Fasting ups estrogen & cortisol, decimates vitamin D, may cause diabetes

LLight

Catecholamine levels in a Ramadan fasting model in rats: a case control study

The results from this study showed statistically significant higher levels of blood DA, but not ADR or NA, in fasting rats, which is indicative of the complexity of the hypothalamic–pituitary–adrenal axis as well as the sympathetic dopaminergic system responses during stress. The sympathetic dopaminergic system response must be more pronounced during fasting. Moreover, the reaction of the dopaminergic system and the non-neuronal gut cells to food intake after fasting may be contributed to the observed higher blood DA levels. Additionally, the higher, but statistically insignificant DA levels in the urine samples of fasting rats may indicate increased renal excretion of DA in satiety and DA synthesized in the kidney. In evaluating the CA levels during fasting, the sympatho-neural, sympatho-adrenomedullary, DOPA–DA autocrine/paracrine and hypothalamic–pituitary–adrenocortical pathways must be taken into consideration.

Spartan300

@haidut you refer to elevated cortisol & estrogen in the study cited in the OP but makes no mention of effect on androgens for which there are many claims re IF.

It must be relative? If the ration of androgens are increased in a ratio greater than cortisol & estrogen then the nett effect would be positive?

Yucca

As usual, and it's the same for ALL studies in every domain : you get that kind of results with people who are not used to the stuff who's being tested.
If you're not used to train hard with weights, you'll get DOMS the day after.
If you've never drinked milk for all your life, you'll most likely be bloated right after if you try.
If you're not used with fasting (at least intermittent), you'll get huge increase in hormone stress response, as cortisol, and decrease for other hormones, like Test for men.
But when you're trained enough, after a short initial response, ALL markers will go back to normal values quite fast (if fasting duration is not too long). Your body just upregulates himself, it's called adaptation...hormesis.

So you can fast each day (IF), without getting elevated cortisol or lowered test, as It will be your daily routine. It just needs a few weeks, or months for some. But it works. Just break your mental block.

...I'm not saying everyone needs fasting (it has pros and cons), just that this study is totally useless, if taken literally. Every human activity, learning also, causes initially a stress response, and hightened cortisol levels. Do the same kind of activity every day, the stress disappears, and you become (much) stronger.

I have done a lot of fasting - and a lot of Master Cleanses and really, for my body the Master Cleanse works the best when I need a re-set. I do well with lemon and maple syrup and cayenne is its own little miracle. Throw are few coffee enemas in there and sneak in a few cups of coffee.... It's ALMOST peaty. As for fasting ... I prefer a good dry fast - water fasting is a bummer for me.

T

TheBeard

I have done a lot of fasting - and a lot of Master Cleanses and really, for my body the Master Cleanse works the best when I need a re-set. I do well with lemon and maple syrup and cayenne is its own little miracle. Throw are few coffee enemas in there and sneak in a few cups of coffee.... It's ALMOST peaty. As for fasting ... I prefer a good dry fast - water fasting is a bummer for me.

How long do your dry fasts last?
Do you not feel drained for days after coffee enemas?

Jon2547

Hi Haidut,
I read thru your intial post but I don't seem to be able to find any of the references to the powerful benefits of autophagy. Is there another term you're using for it?

Dr. B

dry fast meaning you drink water but no food?
what do you think of the opposite, apparently avoiding water/liquids while continuing normal dietary intake can help with weight loss?
why coffee enemas, how do you get these done? are there doctors or people who do these for money.

Yucca

Dry fast = NO water, and no food.

did it once for 3 days, and a few times for 24h. Very easy, easier in fact than water fast. With water, you still have some inflammation, and without no inflammation at all. It’s really healthy, if you have the mind and no fear to begin with.

Dr. B

did it once for 3 days, and a few times for 24h. Very easy, easier in fact than water fast. With water, you still have some inflammation, and without no inflammation at all. It’s really healthy, if you have the mind and no fear to begin with.
why/how does the water increase inflammation?
what about a fast where you avoid liquids? supposedly this can increase metabolism?

Yucca

Just Google « dry fasting lower inflammation » and you’ll get many results…

LLight

apparently avoiding water/liquids while continuing normal dietary intake can help with weight loss?
Can work.

I've seen studies where osmotic stress (what you can get when you dry fast) did lower inflammation through NFkB inhibition.

T

TheBeard

It's only healthy if you have had a healthy lifestyle for a sufficiently long period of time.
Someone who smokes, drinks and eats a western diet will most likely run into issues with a dry fast, it will release toxins in the blood stream way too fast, liver and kidneys will be overwhelmed.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals