Cancer - email from Dr. Peat

peatypie

I recently emailed RP with the following question:

"Hope you are doing well. Quick question regarding cancer: Would a low RB1 gene expression (which is a tumor suppressor gene apparently)
suggest higher disease progression? Or does the metabolic approach to cancer look at the low RB1 gene as irrelevant? Is the RB1 gene mutation a cause of cancer or is it a consequence of cancer?"

His Response:

"The gene activation is often a matter of degrees, that can be offset by reducing inflammation.

Cancer Res. 2007 Oct 1; 67(19): 9286–9293.
Nitric Oxide Inactivates the Retinoblastoma Pathway in Chronic Inflammation
Lei Ying,1 Anne B. Hofseth,1 Darren D. Browning,3 Mitzi Nagarkatti,2 Prakash S. Nagarkatti,2 and Lorne J. Hofseth1
Abstract
Patients with chronic inflammatory bowel disease have a high risk of colon cancer. The molecules that initiate and promote colon cancer and the cancer pathways altered remain undefined. Here, using in vitro models and a mouse model of colitis, we show that nitric oxide (NO) species induce retinoblastoma protein (pRb) hyperphosphorylation and inactivation, resulting in increased proliferation through the pRb-E2F1 pathway. NO-driven pRb hyperphosphorylation occurs through soluble guanylyl cyclase/guanosine 3′,5′-cyclic monophosphate signaling and is dependent on the mitogen-activated protein kinase/extracellular signal-regulated kinase kinase MEK/ERK and phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/AKT pathways. Our results reveal a link between NO and pRb inactivation and provide insight into molecules that can be targeted in the prevention of the inflammation-to-cancer sequence.

Introduction

A basic understanding of the mechanisms involved in the inflammation-to-cancer sequence is beginning to emerge. Key players include but are not limited to nuclear factor-κB (NF-κB), p53, cytokines, nitric oxide (NO) synthases, cyclooxygenases, and pattern recognition receptors (1–3). Although the onset of carcinogenesis associated with inflammation is at least in part mediated by free radical species through protein modification and DNA damage, the identification of specific free radicals and their targets remains vague. NO species are candidates due to their elevation in chronic inflammation and cancer and their ability to damage DNA and posttranslationally modify key cancer proteins (2, 4). TP53, for example, is a tumor suppressor protein that is hyperphosphorylated and activated by NO in colitis (3). It is also mutated in this disease (5). Depending on levels, NO can also activate and inhibit NF-κB activity (6, 7).

Retinoblastoma protein (pRb) is also a well-known tumor suppressor. We have recently shown that the pRb protein is hyperphosphorylated and inactivated in mice and humans with colitis. Because pRb hyperphosphorylation correlated with inducible NO synthase (iNOS) levels in our study (8), we hypothesized that NO drives pRb hyperphosphorylation as a mechanism toward pRb inactivation in colitis. Our elucidation of the underlying signaling pathways provides a more complete understanding of molecular basis of chronic inflammation-related carcinogenesis. Strategies targeting these newly recognized pathway interactions may prove beneficial to the chemoprevention or treatment of chronic inflammation and associated carcinogenesis."

This is all very complex and the science seems to be a little vague. What would be good nitric oxide antagonists and the inflamation-to-cancer sequence? A recent blood liquid biopsy identified low RB1 gene expression which seems to suggest higher probability of cancer progression.

mostlylurking

I recently emailed RP with the following question:
"Hope you are doing well. Quick question regarding cancer: Would a low RB1 gene expression (which is a tumor suppressor gene apparently)
suggest higher disease progression? Or does the metabolic approach to cancer look at the low RB1 gene as irrelevant? Is the RB1 gene mutation a cause of cancer or is it a consequence of cancer?"

His Response:

"The gene activation is often a matter of degrees, that can be offset by reducing inflammation.
I'm confused by the selected reference quote that Dr. Peat provided to you. It seems to be pertinent to your question because it is about RB1 gene expression, but the reference quote shines a laser beam on nitric oxide and its effect on the RB1 gene whereas I think that Dr. Peat's response sentence does not limit "reducing inflammation" only to reducing nitric oxide. I think. Maybe? Perhaps you could do a followup email to him for clarification?

This is all very complex and the science seems to be a little vague. What would be good nitric oxide antagonists and the inflamation-to-cancer sequence?

I think the main point is to reduce inflammation, which includes multiple beneficial things like progesterone, aspirin, thyroid hormone, and optimizing oxidative metabolism. Inflammation is broader than just nitric oxide. If you only focus on reducing nitric oxide, you may miss some really helpful anti-inflammatory things, like reducing lactic acidosis and increasing carbon dioxide via optimizing oxidative metabolism.

see this Peat article: Lactate vs. CO2 in wounds, sickness, and aging; the other approach to cancer

OP
peatypie

peatypie

I'm confused by the selected reference quote that Dr. Peat provided to you. It seems to be pertinent to your question because it is about RB1 gene expression, but the reference quote shines a laser beam on nitric oxide and its effect on the RB1 gene whereas I think that Dr. Peat's response sentence does not limit "reducing inflammation" only to reducing nitric oxide. I think. Maybe? Perhaps you could do a followup email to him for clarification?

I think the main point is to reduce inflammation, which includes multiple beneficial things like progesterone, aspirin, thyroid hormone, and optimizing oxidative metabolism. Inflammation is broader than just nitric oxide. If you only focus on reducing nitric oxide, you may miss some really helpful anti-inflammatory things, like reducing lactic acidosis and increasing carbon dioxide via optimizing oxidative metabolism.

see this Peat article: Lactate vs. CO2 in wounds, sickness, and aging; the other approach to cancer
Thanks Mostlylurking. Very good points.

mostlylurking

Thanks Mostlylurking. Very good points.
Glad to try to help.
You might find this article helpful:

Nitric oxide is difficult to research because it seems to be one of the darlings of main stream medicine. Lots of chaff to sift through.

Using this search engine to search Peat articles for "nitric oxide" and also for "carbon dioxide" might be helpful: PeatSearch: a Ray Peat-specific search engine - Toxinless Use the cell on the left to omit the forum posts.

Healthseeker

Look up pde5 inhibitors. See if you can make sense of that with this NO information

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals