Vitamin D not increasing

Bananom

My Vitamin D stays at 40 despite Supplementation of 50.000 IU per day.
I tried Magnesium but didnt feel like it did something
Whats the missing cofactor?

EasyPeaty

Do you live in a location where UV Index is high enough for Vitamin D opportunity? I live in San Diego and the highest we get this time of year is “UVI 4” at 11:55am (my opportunity to receive Vit D from absorbing it in my skin).
Last week I was on island of Kauai and the UVI was 7. Within 2-hours of laying out, I collected over 12,000 IU of Vit D naturally. There’s an App to help you track it, etc.

exile

K2 or calcium maybe? My levels went very high, probably too high with 5k of the d3 k2 Thorne product orally.

Santosh

Do you live in a location where UV Index is high enough for Vitamin D opportunity? I live in San Diego and the highest we get this time of year is “UVI 4” at 11:55am (my opportunity to receive Vit D from absorbing it in my skin).
Last week I was on island of Kauai and the UVI was 7. Within 2-hours of laying out, I collected over 12,000 IU of Vit D naturally. There’s an App to help you track it, etc.

He could be laying in the sun all he wants it wouldn't make a difference, as our impaired livers don't convert vitamin D to 25 OHD.

I tested my 25 OHD after spending 3 weeks in Portugal in August without sunscreen, it was still 20.

Mossy

He could be laying in the sun all he wants it wouldn't make a difference, as our impaired livers don't convert vitamin D to 25 OHD.

I tested my 25 OHD after spending 3 weeks in Portugal in August without sunscreen, it was still 20.
Interesting. I've never heard about a lack of liver enzymes being the problem. I'm always chronically low and I don't do well taking vitamin D3 and K2; not to mention calcium, magnesium and all the other co-factors.

EasyPeaty

I offered perspective and what I do for my Vit D levels.
Hmmmm, for me my Vit D levels are filled up naturally during summer (I spend time during midday laying flat like a sundial in a bikini). My Vit D levels usually stays high until about January and levels drop (Jan-Mar) to as low as 35-40, then I build it back up starting in April. I make sure to eat saturated fat so that my skin absorbs sunshine & the cholesterol/ Sat fat converts it to Vit D. I’m also naturally olive skin, so really have to make time during UVI window to get sunshine (I need more sun time the darker I get).

Alternatively, I checked my genetic SNPs and I do not have any mutations with Vit D - some have mutations with VDR Taq gene (rs731236) and struggle with maintaining good Vit D levels. Genetic marker could be a possible solution to find out next level info.

redpanda

"Based on one study, high levels of vitamin A can decrease vitamin D uptake by 30%, and medium and high levels of vitamin E lead to a reduction of vitamin D uptake by 15% and 17%, respectively. Vitamin K and vitamin D can also compete for absorption in the intestines" 5 Things You Need to Know About Vitamin D Supplementation

But 40 could be your optimal level.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXw3XqwSZFo&t=605s

Jonk

Did you notice any sun sensitivity? Like overheating, sun eczema, high blood pressure, or something of that kind, while staying in the sun?

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Hi there -

I've been there and out of. Here is what I would do:

1) Change brands of supplement and monitor changes.
2) Acknowledge that in obesity, fat tissue takes in most of the vitamin D, so it takes time to affect the blood count.
3) Acknowledge that magnesium mostly helps with the conversion of 25 hydroxy to 1-25 hydroxy while the test is for 25 hydroxy.
4) Inadequate calcium (or magnesium to a lesser extent) along with an elevated PTH (or other stress hormones) will increase the conversion of 25 hydroxy to 1-25 hydroxyvitamin D. Next time you draw labs, in addition to 25 hydroxy, get 1-25 hydroxy tested (calcitriol), ionized calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, PTH, TSH, and prolactin. This will give you a better idea of what's happening. Moreover, ensure that you are eating close to 1.5-2 g of calcium per day.

Good luck.

GTW

Magnesium is the cofactor that assists proper utilization and prevents Vitamin D from increasing over 40. That's good.
Excess Vitamin D causes magnesium depletion.

GTW

For example, it was shown in the amoeba almost a century ago (93) that magnesium prevents calcium entry into the cell when calcium is present in excess. In addition, magnesium prevents calcium exit during calcium-deficient conditions and “in the presence of magnesium, less calcium is required for optimum movement” (93) in these one-celled animals. These basic cellular calcium-magnesium interactions are at work in human cells (94, 95), in which the imbalance of these 2 essential minerals can give rise to cellular phenotypes manifesting the physiologic symptoms of modern chronic diseases (96)

aniciete

It definitely has to do with conversion in the liver. I think I saw on another thread you also have high blood retinol which could also indicate your liver.

I got 3 months of high noon sunlight last summer and my vit d level went from 25 to 26.

GTW

>Magnesium supplementation increased the 25(OH)D3 concentration when baseline 25(OH)D concentrations were close to 30 ng/mL, but decreased it when baseline 25(OH)D was higher (from ∼30 to 50 ng/mL). Magnesium treatment significantly affected 24,25(OH)2D3 concentration when baseline 25(OH)D concentration was 50 ng/mL but not 30 ng/mL. On the other hand, magnesium treatment increased 25(OH)D2 as baseline 25(OH)D increased.Mg is essential in the metabolism of vitamin D, and taking large doses of vitamin D can induce severe depletion of Mg. Adequate magnesium supplementation should be considered as an important aspect of vitamin D therapy.Magnesium supplementation increased the 25(OH)D3 concentration when baseline 25(OH)D concentrations were close to 30 ng/mL, but decreased it when baseline 25(OH)D was higher (from ∼30 to 50 ng/mL). Magnesium treatment significantly affected 24,25(OH)2D3 concentration when baseline 25(OH)D concentration was 50 ng/mL but not 30 ng/mL. On the other hand, magnesium treatment increased 25(OH)D2 as baseline 25(OH)D increased.

Jonk

It definitely has to do with conversion in the liver. I think I saw on another thread you also have high blood retinol which could also indicate your liver.

I got 3 months of high noon sunlight last summer and my vit d level went from 25 to 26.
Did you notice any sun sensitivity from being out in the direct sunlight?

ironfist

Mainly, why brand of vitamin D are you utilizing for this 50,000 a day? It's possible it's misdosed.

Next, I am unsure how much adipose surrounds you,, but bigger people need more D3.

Finally, 50,000ii a day is a good way to develop hypercalcemia. As much as everyone here seems to love calcium, you want to avoid getting that. It hurts and doesn't go away for a long time.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals