than enough cortisol is yawning. A lack of yawning might indicate deficiency in relative terms, e.g too little cortisol for your current stress levels

OP
S

Steve

Brainfog and little stress reserve could mean low cortisol. Are you taking things that are known to lower it like Niacinamide, B6, cascara etc... ?

Very reliable symptom of having more than enough cortisol is yawning. A lack of yawning might indicate deficiency in relative terms, e.g too little cortisol for your current stress levels
Well I did have pretty low cortisol on my last blood test. When I was hyper I had super high morning cortisol. So can both high & low cause the head thing?
I'll be getting my saliva adrenal results back any day now.

I wonder if the 2 grains of NDT I'm taking are causing the low cortisol.
But regardless I had the head thing before & after NDT, so it's just confusing.

OP
S

Steve

you can check for other symptoms here: Symptoms of low cortisol - Stop The Thyroid Madness

Taking Pregnenolone in doses below ACTH suppression (~30mg) might be helpful. Do you react in a bad way to Niacinamide in doses of 500mg or 1g?
From that list & other thoughts the following stood out:
Inability to handle stress
Inability to handle interactions with others
Fatigue
Frequent urination
Waking 2-3am
Dizzy/Woozy/Inflamed head or brain
Easily irritated (definitely)
Loud sudden noises really upset me (like a pot being suddenly banged in the kitchen)

I don't eat gluten.
I've never taken niacinamide except for the 100 mg in Pure Encapsulation B-Complex Plus. I've never noticed a bad reaction to any supplement or any food really.
Another thing: Exercise can often get me out of this state for a while. For instance I rode my bike for 1 1/2 hours & now a couple hours later my temp is 98.6 & head is not too bad, although I'm pretty worn out physically.

Herbie

Steve Ive been through very similar symptoms but over come it.

Can you elaborate on your diet?

OP
S

Steve

Steve Ive been through very similar symptoms but over come it.

Can you elaborate on your diet?
I can't wait until I overcome it. Any day now.

Diet: 40% carbs, 22% protein, 35% fat.
2,200 calories per day (because I'm shedding a few lbs right now).
Normally 2,700 calories per day.

Today:
Breakfast: 2 Eggs, 3 Oysters, Pineapple, Orange Juice, Coffee
Lunch: Sirloin Steak, Applesauce, Peas with Butter, Gelatin in Tea
Snack: 8oz Vanilla Latte
Dinners (recent):
Tortilla with burger & cheese, milk
Grass-fed beef sausage & fried potatoes & tapioca pudding, milk
Leek & Fennel Potato Soup,
Fried potatoes with Onions & Mushrooms, glass of milk

Other Stuff I Eat:
Carrot salad
Seafood every week (oysters or shrimp)
White rice
Rice cereal w/ blueberries occasionally
1 beer occasionally
Homemade pizza
Bread (occasionally for a breakfast sandwich)
Cheese
Yams
Veggies (but not a ton)

Avoid:
Vegetable oil (Fry in coconut oil usually, or olive oil, or butter
Gluten (usually avoid, doesn't seem to matter though)
High PUFA foods

(I'm 45, 191 lbs, probably 25% body fat all in the stomach area..................look slim unless I take my shirt off & tighten my jeans)

Herbie

Thanks Steve. I like it especially the home made pizza... healthy but still enjoying life and balance.

I found that when I increased my protein to exceed my fat intake and carbohydrates well exceed my protein intake the symptoms you describe went away.

I found that my liver wasn't in good working order and the amount of fat I was consuming was too much for the liver and It wasn't able to store glycogen well.

2mg of cyproheptadine in the evening taking for for a month made a big difference.

The breakfast I have found which works for me is a cup of fresh oj with 2-3 tablespoons of gelatin a coffee of black tea with sugar and full cream milk.

OP
S

Steve

Thanks Steve. I like it especially the home made pizza... healthy but still enjoying life and balance.

I found that when I increased my protein to exceed my fat intake and carbohydrates well exceed my protein intake the symptoms you describe went away.

I found that my liver wasn't in good working order and the amount of fat I was consuming was too much for the liver and It wasn't able to store glycogen well.

2mg of cyproheptadine in the evening taking for for a month made a big difference.

The breakfast I have found which works for me is a cup of fresh oj with 2-3 tablespoons of gelatin a coffee of black tea with sugar and full cream milk.
Thanks for the ideas!
My doctor was thinking it may have to do with my liver the last time I had an appt with her.

So you had more protein than fat, and also more carbs than protein.........something like 50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fat?
Did I understand that right?

What was the reason for cypro? I've seen it mentioned, but I don't really know anything about it.

Herbie

I would research liver function and focus on improving it.

Yeah something around those ratios, experiment and find out because its different in the different seasons and lifestyle.

Having a compromised liver function for some years I was very highly strung and stressed, aggressive, easily angered running on stress hormones and the cypro antagonises those hormones as far as I know and it was a good aid to help come down from the stress and find some calm and balance. cypro really helped me have deep sleep.

Herbie

You can palpate the liver by pressing your fingers up and under the right side of the rib cage next to your sternum under the pectoral muscles and compare it to the left side and if its tender like a dull pain when putting pressure on then you know the liver needs more support.

Mine used to be tender and sore but not anymore.

Zpol

I still have the head thing. I'm ok right when I wake up. After about an hour my head issue will arrive. It also makes me feel very fatigued.

@Steve
I have this too. The dizziness and fatigue are scary. Have you been successful at relieving the dizziness since you started this thread?

OP
S

Steve

The dizziness has gotten better, especially the morning dizziness. But it's not gone. I still have some dizziness pretty much every day. Stress definitely makes it worse.
I have no idea what made it slightly better other than time. I started with Grave's Disease or something similar & then went hypo, so things just change over time. Hopefully I'm getting better.

saene

I had a very similar brain fog issue when i felt fine upon waking but got foggy after a little while. Upping my salt has helped quite a bit. Not sure about your situation but perhaps consider your salt intake.

Zpol

@Steve yes, stress intensifies it for sure.

Thanks @saene ! In fact, I was just at my doctors office and my blood pressure was dangerously low, she wouldn't even let me leave the clinic. I drank the mineral water I had with and it came back up. Suprisingly, I wasn't dizzy at the time but my doc said to eat lots more salt too. At first I thought ... no way, as I already eat tonnes of salt, then I realized I don't eat any for breakfast or late night snack (it's usually fruit and collagen in coffee or OJ). So the last few days ive added salt with those meals and so far there has been some improvement. Hope it keeps getting better from here. Thanks!