Vitamin K2 Clotting?

mamaherrera

I take 50000 vitamin D twice a month due to low d and Ive been taking 500 mcg of mk4 with it. Last night the pharmacist told me that I should not because vitamin k causes blood clots which totally freaked me out. Is that true?

Vitamin K2 is safe in high doses. Your doctor is confusing it with K1. Although k2 can be converted to k1 (as far as know ), your body will know how much to convert. It should only be an issue if someone would take old type oral anticoagulant medications like Warfarin which antagonize vitamin K1. In that case you will laso limit foods high in K1 like leafy greens. Vitamin K1 was discovered first an it's called "The Coagulant vitamin", K2 was discovered later and is a part of the same Kuinone family and is only structurally related and has nothing to with coagulation. There's a good chance your doctor is not even aware that K2 exists, because at no point is even mentioned in the medical school curriculum (at least in my case).

OP
M

mamaherrera

Thanks for that information. I never knew that k2 could convert to k1. That's strange/I mean nwe. Because they claim most k1 doesn't convert well into k2. I am expecting so I take thorne prenatal and that has 100mcg of k1. should that be ok?
And no vitmain D doesn't give clots, I'm talking about the k2 that I take to help get the vitamin D to do it's job correctly.

OP
M

mamaherrera

oh. gotcha. I don't know. That would be a good thing but in a way no. BEcause too much D and calcium without k2, supposedly, causes the calcium to go into plaque in the arteries, which indirectly would do the same thing. IT would be nice if doctors would be on this too so they would prescribe things correctly in right ratios. Do you all think the 100mcg of vitamin K1 is safe in my prenatal?

OP
M

mamaherrera

Yes. And that is an amount which can be obtained from food.
right but if it's in the prenatal, as an extra, because I know I get more than that much from diet, there's no danger for clotting?? Since I can't get it out of the prenatal

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals