Vitamin D Supplementation Improves Colon Cancer, Does Not Cause Hypercalemia

raypeatclips

Increased dietary vitamin D suppresses MAPK signaling, colitis, and colon cancer

Cancer Res. Author manuscript; available in PMC 2015 Aug 15.

Published in final edited form as:
Cancer Res. 2014 Aug 15; 74(16): 4398–4408.
Published online 2014 Jun 17. doi: 10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-13-2820
PMCID: PMC4134774
NIHMSID: NIHMS606705
PMID: 24938764
Increased dietary vitamin D suppresses MAPK signaling, colitis, and colon cancer
Stacey Meeker,1 Audrey Seamons,1 Jisun Paik,1 Piper M. Treuting,1 Thea Brabb,1 William M. Grady,2 andLillian Maggio-Price1

"One week after diet initiation, mice were inoculated with broth or H. bilis and were necropsied at several time points post-inoculation to assess inflammation, dysplasia, and neoplasia incidence. At 16 weeks post infection, 11% of mice fed high vitamin D diet had cancer compared to 41% of mice fed maintenance diet (p=0.0121). Evaluation at an early time point (1 week post-infection) showed that animals fed high vitamin D had decreased MAPK (p-p38 and p-JNK) activation in lamina propria leukocytes as well as decreased NFκB activation in colonic epithelial cells. Reduction in MAPK and NFκB activation correlated with decreased IBD scores (2.7 vs 15.5, p<0.0001) as well as decreased inflammatory cell infiltrates and reduced expression of proinflammatory cytokines in cecal tissue. These findings suggest that increased dietary vitamin D is beneficial in preventing inflammation-associated colon cancer through suppression of inflammatory responses during initiation of neoplasia or early stage carcinogenesis."

OP
raypeatclips

raypeatclips

I have just posted this study, which is related to colon cancer, but found this interesting section I felt people searching for vitamin D and hypercalcemia would miss from the key words in my other thread.

"Increased dietary vitamin D significantly increases serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D without altering serum calcium levels
To determine if high dietary vitamin D increases serum vitamin D status without causing toxicity in Smad3−/− mice, we measured serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and serum calcium in mice fed high vitamin D diet or maintenance diet (control) for one week. The high vitamin D diet significantly increased serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels without altering serum calcium (25–hydroxyvitamin D mean: 37.6 vs. 17.6 ng/ml, p=0.016; calcium mean: 9.6 vs. 10.6 mg/dl, p=0.1), demonstrating that the dietary regimen rapidly elevated serum vitamin D levels without causing hypercalcemia. Similarly, after 16 weeks on diet, Smad3−/− mice fed high vitamin D diet had serum vitamin D levels that were roughly double that of mice fed maintenance diet (mean: 38.4 vs. 14.4 ng/ml, p<0.0001) (Fig 1A) while serum calcium levels remained unchanged (Fig 1B)."

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
raypeatclips

raypeatclips

@charlie The study is about vitamin D and prevention of colon cancer and colitis, the section about hypercalemia is only one small section, which is why I wanted them split into two. I don't think the current title represents what the study is actually about and I wouldn't want people interested in colon cancer to miss it. What would you suggest? Can we fit both topics into a single title sufficiently?

"Vitamin D supplementation improves colon cancer, does not cause hypercalemia."

Would probably have been a better title on my part have I had thought of it first time! Fits all the key words in "vitamin D colon cancer" "vitamin D hypercalemia"

Mossy

I searched that study for a vitamin K reference, and did not find any. I would be curious if any are supplementing D without K?

The "does not cause hypercalemia" part is what motivated me to consider D without K. I know this approach would be contrary to most advice on this forum, but I don't feel well on K. Most discussions say to include it to avoid hypercalemia.

OP
raypeatclips

raypeatclips

I searched that study for a vitamin K reference, and did not find any. I would be curious if any are supplementing D without K?

The "does not cause hypercalemia" part is what motivated me to consider D without K. I know this approach would be contrary to most advice on this forum, but I don't feel well on K. Most discussions say to include it to avoid hypercalemia.

I think if you are not excessive with your vitamin D doses, then you probably don't have much to worry about. If you don't feel well on K, I'd probably stop taking it. Peat has mentioning weekly liver and has also mentioning eating broccoli for the vitamin K in the context of using antibiotics. Maybe try from food, and monitor your vitamin D and calcium levels with blood tests might be an interesting experiment for you.

Collden

Try it, there is no evidence that vitamin K2 supplementation is necessary to make Vitamin D in reasonable amounts (say <5 000 IU/day) safe, thats pure conjecture from the bloggosphere.

Though maybe you'd do better getting your vitamin K from food, some believe that the best way (actually pretty much the only way) to get as much vitamin K2 from our diet as some people argue we should, is to rely on conversion from Vitamin K1 that we can get in great amounts from leafy greens like spinach
Dr. Cannell on vitamin K2

Last edited:

Mossy

I think if you are not excessive with your vitamin D doses, then you probably don't have much to worry about. If you don't feel well on K, I'd probably stop taking it. Peat has mentioning weekly liver and has also mentioning eating broccoli for the vitamin K in the context of using antibiotics. Maybe try from food, and monitor your vitamin D and calcium levels with blood tests might be an interesting experiment for you.
Good advice--thank you. I forgot about broccoli, I have been eating liver.

Mossy

Try it, there is no evidence that vitamin K2 supplementation is necessary to make Vitamin D in reasonable amounts (say <5 000 IU/day) safe, thats pure conjecture from the bloggosphere.

Though maybe you'd do better getting your vitamin K from food, some believe that the best way (actually pretty much the only way) to get as much vitamin K2 from our diet as some people argue we should, is to rely on conversion from Vitamin K1 that we can get in great amounts from leafy greens like spinach
Dr. Cannell on vitamin K2
Yeah, my thought as well, to keep the dose relatively low. I didn't realize that K2 was converted from K1 (if I understood your comment). I think I will try food, versus supplement, of K2. Thanks.

managing

I took D w/o K and felt great for about 6 weeks (2-4,000 IU/D). Then I started having serious kidney pain--identical to the early signs of kidney stones I experienced years ago. So I stopped. Now if I take even a little, same.

OP
raypeatclips

raypeatclips

I took D w/o K and felt great for about 6 weeks (2-4,000 IU/D). Then I started having serious kidney pain--identical to the early signs of kidney stones I experienced years ago. So I stopped. Now if I take even a little, same.

Have you had your vitamin D levels tested at all? Tried any K to see if it resolves the issue?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Where you taking magnesium?

lampofred

I have gotten hypercalcemic symptoms from too much Vit D supplementation. I probably have very low Vit A though, and high Vit A and Vit K are needed to protect against Vit D excess. But supplementing Vit A is unsafe, so best to just use liver, eggs, milk and sunlight instead of supplements.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I have gotten hypercalcemic symptoms from too much Vit D supplementation.
What were the symptoms and were you supplementing magnesium?

I probably have very low Vit A though, and high Vit A and Vit K are needed to protect against Vit D excess. But supplementing Vit A is unsafe, so best to just use liver, eggs, milk and sunlight instead of supplements.
The Coimbra protocol uses very high doses of vitamin D and no vitamin A supplementation at all. It also has a 95% success rate with auto-immune conditions.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Tell me you are saying this from some personal research, not from the recent franko/ Grant Genereux thread?
I know you weren't addressing me but I thought this might interest you if you haven't seen it before. It is an old post from Ella who spent years researching vitamin A. She has concerns about supplementing vitamin A and attached 2 studies.
https://raypeatforum.com/community/posts/107678

Suikerbuik

I experienced something similar. Also 2-4000 iu, a capsule was said to contain 2k and I usually took 1 but sometimes 2, and after a about 2 months I start suffering kidney pains, weightloss, irritability and worse sleep. Vitamin D3 came back 256 nmol/L. I did take Mg-bisglycinate at the time which contained calcium too (ratio 1:2), but I wasn't doing dairy. So now I prefer sunlight and without regret.

OT: I wonder what happens if they repeat this study and include a group that is fed vitamin D after say 4 weeks after that transient infection with H. Bilis has taken place.

Mossy

Interesting. Glad to get some feedback from someone with experience with D w/o K.

Where you taking magnesium?
I think this is a good thought. Just from memory, I remember reading magnesium deficiency can be the cause of adverse effects for many supplements. If I get the symptoms @managing did, I’ll add some mag.

Mossy

I experienced something similar. Also 2-4000 iu, a capsule was said to contain 2k and I usually took 1 but sometimes 2, and after a about 2 months I start suffering kidney pains, weightloss, irritability and worse sleep. Vitamin D3 came back 256 nmol/L. I did take Mg-bisglycinate at the time which contained calcium too (ratio 1:2), but I wasn't doing dairy. So now I prefer sunlight and without regret.

OT: I wonder what happens if they repeat this study and include a group that is fed vitamin D after say 4 weeks after that transient infection with H. Bilis has taken place.
Hmmm. Your experience throws a wrench in the mag-to-the-rescue theory. Even so, I’ll see if mag helps me.

I do remember reading that D can mess with melatonin function (for lack of a more accurate scientific term), so maybe that contributed to worse sleep. Suprised the mag and glycine didn’t help counter thought. But, I get your experience—I am hyper sensitive to most supplements.

Suikerbuik

Hmmm. Your experience throws a wrench in the mag-to-the-rescue theory. Even so, I’ll see if mag helps me.

I do remember reading that D can mess with melatonin function (for lack of a more accurate scientific term), so maybe that contributed to worse sleep. Suprised the mag and glycine didn’t help counter thought. But, I get your experience—I am hyper sensitive to most supplements.

Goodluck, I hope it's the silver bullet in your case and why shouldn't it.

dreamcatcher

I do @Mossy
Ray Peat recommended me to take 5000IU vitamin D daily. He didn't say anything about vitamin K.
I'm waiting for my K2 though which I've ordered ( not because I take vitamin D).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals