Vertigo!

I have developed vertigo when I am waking up from sleeping the night and stand up. Sometimes it happens when I am lying down, and I feel dizzy.

Could this be an inner ear virus? Seems like something that came sort of quickly. It coincides with little or no starch and lots of nasal allergies that are a bit unusual for me in the summertime.

Edited to add: I am taking certirizine...maybe that's causing this??

Last edited:

SOMO

Could definitely be an electrolyte imbalance, i.e. dehydration.
I had poor balance (to the point where I was literally swerving left and right) while walking during a period where I was drinking a lot of alcohol and smoking cannabis -both of which dehydrate people.

Yes, an ear infection can definitely cause this, but it's not the only cause of vertigo. Still, going to an ENT doc might be worthwhile. If you don't have the time/money to see a doc, drugstores have those ear cleaning kits that sterilize the ear and remove earwax and they use Carbamide Peroxide which is a pretty benign ingredient. I had to use this product for a few days before my doctor removed compacted earwax from my ear. It's technically for earwax removal, but it also disinfects.

My grandmother has vertigo and she's deathly afraid of salt, even though it definitely wouldn't hurt.

I think before you try anything drastic, just try adding more of ALL the electrolytes - sodium, potassium, calcium and definitely magnesium especially before bed time.
Also try adjusting the elevation of your pillow to be neutral and not high/fluffy so that more blood goes to your head. You could even try sleeping with the tip of your head slightly off the bead.

Lot of room for self-experimentation here, please report back.

Jackrabbit

Try Dramamine. Basically benedryl. There are other less drowsy options. I find that antibiotic ear drops and an antiseptic nasal spray called sino-fresh have cleared up any bacteria lurking in my sinus cavity which connects to ears and eyes. Could help resolve the underlying issue. Also, if you are like me you stopped drinking water while peating and I found I need to drink at least 3-4 glasses a day to stay hydrated during the summer. My kidneys actually started to feel painful after months of drinking oj coffee and milk

SOMO

Try Dramamine. Basically benedryl. There are other less drowsy options. I find that antibiotic ear drops and an antiseptic nasal spray called sino-fresh have cleared up any bacteria lurking in my sinus cavity which connects to ears and eyes. Could help resolve the underlying issue. Also, if you are like me you stopped drinking water while peating and I found I need to drink at least 3-4 glasses a day to stay hydrated during the summer. My kidneys actually started to feel painful after months of drinking oj coffee and milk

+1 to drinking water.

I actually think there's something metabolically different about just plain water vs plain water+coffee.

Wagner83

Have you tried a tbsp of bamboom shoots salad (good olive oil as dressing) twice a day for a week or two? I'm not talking about carrots. Have you considered dropping all supplements for a while?
Btw I remember my doc told me anti-histamine drugs had to be rotated otherwise they became much less effective.

Last edited:

Peatful

I have developed vertigo when I am waking up from sleeping the night and stand up. Sometimes it happens when I am lying down, and I feel dizzy.

Could this be an inner ear virus? Seems like something that came sort of quickly. It coincides with little or no starch and lots of nasal allergies that are a bit unusual for me in the summertime.

So you’re waking then realizing you have vertigo correct?
Sounds like cortisol. Low blood sugar.
2-4am window?
You’re gonna have to try and eat simply more calories if you want to continue low to no starch.
Try an adrenal cocktail (coconut milk, OJ, collagen and a pinch of salt) before bed or just a lot of ice cream for two or three nights and note changes.
Would like to say more, but gotta run.
Keep us posted.
Want to hear more about your gut health too.

Edit: adrenal cocktail is recipe from Josh Rubin at East West Healing.

Last edited:
OP
ecstatichamster
it could be any of these things. And thank you SO MUCH for your ideas.

First thing I'm going to do, is not take the ceterizine. I'll keep you posted. Then it's water and the other suggestions...

Wagner83

I forgot to add that if you are drinking lots of store bought orange juice and taking aspirin I would question their effects on allergies and the rest, as I explained in a thread on aspirin (btw) . In case you ever consider reintroducing some starch, I remember both gbol and westside mentioned positive effects of white rice on absorbing toxins and being positive overall, perhaps adding half a cup once or twice a day can help.

OP
ecstatichamster
I forgot to add that if you are drinking lots of store bought orange juice and taking aspirin I would question their effects on allergies and the rest, as I explained in a thread on aspirin (btw) . In case you ever consider reintroducing some starch, I remember both gbol and westside mentioned positive effects of white rice on absorbing toxins and being positive overall, perhaps adding half a cup once or twice a day can help.

Thank you. Much appreciate this. I use really good orange juice. I take aspirin for headaches but not every day. Interesting idea about toxins and rice.

OP
ecstatichamster
Dr. Peat wrote to me:

Allergenic or undigested food can release toxins that cause in inner ear balance mechanism to swell. Fibrous foods to stimulate the intestine often help.

Today the vertigo is worse. I have actually had a lot of bread (relatively speaking) the last two days (with digestive enzymes.) No certirizine. Maybe that theory will be out the window.

I've been drinking a lot of water too...

Waynish

Could be having so many organisms without actual release... Like you say you practice in your other thread.

Vertigo is one of my biggest health issues at the moment. I notice it gets aggravated when I do things that lower my estrogen/increase metabolism (progesterone, vitamin e, c, Benadryl, calcium rich foods). Things that help me out seem to be Magnesium, Salt if high adrenaline, Lapodin, and things that generally relax me. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what it is that's causing it and what can help me out, but just know you're not the only one.

D

danishispsychic

A couple of things have worked for me with this. One time when I decided to slather on Progesterone it happened. The other time I got a virus from my swimming pool. My Dr. told me Dramamine and Claritin D. That worked to dry up the inner ear. The next time it was a release of built up ear wax - I use this stuff for swimmers ear ( drops on Amazon ) that is basically alcohol. That works every single time for me.

Wagner83

Did you put your diet with starch and the one without in cronometer (e.g. potassium/sodium)? I saw that some anti-histamine drugs are also used for vertigo, perhaps using one for too long increases the sensitivity to histamine issues (like the allergies you mentioned)? I don't know anything, these are naive guesses.

Mad

I experience vertigo from time to time... Actually, vertigo along with heart pains was what brought me into my suitor in the first place a couple years ago where he did blood work and diagnosed my hypothyroidism. I think I had read both of these things could be related to the hypothyroidism.

One observation I've had is that although I'm not sure what brings the vertigo spells on, I do recognize that it is worsened by high stress situations for me. I can keep the worst of it at bay by paying attention to this.

Jackrabbit

I wonder if as per peat’s email that anything that stimulates the bowels could help assuming that helps you get rid of excess toxins. Also possibly activated charcoal or antibiotics.

OP
ecstatichamster
Dr Peat wrote further

I’ve seen a couple of vertigo epidemics that were supposed to be caused by a virus, but if you have been eating fruits such as peaches, pineapples, plums, cantaloupe, apricots, etc., that contain starches and fiber, that could have increased bacterial toxin formation.

OP
ecstatichamster
And Dr. Peat wrote that antibiotics and laxatives can help.

My bowel movements have been oddly slow, despite eating a ton of fruit. It could be high amounts of crappy cheese I'm eating (low fat cheese with enzymes) along with the fruit,

I started cascara sagrada and also more magnesium to kind of get things moving better in the bowel department.

I took a single azithromycin a few nights ago.

I also began sleeping again in my chair as opposed to my bed. I did NOT have vertigo today until I lay down for a bit, then I had some. But it is much better so far.

I will take another azithromycin tonight maybe.

Just keepin' ya posted. I never imagined so many people would be suffering vertigo, so glad I am involved in this thread and I appreciate all your experiences and suggestions.

Dave Clark

Vertigo is also linked to inner ear fungal infections, candida issues, etc. People on this forum like sugar, which feeds candida and fungus.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals