Is this a good meal plan?

DeepFried

So I'm new to the Ray Peat world and have been studying up.

I've come up with an example of a meal plan and just wanted to run it by you guys.

Breakfast (pre-workout): 5 spoonfuls of honey + coffee
Mid-morning (post-workout): whey + collagen protein shake + ripe banana
lunch: cottage cheese + grated carrot + fruit salad
dinner: omelette with berries
desert: jello

Another question I have, is how often should I eat? I've left a big gap between lunch and dinner - lunch will be usually at 12pm and dinner at 7-8pm - should I eat something in between there?

Thanks for your help.

I've come up with an example of a meal plan and just wanted to run it by you guys.

Another question I have, is how often should I eat? I've left a big gap between lunch and dinner - lunch will be usually at 12pm and dinner at 7-8pm - should I eat something in between there?

Thanks for your help.
I don't work out, but Ray Peat recommends a protein before coffee and milk in coffee. 5 spoonfuls of honey sounds like WAY too much. I don't think he is keen on bananas or whey either. Depending what is in that shake and omelet more protein and calcium might be needed needed in that menu.

reaching

Not sustainable at all. Especially if you are working out.. you will be mad hungry.

OP
D

DeepFried

I suppose I could eat a bigger breakfast, but since I work out first thing in the morning it doesn't seem to make sense to eat a heavy meal and try to exercise while still digesting it. It's really hard to make a meal plan out of Ray Peat's teachings since most the foods he recommends are snack foods. How am I supposed to make a balanced meal out of milk or cheese?

AndrewGesell

Thanks for your help.
I would starve on that

I think it's a bit deficient in b- vitamins, iron, potassium and manganese. Getting protein from milk and meat instead of whey and collagen would be better, to increase the amount of those nutrients. Have you put the amounts you're consuming of these foods in Cronometer to see how many calories you're getting?

About the meal frequency, it depends on glycogen stores, as well as hunger. If you're not feeling hungry or hypoglycemic, then that much time between meals should be fine.

I suppose I could eat a bigger breakfast, but since I work out first thing in the morning it doesn't seem to make sense to eat a heavy meal and try to exercise while still digesting it. It's really hard to make a meal plan out of Ray Peat's teachings since most the foods he recommends are snack foods. How am I supposed to make a balanced meal out of milk or cheese?
Snack foods? What is snacking about eggs, steak seafood and oysters? There was nothing wrong with your menu, and I agree with you that I wouldn't want a heavy meal either, feeling more ready for a nap before running and such. The problem is is that Ray Peat wouldn't have you at the gym on a treadmill or body building in the first place. So you can"t combine his food recommendations with stressful activities that creates cortisol and no one imbalances and expect to be "Peaty" anyway.

OP
D

DeepFried

Snack foods? What is snacking about eggs, steak seafood and oysters? There was nothing wrong with your menu, and I agree with you that I wouldn't want a heavy meal either, feeling more ready for a nap before running and such. The problem is is that Ray Peat wouldn't have you at the gym on a treadmill or body building in the first place. So you can"t combine his food recommendations with stressful activities that creates cortisol and no one imbalances and expect to be "Peaty" anyway.

Wait, Ray Peat doesn't recommend exercise? What the hell?

Thanks for your help.
I saw this DeepFried and thought of you :)

”Incidental stresses, such as strenuous exercise combined with fasting (e.g., running or working before eating breakfast) not only directly trigger the production of lactate and ammonia, they also are likely to increase the absorption of bacterial endotoxin from the intestine. Endotoxin is a ubiquitous and chronic stressor. It increases lactate and nitric oxide, poisoning mitochondrial respiration, precipitating the secretion of the adaptive stress hormones, which don’t always fully repair the cellular damage.”-Ray Peat

equipoise

Wait, Ray Peat doesn't recommend exercise? What the hell?
That's not true. Ray think exercise in individuals who are severely ill is bad or for the individuals who have been over training of years / running marathons / getting out of breath. He stated higher muscle:fat ratio is androgenic and good for metabolism, he has no problems with exercising that doesn't leave you breathless and which keeps lactate from forming (your focus should be on the concentric part of the motion).

Ray is really stating the obvious here, which I think most people neglect or forget, that is, don't force the exercise, mind the body's response to it, don't force it, don't get breathless.

Long distance running never appealed to me, while all my friends were doing it in high school, inviting me (especially when I was overweight). I kindly declined everytime. This was way way back before I was introduced to Ray. I vividly remember feeling off whenever I would breath through my mouth, either by hyperventilating or by allergies stuffing my sinuses. God knows how many time I've woken up with dry mouth knowing that I had been salivating from the corners of my mouth the whole night and not breathing through my nose. It's horrible.

Really when you look at it, most of the stuff Ray talks about are not hard to comprehend if you have a history of common sense. Unfortunately troubled times, learned helplessness and the continuous exploitationary acts of serotonin driven madmen have made it harder for the common folk to apply common sense and/or be guided by their innate insticts. It's never a bad idea to try to override the learned helplessness and see the world for what it really is.

NanMitch

Ray Peat or any doctor would never advise such a nutrient deficient diet. Read Adele Davis. Much of his advice is based in her research. Make an appointment with a registered dietician.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals