Vitamin D Supplementation Improves Colon Cancer, Does Not Cause Hypercalemia

Mossy

I do @Mossy
Ray Peat recommended me to take 5000IU vitamin D daily. He didn't say anything about vitamin K.
I'm waiting for my K2 though which I've ordered ( not because I take vitamin D).
How do you feel with Supplementing vitamin D? I’ve been trying it the last two days, and it gives me a slight headache, fatigue, and just all in all, don’t feel too hot on it. But, I think I’ll give it some more time.

P.S. I just saw your answer to the same question I had — so no need to answer me. Thanks.

baccheion

Magnesium can handle 25(OH)D serum levels below 42 ng/mL. Maybe even up to 50 ng/mL. Once higher, vitamin K becomes more important. Either way, just take a D + K supplement. And magnesium.

dreamcatcher

Magnesium can handle 25(OH)D serum levels below 42 ng/mL. Maybe even up to 50 ng/mL. Once higher, vitamin K becomes more important. Either way, just take a D + K supplement. And magnesium.
Thank you for this, my K2 is on it's way. Well, vitamin D levels can drop by half every two weeks. Mine was quite low (last measured last Aug) 90nmol/l. 0-40ng/ml = 0-100nmol/l.

Collden

https://perfecthairhealth.com/vitamin-d-deficiency-does-it-cause-hair-loss/

This might be worth checking out!
Strangely, since I'm taking 5000IU vitamin D daily (6 days), I've noticed eyebrow hair growth!
Thats awesome! I read a story on reddit that said she also had regrowth of eyebrows with vit D., hope to achieve the same. I've noticed thinning eyebrows seems to be way more common in people living at northern latitudes than in people living in the south, wonder if its all a question of vitamin D deficiency.

I've also noticed my skin getting noticeably darker since I upped my vit D to 5-10k/day about a week ago, even though I didn't spend that much time in the sun. Wonder if Vit D can directly stimulate melanin production.

baccheion

Thats awesome! I read a story on reddit that said she also had regrowth of eyebrows with vit D., hope to achieve the same. I've noticed thinning eyebrows seems to be way more common in people living at northern latitudes than in people living in the south, wonder if its all a question of vitamin D deficiency.

I've also noticed my skin getting noticeably darker since I upped my vit D to 5-10k/day about a week ago, even though I didn't spend that much time in the sun. Wonder if Vit D can directly stimulate melanin production.
Maybe it's stimulating/normalizing metabolism (increases tyrosine hydroxylase activity in the hypothalamus). Impaired thyroid functioning is associated with thinner outer eyebrows.

dreamcatcher

That's interesting. What I've heard is that estrogen darkens skin and progesterone lightens it.
Hope you have success with vitamin D; K2, A, Magnesium and Calcium should be addressed too.

Collden

That's interesting. What I've heard is that estrogen darkens skin and progesterone lightens it.
Hope you have success with vitamin D; K2, A, Magnesium and Calcium should be addressed too.
Yeah it seems melanin is formed in response to stressors that produce free radicals, and estrogen is one such stressor, but I think Ray Peat overall considers melanin a beneficial substance. Just from personal experience it seems there's some link between hypothyroidism and lack of pigmentation, blonde people seem more hypothyroid as a group than people with dark hair.

Last edited:

Collden

Maybe it's stimulating/normalizing metabolism (increases tyrosine hydroxylase activity in the hypothalamus). Impaired thyroid functioning is associated with thinner outer eyebrows.
Yeah, I think thinning eyebrows is a sign of prolonged hypothyroidism, and seems to be very difficult to reverse, even many people who've been on T3 therapy for a long time dont manage to grow them back, so its interesting if Vitamin D can achieve that by itself.

Last edited:

dreamcatcher

Yeah, I think thinning eyebrows is a sign of prolonged hypothyroidism, and seems to be very difficult to reverse, even many people who've been on T3 therapy for a long time dont manage to grow them back, so its interesting if Vitamin D can achieve that by itself.
My eyebrows thinning was overall, not particularly the ends. It has more to do with TE/alopecia in my case.

Jon

I have just posted this study, which is related to colon cancer, but found this interesting section I felt people searching for vitamin D and hypercalcemia would miss from the key words in my other thread.

Increased dietary vitamin D suppresses MAPK signaling, colitis, and colon cancer

"Increased dietary vitamin D significantly increases serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D without altering serum calcium levels
To determine if high dietary vitamin D increases serum vitamin D status without causing toxicity in Smad3−/− mice, we measured serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and serum calcium in mice fed high vitamin D diet or maintenance diet (control) for one week. The high vitamin D diet significantly increased serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels without altering serum calcium (25–hydroxyvitamin D mean: 37.6 vs. 17.6 ng/ml, p=0.016; calcium mean: 9.6 vs. 10.6 mg/dl, p=0.1), demonstrating that the dietary regimen rapidly elevated serum vitamin D levels without causing hypercalcemia. Similarly, after 16 weeks on diet, Smad3−/− mice fed high vitamin D diet had serum vitamin D levels that were roughly double that of mice fed maintenance diet (mean: 38.4 vs. 14.4 ng/ml, p<0.0001) (Fig 1A) while serum calcium levels remained unchanged (Fig 1B)."

Do you think this is because the animals were eating sufficient calcium? From what I understand, vitamin D will cause increases in PTH if calcium is already low.

Calcium and Phosphate Homeostasis

Really good infographics in that link.

I also understand that mice in particular are very good at synthesis of k2 via k1 ingestion, even more so than if they were to be supplemented with k2. Si perhaps they're not as prone to hypercalcemia via a highly effective calcium metabolism?

OP
raypeatclips

raypeatclips

Do you think this is because the animals were eating sufficient calcium? From what I understand, vitamin D will cause increases in PTH if calcium is already low.

Calcium and Phosphate Homeostasis

Really good infographics in that link.

I also understand that mice in particular are very good at synthesis of k2 via k1 ingestion, even more so than if they were to be supplemented with k2. Si perhaps they're not as prone to hypercalcemia via a highly effective calcium metabolism?

For the first question, I would guess so? Studies show the lowest calcium intakes have the lowest vitamin D blood levels, so you would assume that they would have had to be having a decent amount of calcium. I'm not sure the calcium content of regular "lab chow" I'll see if we can see what diets they had in the study.

Relationship between Vitamin D, Parathyroid Hormone, and Bone Health

The second question is a very interesting thought that I am nowhere near knowledgeable to answer, but would be interested in knowing the answer myself!

Frankdee20

I do @Mossy
Ray Peat recommended me to take 5000IU vitamin D daily. He didn't say anything about vitamin K.
I'm waiting for my K2 though which I've ordered ( not because I take vitamin D).

I am currently around 26 for my Vitamin D level, and that dropped from 32 about 8 months ago. If you do not take it every day, it will drop. I am back on 5,000 IU daily, and currently doing 1 Super K with it, but thinking of increasing. I think K1 can convert to K2 but we do not know the exact variables

rei

Latest research shows 10k IU of D daily is needed unless you get significant sun exposure. This was found out through reanalyzing previous studies and finding a severe statistical error in their calculations. Everyone can make up their own mind is such an error plausible or deliberate...

I would not worry about vit. K below such dose. But seeing the beneficial effects of K i see no reason not to supplement it.

baccheion

Latest research shows 10k IU of D daily is needed unless you get significant sun exposure. This was found out through reanalyzing previous studies and finding a severe statistical error in their calculations. Everyone can make up their own mind is such an error plausible or deliberate...

I would not worry about vit. K below such dose. But seeing the beneficial effects of K i see no reason not to supplement it.
40-60 ng/mL 25(OH)D with PTH near the bottom of the range is a better target. Actual IUs needed vary due to differences in absorption, receptor sensitivity, etc.

80 ng/mL+ is associated with healing.

rei

The 10k IU i mentioned is what i have read from published research. Personally i would aim at 90ng with a small amount of vit. K to be on the safe side, if you have access to tests.

baccheion

The 10k IU i mentioned is what i have read from published research. Personally i would aim at 90ng with a small amount of vit. K to be on the safe side, if you have access to tests.
Why 90 ng/mL when not trying to heal anything?

rei

Because there are no overdose concerns at anywhere near this, and many disease associations below this.

Maybe you know of some increased risk at this high end?

ps. if you exercise regularly you are trying to heal something. Do you have studies to suggest it is not a general healing effect going on in all the billions of cells we heal daily?

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals